Why are "kids" allowed to get charged as adults?

palerider500

The Rational Thinker
@Blue
Reaction score
Serious question. I never heard a good answer. Perhaps you guys could change my mind.

Seems pretty simple to me: If you're a minor, you should get charged as a minor. If you're an adult, you should get charged as an adult.

Do you Agree or disagree?

Serious question. I never heard a good answer. Perhaps you guys could change my mind.

Seems pretty simple to me: If you're a minor, you should get charged as a minor. If you're an adult, you should get charged as an adult.

Well sometimes people who are technically kids commit crimes that the juvenile system isn't designed to handle.

What about those kids that did an armed home invasion in Florida and forced the boy in the house to have sex with his mom then poured cleaning solutions on his eyes and made him drink bleach? Do they get to go to juvie and get out when they're 18?

I'm all for charging them as adults and sending them to YA until they're 25 then the bigtime (pen) when they turn 25 to complete their sentences. YA is a fucking gladiator school

Once you hit a certain age you pretty much know right from wrong. Are kids more liable to make an irrational decision, of course. Does that mean they should have lesser consequences, absolutely not. For crimes like the one listed above and murder, shit like that, they should be tried as adults and left in YA until they become of age to continue their sentence in prison.

Put it in these terms. Kid comes into your moms house and executes her over some jewelry and a little bit of money, as the victims son how would you want him tried?

Why do people always want black and white answers with the law? Lawyers make a living on the gray area.

If the kid has no idea of the consequences of their actions thats one thing.

If they understand the consequences, they should be charged as an adult.

IMO, in a perfect world, 3 psychiatrists would decide after meeting and conferring with the child. Then it would be the courts decision on punishment after the child / adult decision is made.

But that's not how it works.

Unless it’s a vicious murder or something like shooting up a school, I agree they should be tried as minors and shouldn’t be in jail past 25

What about those kids that did an armed home invasion in Florida and forced the boy in the house to have sex with his mom then poured cleaning solutions on his eyes and made him drink bleach? Do they get to go to juvie and get out when they're 18?
You can hold a juvenile til there 26 but I agree with your point

Is this about those kids that killed that guy by throwing rocks on the freeway?
Was just reading about that case, reminds me of the movie Sleepers
Great movie
Dem kids gonna get molested

Do you seriously think a 17 year old and a 18 year old have any difference mentally? Shit, I would say most people already have a mind of it's own by age 12 and haven't changed much since.

Depending on the crime, I think it's fit to charge them as adults. If you are willing to kill or rape at age 12, you think they won't at age 18?

EDIT: If this is about the free fall rock killing the man..then yes it should. They are old enough to know about free fall and the damage it can do. These are bad bad boys..

EDIT: If this is about the free fall rock killing the man..then yes it should. They are old enough to know about free fall and the damage it can do. These are bad bad boys..

I'd be for giving all 5 of those punks the electric chair, but that's just me. :eek:

Well people here tend to think it's OK for 30 year old female teachers to have sex with a 16 year old. So you can't have a double standard. If a 16 year old is "adult" enough for sex even though they are technically a "minor" they are old enough to be charged with a crime like an adult.

You can't have it both ways. And ya, grey area too depending on the severity of the crime and the exact age of the kid.

Well sometimes people who are technically kids commit crimes that the juvenile system isn't designed to handle.

By contrast, how about when an adult commits a childish crime (vandalism, shoplifting, etc.), why don't we charge them as minors?

It seems to be a misbalance of justice when prosecutors can argue to try a child as an adult but the defense can't argue to try an adult as a child.

Those kids should be shot in the back of the head and their organs used for transplant. Pity that's not an option.

Do minor crime, do minor time.

But kill someone? Into the meat-grinder with you.

if we have to give a definitive answer, then i agree with you. the problem, is that 18 years old is an arbitrary number. some kids mature faster than others, and vice-versa. some, "kids" have the maturity of adults and are aware of their actions, and the damage that can be caused by those actions. this is why once a kid is, say 14 and above, i think most would say that they are self-aware of their actions, but are still legally considered minors. kind of messed-up to treat someone as a minor when the minor in-question is clearly thinking like an adult.

to me, it all has to be on a case-by-case basis. that's best. leave these things up to juries to decide. that's why they're there. to deliver the, "general will" of the people.

Immature shit.....charge them as juveys
Evil shit....charge them as adults

I don't see teens as kids. So a 7 year old shooting someone holds a different weight in my mind than a 17 year old. I agree with @IIIIIIII. Different people mature at different rates and 18 is just an arbitrary number that might not even be the same legal age of adulthood in all places. If you commit an extremely heinous crime the option for a greater punishment should be on the table. Especially if it's committed with a malicious intent.

As far as those fucks in Michigan go I think they should drop a Indiana Jones size boulder on them.

Back