Why are people so surprised Ortega got destroyed?

CBohl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He always gets destroyed for all fight until he pulls of a sub or some lucky strike.

Only fight I can remember that he wasn't losing was the Frankie Edgar fight.

Holloway Natty Bless.

215_Max_Holloway.0.jpg

I don't think too many folks were seriously surprised tbh.

The vast majority of the posts I read prior to the fight seemed to lean towards Holloway smashing him, especially if his weight / neuro issues were in order.

Are people that surprised?

Most people thought max would win by ud or late stoppage? Like 70/30?

Some thought ortega would sneak a hail mary finish in there.. with good reason looking back at his run..

People thought Max health might be a concern.

I picked max to win personally.

Last edited:

The vast majority of the posts I read prior to the fight seemed to lean towards Holloway smashing him, especially if his weight / neuro issues were in order.

Its was a pickem fight by many betting websites out there.
But yeah some people fall hard for the hype

yeah the guy lost like every round and now he fought one of the best strikers in the whole mma. I don't know why people thought this guy stands a real chance against Max.

this.
Max's health issues were what people had no clue if he was indeed better and how it would affect him.
Well, add how Ortega dispatched Frankie though, it seemed like a dangerous fight for Max not being 100%.
Glad he squashed those rumours with an amazing performance.

Last edited:
He always gets destroyed for all fight until he pulls of a sub or some lucky strike.

Only fight I can remember that he wasn't losing was the Frankie Edgar fight.

Holloway Natty Bless.

215_Max_Holloway.0.jpg

because max holloway has been a crippled shell for the past year?

Yeah Ortega definitely had some problems with his opponents like Guida and Moicano come to mind in terms of Ortega having to pull off a last round finish to win.

Ortega has a legit killer instinct and can finish the fight with anybody that he gets a hold of, he almost reminds me of Martin Kampmann back in the day, not necessarily because of his skills set but just because he always finds a way to win fights where he gets put into some bad spots.

Max is just way too talented to get caught lacking like that, one of the most impressive moments was in round 3 or 4 I believe when Ortega tried to snatch Max’s neck for the guillotine on the break and Max had none of it.

Ortega was outclassed badly.

This. Most people favored a healthy Max ftw. I think the "surprise" was just the degree of onesidedness and the amount of punishment dished out by Max.

As long as Max was healthy I believed he would win, as well as most people I talk with that follow ufc. The books had them almost even with Ortega slightly favored. I think people were just very concerned about max coming in healthy.

Peiople thought Max health might be a concern.

I picked max to win personally.

This definitely was the biggest factor for most of the people betting on Ortega to win.

It's easy to say you weren't surprised after the fact. Certainly that was one possibility but if we all knew how fights were gonna go, we wouldn't be watching them to see. We'd all just make bets and get rich.

People in general (even sherdoggers) aren't surprised at all.

Although, had Ortega won, a lot of people would come and say "I told you so".

Better question, where were these threads when everyone was saying Max had CTE?

<puh-lease75><puh-lease75>

Last edited:
I thought Holloway's health issues had weakened him for good. I should have been more in tune with the fact that he was supposedly at weight 3 days before the fight this time.

Never understood why so many had Ortega winning the fight. He looked great when he knocked out Edgar, but before that? He was losing until he won. Of course that still counts as a win, but how you win and how a fight progresses is what you should base your prediction on, not the W/L column. Ortega is a really good fighter but he has a long way to go before he's anywhere near Holloway.

bypassing a month of prediction threads. some were right and some were wrong but everyone was willing to put up an opinion about what might happen.

bypassing all that just to give your opinion on how the fight will go after the fact.

that’s pretty daffy.

i personally said Max would win the same way people go bankrupt - slowly and then all at once. Not my best literary metaphor ever, but not too far off as far as fight predictions go. though i didn’t give Ortega enough credit for his chin.

TLDR: next time, try giving a fight prediction before the fight happens, son.

Because Frankie is the Real Deal and he knocked him out and he made it look easy Frankie is a tough fight for anyone.

But other than that you're right ts. But we saw Ortega land some decent shots on Max other opponents may have fallen too. So it wasn't a complete washout.

Back