Why are "kids" allowed to get charged as adults?

Well people here tend to think it's OK for 30 year old female teachers to have sex with a 16 year old. So you can't have a double standard. If a 16 year old is "adult" enough for sex even though they are technically a "minor" they are old enough to be charged with a crime like an adult.

You can't have it both ways. And ya, grey area too depending on the severity of the crime and the exact age of the kid.
say that 16 year old walked into his history teachers classroom and shoots him in the head should he just go to juvie for it? Say a 16 year old goes to the park a pulls a .22 out and demands a woman to give him her money but she doesn't do it fast enough so he shoots her two month old baby in the head and laughs should he be treated as a kid? Use your fucking head that teacher is the one being charged with the sexual assault on a minor you twisting that around is pedo thinking you got going on.

I've heard Florida is a hole but this is incredible. I can't even imagine things like this happening in a first world country

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/0...ng-rape-woman-forcing-son-to-participate.html

WrDrE1y.png

The adult justice system is equipped to handle those types of crimes, so why wouldn't they handle them? The juvenile system, however, isn't equipped to handle all crimes.

The adult legal system is the main legal system for handling all crimes. The juvenile courts are there to take the burden away from the regular courts for small crimes committed by juveniles.

Wouldn't trying some immature adults as juveniles also help ease the burden off the adult courts? I see no reason why this is a one way street other than the desire to create the harshest sentences possible for everyone.

say that 16 year old walked into his history teachers classroom and shoots him in the head should he just go to juvie for it? Say a 16 year old goes to the park a pulls a .22 out and demands a woman to give him her money but she doesn't do it fast enough so he shoots her two month old baby in the head and laughs should he be treated as a kid? Use your fucking head that teacher is the one being charged with the sexual assault on a minor you twisting that around is pedo thinking you got going on.

My point is either 18 is an "adult" or it isn't. You can't pick and choose which laws to abide by. In all your scenarios I say the 16 year old is an adult actually. But it's very tricky right? What if a 15 year old does it? 14? 10? 8? The law has to draw a line somewhere otherwise you just keep going donw that slope.

I actually think 16 is old enough to be tried as an adult or have sex as an adult btw. 18 is a bit ridiculous in this day and age. And you can't buy a beer until 21? Asinine.

My point is either 18 is an "adult" or it isn't. You can't pick and choose which laws to abide by. In all your scenarios I say the 16 year old is an adult actually. But it's very tricky right? What if a 15 year old does it? 14? 10? 8? The law has to draw a line somewhere otherwise you just keep going donw that slope.

I actually think 16 is old enough to be tried as an adult or have sex as an adult btw. 18 is a bit ridiculous in this day and age. And you can't buy a beer until 21? Asinine.
so you're just looking for reasons/excuses to bang 16 year olds?

There are a shit load of juvies who are just a vicious and evil as adults. Some people are fucked up enough early in that rehabilitation is a pipe dream.

Charge them as adults and keep them away from victimizing the public when they would get out if juvie.

Well sometimes people who are technically kids commit crimes that the juvenile system isn't designed to handle.

Shouldn't they just give the juvenile system more latitude to handle criminals then? I would think that would be simpler. Of course, then what do you do with their record when they turn 18? Yeah, I guess trying them as adults makes more sense.

if we have to give a definitive answer, then i agree with you. the problem, is that 18 years old is an arbitrary number. some kids mature faster than others, and vice-versa. some, "kids" have the maturity of adults and are aware of their actions, and the damage that can be caused by those actions. this is why once a kid is, say 14 and above, i think most would say that they are self-aware of their actions, but are still legally considered minors. kind of messed-up to treat someone as a minor when the minor in-question is clearly thinking like an adult.

to me, it all has to be on a case-by-case basis. that's best. leave these things up to juries to decide. that's why they're there. to deliver the, "general will" of the people.
Great well-thought out response. Thanks so much.

Once you hit a certain age you pretty much know right from wrong. Are kids more liable to make an irrational decision, of course. Does that mean they should have lesser consequences, absolutely not. For crimes like the one listed above and murder, shit like that, they should be tried as adults and left in YA until they become of age to continue their sentence in prison.

Put it in these terms. Kid comes into your moms house and executes her over some jewelry and a little bit of money, as the victims son how would you want him tried?
The problem is that none of it is consistent.

So we are not giving "children" any benefits to being an adult but if they commit some crime, THEN we treat them like one?

Does that not sound illogical to you?

If the kid has no idea of the consequences of their actions thats one thing.

If they understand the consequences, they should be charged as an adult.

IMO, in a perfect world, 3 psychiatrists would decide after meeting and conferring with the child. Then it would be the courts decision on punishment after the child / adult decision is made.

But that's not how it works.
BUT their not an adult so they should not be charged like one.

Depending on the crime, I think it's fit to charge them as adults. If you are willing to kill or rape at age 12, you think they won't at age 18?
So depending on who raped a person, that should determine the length of their sentence?

If they are getting charged as an adult, they should be treated like one.

And if you join the military and can die for your country but can't buy alcohol because you're not 21 that's a travesty too but it's the law.

Don't make excuses that its ok for people to be evil because of their age
It's not an excuse, he gave a very valid REASON.

Kids should get the benefits of adults if their treated like one.

The problem is that none of it is consistent.

So we are not giving "children" any benefits to being an adult but if they commit some crime, THEN we treat them like one?

Does that not sound illogical to you?

No it doesn't at all. I have been locked up and believe me these little fuckers know exactly what they did and more than half of them are not one bit remorseful. Again here you are making excuses for them. They don't get adult privileges so they shouldn't be charged like an adult? Really that's the best argument you could come up with?

Maybe I need to be a bit more specific myself. Kids should be charged as adults for high end crimes like murder, rape things of that nature. Now if the little shit head stole a pack of gum scare him a bit and give'em community service and hopefully he'll straighten up after that. Problem with todays society is we give an excuse for everything now and label, everyone gets a trophy even though they didn't win...You fucking commit murder than eat shit and do your time period

Wouldn't trying some immature adults as juveniles also help ease the burden off the adult courts? I see no reason why this is a one way street other than the desire to create the harshest sentences possible for everyone.

Just because it's an adult court doesn't mean the sentencing is harsher. They are just more capable of handling the type of crime. Juvenile courts were made specifically to handle the unique needs of children, not provide softer sentencing.

Really, there is such a thing as a stupid question, and it's asked by stupid people.

Shouldn't they just give the juvenile system more latitude to handle criminals then? I would think that would be simpler. Of course, then what do you do with their record when they turn 18? Yeah, I guess trying them as adults makes more sense.

It would be a good idea, but it happens so infrequently it's not worth the effort.

Guessing originally it was so they could kill black kids legally

Again, what is this "adult shit" you guys keep speaking of?

Are you really trying to argue that kids can't kill or murder? Only adults can? Really?
If you're capable of murder, you're an adult. It's that simple dude.

Serious question. I never heard a good answer. Perhaps you guys could change my mind.

Seems pretty simple to me: If you're a minor, you should get charged as a minor. If you're an adult, you should get charged as an adult.

Do you Agree or disagree?

Because sometimes dead is better.

Back