Why are fruits and veggies so expensive in the US?

ga_ninja

Whopper or Die
@purple
Reaction score
I went to the grocery store today and spent 30 dollars on fruit and veggies and i only got some peaches,cherries,bananas,onions 2 different types,jalapenos,sweet peppers,green grapes and water. I was like WTF at the self checkout im trying to slim down but this shit is too expensive. Yes i have a good job too now finally but damn.

Because the government wants people to die earlier so they don't have to pay their pension for 30 years

Maybe try to buy them from a food market rather than a store if you have those available. They tend to offer better quality products for cheaper.

Quality of food sucks in the US. I'm at the end of our vacation in France and it's just shocking how cheap and high quality food is at the food stores. Beef is super expensive as is most meat. Other than that, stuff like cheese and in season veggies/fruits are fantastic.

They should ne3ver be allowed to sell apricots and peaches in the US until they taste like they do here. OTOH - if you don't eat the fruit within 2 or 3 days it goes bad. I'm gonna guess that has a lot to do with why it tastes so good.

meanwhile @ the local mcdonalds, $5 scores you a mega-soda and the healthiest of meal *rolls eyes*

Quality of food sucks in the US. I'm at the end of our vacation in France and it's just shocking how cheap and high quality food is at the food stores. Beef is super expensive as is most meat. Other than that, stuff like cheese and in season veggies/fruits are fantastic.

They should ne3ver be allowed to sell apricots and peaches in the US until they taste like they do here. OTOH - if you don't eat the fruit within 2 or 3 days it goes bad. I'm gonna guess that has a lot to do with why it tastes so good.

France has really high standards for food (I'm from there) and its neighbouring countries like Spain, Portugal and Italy also do too. I lived in the UK and it just wasn't the same. Now I'm in Sweden and the food quality is great too (not to the extent of France but close).

I think the US focuses too much on fast foods, genetically modified foods, etc. as there is more demand for it. That means good quality products become more expansive as there's less demand for it.

I went to the grocery store today and spent 30 dollars on fruit and veggies and i only got some peaches,cherries,bananas,onions 2 different types,jalapenos,sweet peppers,green grapes and water. I was like WTF at the self checkout im trying to slim down but this shit is too expensive. Yes i have a good job too now finally but damn.
Can you please a picture of your receipt or just tell me how much you paid for how much (weight) article.
I'll see if its more expensive than here in Europe.

If you have a nice size yard plant them, i have a cherry tomato tree, a dwarf papaya, and dwarf banana tree, bell pepper, green onions, jalepeno, eggplant, Swiss chard, dwarf fig tree and orange tree in my backyard.

AFAIK the American government supports certain industries like corn heavily which makes products made out of it cheaper.

I'm in the process of creating my own gardens. I'm growing my own foods.

I implore every human being to begin doing this. Especially those living in US and UK.

It's a learning curve though. Figuring out best conditions for each fruit, veg and spice while ensuring slugs, squirrels and sneaky corvids don't have free meals can be tricky.

We've all gotten too used to living in, what I like to call, The Macdonalds era. Now we are suffering the consequences of it.

Since January this year I got back to the gym and now that I'm older I've began to properly adopt healtheir eating. My perfomances in the gym over something like beetroot juice will trump the idiots injecting roids into their ass. Those guys will have problems while beetroot is probably doing tons of good on me (although it tends to make my piss pink coloured).

I'm in the process of creating my own gardens. I'm growing my own foods.

I implore every human being to begin doing this. Especially those living in US and UK.

It's a learning curve though. Figuring out best conditions for each fruit, veg and spice while ensuring slugs, squirrels and sneaky corvids don't have free meals can be tricky.

We've all gotten too used to living in, what I like to call, The Macdonalds era. Now we are suffering the consequences of it.

Since January this year I got back to the gym and now that I'm older I've began to properly adopt healtheir eating. My perfomances in the gym over something like beetroot juice will trump the idiots injecting roids into their ass. Those guys will have problems while beetroot is probably doing tons of good on me (although it tends to make my piss pink coloured).

I have my own garden as well, love it, also beet root juice is the best, better than any supplement i ever took for cardio. I juice it with apple and carrot and drink it before working out.

I have my own garden as well, love it, also beet root juice is the best, better than any supplement i ever took for cardio. I juice it with apple and carrot and drink it before working out.
Wait wait wait.... I feel you have some good advice.
Why apple and carrot? Is it just a taste thing or do these two add a more complete nutritional advantage before a workout?

Wait wait wait.... I feel you have some good advice.
Why apple and carrot? Is it just a taste thing or do these two add a more complete nutritional advantage before a workout?

its a taste thing but apple and carrot both have great nutrients, ever drink pure beet juice? taste like sweet dirt with a hint of metal, I make sure to peel the beat so the dirty skin is not juiced, it has a lot of important mineral because of the slight metal and dirt taste.

But I enjoy it best when I add an apple and carrot and then I drink it with cold ice cubs so good. nice sweet flavor great juice to enjoy and helps with the liver, kidney, blood, and heart.

ever drink pure beet juice? taste like sweet dirt with a hint of metal.

lol funny but true, same if you roast em...

That is expensive though, $30 nzd ($20 usd) is enough for a week's worth for me and my misses but prices have been rising a lot recently. Also season is affecting prices

lol funny but true, same if you roast em...

That is expensive though, $30 nzd ($20 usd) is enough for a week's worth for me and my misses but prices have been rising a lot recently. Also season is affecting prices
Beets is the real deal, I have tried everything and man there are a few natural remedies and things you take that legit work

Cabbage juice for ulcers, and gut repair and Beet juice for stamina and positive vibes, the issue like you said is the cost, I stopped drinking it because it cost a grip

You can also saute the greens and eat them they are healthy

Its because of supply and demand, also farmers have to pay spend more cash for pesticides.

Back