Who's the 3rd GOAT behind Jordan and LeBron?

lol Pippen wasn't All Star level until that 1st championship season on the Bulls. MJ had no way to know how that was going to work out after losing back to back to the Pissed-ons. But he stuck it out and was the main reason his team finally got passed that Detroit team. Pippen developing into a better player was part of MJ's doing -Scottie flat out admits this without question, as do other Jordan teammates and media/coaches that spent loads of time with those teams. The fact that you don't seem to know any of this says quite a bit about bothering to take you serious in a discussion about this topic.

And no, Lebron did not face and defeat a back-to-back defending champion Piston team with 3 future Hall of Famers that was on its way to becoming a dynasty. Jordan was the alpha on a team that did that tho. Odd that you seem to need this pointed out to you as well if you mean to come across as credible in a discussion here.

Lebron has also never done any of this in the strongest conference in the NBA, Jordan did.

Yea, its interesting thinking back to those seasons when the Pistons beat the Bulls. I can remember it being so stressful for Pippen that he had migraine headaches and Jordan once famously commented something to the fact that Pippen needed to be a man or man up or he wasn't being man enough to handle the Pistons. Of course we all know that once they got by that team there were two three-peats in the cards.

Timestamped here showing Jordan and Pippen get beat up. One crazy moment is that at 5:06 Laimbeer elbows Pippen in the head, who falls to the court and then what happens? The ref drags Pippens body off the court at 5:20 while play continues!

That interview really happened, that quote is a legit Jordan quote -and him going out and burying six 3 pointers in the 1st half of game 1 in the NBA finals to set a finals record right after that interview actually happened.

giphy.gif

Feel free to google it and see it for yourself. I don't need to because I watched it live in the finals as it happened.
I watched it live too. Big deal.

It doesn’t change the fact that Jordan didn’t just decide to be a great 3 point shooter for that game only to prove a point and then revert to being a mediocre 3 point shooter the rest of his career. You don’t believe that’s what he did do you?

It doesn’t change the fact that Jordan didn’t just decide to be a great 3 point shooter for that game only to prove a point and then revert to being a mediocre 3 point shooter the rest of his career. You don’t believe that’s what he did do you?

No you didn't.

And what do I believe? I believe..

giphy.gif

How many finals appearances you Lebron guys legit think he has if he has to come out of the West every year instead of the mediocre East?

2, maybe 3? He'd most likely be undefeated in the finals at least because we know the East can't handle LBJ lead teams, but he doesn't get 8 straight coming out of the West.

Jordan got 6 out of a 7 year span and many believe it's possible he gets 8-9 depending on the retirement thing/breaking up the dynasty after #6. And thats all in the strongest conference in the NBA. Granted, by the end of the Bulls run that was starting to change (imo).

8 straight on Lebrons end is remarkable, but he had to seek out other All Star/HoF level players to do it (the Miami years) and then slide over to another team that had gone out and grabbed a couple of All Star level players (one drafted, one via other means in Love).

And he had to come out of the weakest conference in the NBA to do it.
It’s disingenuous though to make a comparison and say Lebron had so seek out other players when Jordan simply had them. The fact is the bulls went on to win 55 games without Jordan. That’s unimaginable for any Lebron team. And that doesn’t mean Jordan wasn’t ridiculous and the bulls were that much better than the Cavs or even the heat. The bulls were loaded and perfectly constituted.

No you didn't.

And what do I believe? I believe..

giphy.gif
Lol at I didn’t.

I was watching Jordan at NC.

And nice non answer. Because you realize how absurd it would sound.

It’s disingenuous though to make a comparison and say Lebron had so seek out other players when Jordan simply had them. The fact is the bulls went on to win 55 games without Jordan. That’s unimaginable for any Lebron team. And that doesn’t mean Jordan wasn’t ridiculous and the bulls were that much better than the Cavs or even the heat. The bulls were loaded and perfectly constituted.

The team that did that after Jordan left was a much different team than the one Jordan helped push past the Pissed-ons. They had a lot of experiece and Championship pedigree by then, which matters. Pippen and Horace had also grown as players -something MJ was a part of helping with.

If MJ steps away from the Bulls after losing to Detroit twice in a row -that Bulls team doesn't win 50 plus games and and come within seconds of going to the NBA finals.

And no, it's not disingenuous to make this comparison. Not when people want to constantly make arguments for Lebron improving his teammates then claim Jordan never did as an argument against Michael when the evidence is right there that MJ had a lot to do with helping an entire team develop into a fucking dynasty. Lebron had to seek out already established All Star players he had zero role in helping improve before playing with them. And that's the point you seem to miss when wanting to push past the point.

Jordan is the greatest scorer in the history of the game. His style was penetration in the lane, dunks, mid range fade aways, etc. If MJ wanted to be the greatest 3 point shooter you've ever seen, he likely would have been but he wasn't playing that role on the team, guys like Paxton and Kerr were.

Jordan is the greatest scorer in the history of the game. His style was penetration in the lane, dunks, mid range fade aways, etc. If MJ wanted to be the greatest 3 point shooter you've ever seen, he likely would have been but he wasn't playing that role on the team, guys like Paxton and Kerr were.

Exactly. He was the greatest scorer ever without needing to lean on 3's because of all the things you just listed. Let's also overlook the fact that you know.. defense was a lot different back then which didn't allow for the same inflated stats we see today. And MJ still put up incredible scoring numbers.

MJ did not concentrate on becoming a better 3 point shooter until a little later in his career.

Exactly. He was the greatest scorer ever without needing to lean on 3's because of all the things you just listed. Let's also overlook the fact that you know.. defense was a lot different back then which didn't allow for the same inflated stats we see today. And MJ still put up incredible scoring numbers.

MJ did not concentrate on becoming a better 3 point shooter until a little later in his career.

Why is it hard to acknowedge he wasn’t a very good 3 point shooter for his era. He wasn’t. It didn’t stop him from being the best scorer, but he couldn’t just turn it on and hit 3’s when he wanted.

If mj wanted to be the best baseball player he could have been that too.

It’s hilarious this notion that if he wanted to do something he could. As if shooting 3’s is no different a skill than dunking a basketball. I’m sure he could have been the best ft shooter too. He just didn’t want to be.

I will say this. I've gained slightly more respect for Lebron during these playoffs. He has absolutely carried this team to the Finals, in a way he hasn't done since the first Cleveland run. I'd still posit that he's about on the same level as Bird, Wilt, etc. and maybe a notch above Kobe, Hakeem, etc. If he somehow leads the Cavs to winning the Finals this year, I'd be willing to call him, at least, tied for the second greatest ever.

It’s hilarious this notion that if he wanted to do something he could. As if shooting 3’s is no different a skill than dunking a basketball. I’m sure he could have been the best ft shooter too. He just didn’t want to be.

I'm not talking about baseball, but in basketball, yes, Jordan could do pretty much anything.

His career average for free throws was .835 but he was otherworldly as a player. He was a psychological assassin. He famously in a game shot his free throw with his eyes closed after Dikembe Mutombo talked shit to him while he was at the line.

I'm not talking about baseball, but in basketball, yes, Jordan could do pretty much anything.

His career average for free throws was .835 but he was otherworldly as a player. He was a psychological assassin. He famously in a game shot his free throw with his eyes closed after Dikembe Mutombo talked shit to him while he was at the line.

So why is steph and many others better at the line? Jordan didn’t want to be better?

So why is steph and many others better at the line? Jordan didn’t want to be better?

I never said Jordan was the greatest FT shooter of all time. This started because I said he was the greatest scorer of all time, which he was. His .835 career average for FT's is excellent, not the greatest but its excellent. Larry Bird was a tremendous free throw shooter and his career average was only .886 but he had 5 seasons where he shot .910, .916, .947, .930, and .926, 4 of those seasons were consecutive.

I don't understand this obsession people have with Curry. He isn't a better scorer than Jordan and he wasn't better at free throws than Steve Nash or Mark Price. Yea, he's an excellent player but people take the shit way too far in this generation acting like we haven't ever seen players like him before. Yea, he will go down as the top 3 point guy but he only averages 23.1ppg.

People saying he'd be the greatest 3-point shooter ever are going too far, but the argument that he'd be a much better shooter if he chose to work on it has some merit.

When his incredible athleticism began to wane and he became more of a jump shooter and attempted more 3-pointers, his percentage actually went up. In fact, in his only 3 seasons where he attempted more than 3 3-point shots per game, he averaged 39.2%

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

He shot poorly in seasons when attempted around 1 3-point attempt. And of course, this is way before this 3-point mania of today where the entire league tries to shoot as many as possible and obviously work on it a lot more.

So yes, the greatest scorer ever would have been even better if "wanted to" or if the conditions of the game asked for it.

People saying he'd be the greatest 3-point shooter ever are going too far, but the argument that he'd be a much better shooter if he chose to work on it has some merit.

When his incredible athleticism began to wane and he became more of a jump shooter and attempted more 3-pointers, his percentage actually went up. In fact, in his only 3 seasons where he attempted more than 3 3-point shots per game, he averaged 39.2%

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

He shot poorly in seasons when attempted around 1 3-point attempt. And of course, this is way before this 3-point mania of today where the entire league tries to shoot as many as possible and obviously work on it a lot more.

So yes, the greatest scorer ever would have been even better if "wanted to" or if the conditions of the game asked for it.
His only decent 3 point years were when they moved the line in.

I never said Jordan was the greatest FT shooter of all time. This started because I said he was the greatest scorer of all time, which he was. His .835 career average for FT's is excellent, not the greatest but its excellent. Larry Bird was a tremendous free throw shooter and his career average was only .886 but he had 5 seasons where he shot .910, .916, .947, .930, and .926, 4 of those seasons were consecutive.

I don't understand this obsession people have with Curry. He isn't a better scorer than Jordan and he wasn't better at free throws than Steve Nash or Mark Price. Yea, he's an excellent player but people take the shit way too far in this generation acting like we haven't ever seen players like him before. Yea, he will go down as the top 3 point guy but he only averages 23.1ppg.
I asked because someone made the argument he could be the best 3 point shooter ever if he tried. Lol.

We haven’t seen a player like steph. No one says he’s a better player or scorer than Jordan but there’s never been anyone capable of doing what steph does as good as steph does it. He simply is in a category of his own.

lol Pippen wasn't All Star level until that 1st championship season on the Bulls. MJ had no way to know how that was going to work out after losing back to back to the Pissed-ons. But he stuck it out and was the main reason his team finally got passed that Detroit team. Pippen developing into a better player was part of MJ's doing -Scottie flat out admits this without question, as do other Jordan teammates and media/coaches that spent loads of time with those teams. The fact that you don't seem to know any of this says quite a bit about bothering to take you serious in a discussion about this topic.

And no, Lebron did not face and defeat a back-to-back defending champion Piston team with 3 future Hall of Famers that was on its way to becoming a dynasty. Jordan was the alpha on a team that did that tho. Odd that you seem to need this pointed out to you as well if you mean to come across as credible in a discussion here.

Lebron has also never done any of this in the strongest conference in the NBA, Jordan did.

So his 4th year? Thanks for proving my point.

The Pistons team LeBron faced was a damn good. Don't know why you're using copious amounts of butthurt to try and discredit them. I said it before those Bull wouldn't be undefeated in the finals if they had to face the Spurs that LeBron did.

Lastly, players give other teammates credit. More at 11!

So his 4th year? Thanks for proving my point.

The Pistons team LeBron faced was a damn good. Don't know why you're using copious amounts of butthurt to try and discredit them. I said it before those Bull wouldn't be undefeated in the finals if they had to face the Spurs that LeBron did.

Lastly, players give other teammates credit. More at 11!

Would be epic. Bulls win, though.

Back