Who's gonna be the next RDA/Lawler/Werdum?

sirmorbach

These violent delights have violent ends
@Black
Reaction score
In other words: which currently "average" fighter can potentially become a monster out of nowhere?

edit: I'm getting some backlash for calling these three guys "average". Listen, lads, I am well aware they were always good. I think it is safe to say though that their careers did change from water to wine. Even though they were good fighters already, they went from top 20, top 10, to world champions. This post by @Zelig sums it up:

RDA, Werdum & Lawler weren't considered elite fighters for a good stretch of their careers believe it or not, idk if you guys weren't watching mma before 2012 or what the backlash is about on that..

Last edited:
Brain fog, please help. The black European dude with the red Mohawk

Edit:
Ya Marc Diakiese. Thanks pal.

Gunnar Neilson. Future WW champion. Undefeated when not poked in the eye.

BJJ world champ, ADCC champ, first man to defeat prime Fedor.... Werdum was never average, you fucking noob.

BJJ world champ, ADCC champ, first man to defeat prime Fedor.... Werdum was never average, you fucking noob.

Easy does it. I'm talking about their careers. Werdum was cut and then became the heavyweight champion.

Good question. Those 3 were always good, though, so it's probably someone who's currently good also.

Maybe Brunson?

Conor.

No No hear me out. He's beat some good guys, though right now I think some of them take the rematch.

He's never defended a title. He has used a clever combination of brilliant marketing and (even if sometimes in hindsight) perfect opponent selection, and maybe even a little bit of luck, to become the most popular fighter in the world, but no hardcore will argue that he is even a top 10 GOAT.

I think one day his pride will get the better of him, and when he has enough money to not care anymore, he will start taking tough fights to prove himself. Dare I say, he may even defend a belt (if he hasn't been stripped at that point.)

I think he will win some, lose some, and late in his career will have a resurgence similar to Lawler. If he were to do that, the numbers would be huge. Biggest fall from grace/comeback ever.

Don't get me wrong, this is a 2.37% probability, but it could happen :p :p

HW: Stefan Struve, Chase Sherman
LHW: Cutelaba, Cirkunov
MW: Braga Neto, Markus Perez
WW:Mein. Luque
LW: Charles Oliveira, Will Brooks
FW: Michael Johnson
BW: Sterling, Dvalishvili
FlyW: Yuta Sasaki, Louis Smolka

You totally missed the point. When he added better striking to his arsenal, his overall game improved by leaps and bounds. That version of Werdum would've wreaked havoc in Pride.

CM Punk, got his blue belt...now he will be unstoppable

Gastelum? He's similar to RDA and Lawler in that changing divisions helped him. Werdum is a very different case. Some think Lawler was also helped by things he can't get away with in the USADA era...but there's no way to prove that. He definitely brought a killer instinct to the UFC which was totally lacking in his final SF match against Larkin. I thought he was washed-up, unmotivated and done after that fight.

Back