Why are we so soft on employers who hire illegals?

no fat chicks

Worlds greatest poster
@Silver
Reaction score
We go after innocent people filling jobs. While we ignore the job creators who willingly hire them.

Why is this never discussed around here?

Didn't walmart get caught hiring illegal russians years back for the janitorial crew?

yet millions of people still shop there b/c it's cheap as hell.....

although i do see posters here, especially right leaning ones, quite often bring up employers that get away w/ this

It's discussed frequently enough. People suggest a variety of penalties. It doesn't garner as much attention because it's easier to pile on the illegals who are not just working illegally but have also entered the country illegally. And, for those who are preoccupied with such things, the illegal entry bothers them more. Plus if you eliminate the illegal entry then you wouldn't have any illegals to hire.

Because big companies are loving not having to pay tax or benefits to people who'll work for $4/hour under the table.

I bring this up all the time.

If you really want to tackle illegal immigration you need to go after it at both ends, both the source and the incentives.

We don't and can't control the source, the countries these people come from nor can we control the free will of foreign born nationals.

We can however police the incentives, illegal employers.

It's discussed frequently enough. People suggest a variety of penalties. It doesn't garner as much attention because it's easier to pile on the illegals who are not just working illegally but have also entered the country illegally. And, for those who are preoccupied with such things, the illegal entry bothers them more. Plus if you eliminate the illegal entry then you wouldn't have any illegals to hire.

I find the people most concerned about illegals tend to be involved in industries that rely heavily on them.

I mean I don't see many liberal arts majors plowing fields or hauling lumber.

I find the people most concerned about illegals tend to be involved in industries that rely heavily on them.

I mean I don't see many liberal arts majors plowing fields or hauling lumber.

That's certainly true. People certainly don't like the implication that their job could be done for less by a less educated individual...although why they don't vote for union protections in greater numbers always surprises me.

For those specific people, they should be less concerned about the actual illegals and more concerned about what it says about their jobs and bargaining power in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck blocking entry.

It's doable assuming we're willing to spend the money. It's not clear we're willing to spend the money.
I don't think the absurd amount you would have to spend, along with the inconvenience at airports and border crossings, would make it worth it at all.

Good question...and under gwb we did.

Which was unfortunate imo.

When i was in college, I worked in a cafeteria on campus. Our very best janitorial staff were all illegals. As soon as new restrictions/penalties were put in place , we had to cut them loose.

They were not lazy, rapists etc...

Most of the illegals we hired came to the states to support their families....

Granted, they did send all their money back to.mexico....but they were without question some of the coolest people I've met

I don't think the absurd amount you would have to spend, along with the inconvenience at airports and border crossings, would make it worth it at all.

Well if you consider checking airports and border crossings an inconvenience then you have to reach that conclusion.

On the other hand, if you think that coming down on illegal immigration has intrinsic value towards bolstering the strength of your legal immigrant programs (and such programs could probably be expanded somewhat) then it's absolutely worthwhile.

You want people to want to come here but you want them to come here via the proper mechanics since it maximizes their chances of success once they arrive. An illegal working under the table is limited in opportunity in a way that the same individual is not limited if they came through the proper channels.

Unfortunately, both parties are guilty on this subject. The big business republicans wanted the cheap labor, and the democrats just love giving illegals handjobs.

Some good news is things at least appear to be changing. The last company was fined heavily for it. I'm all for that.

Korean deli's and restaurants seem to be the biggest culprits. Every single one of them hires illegals around here. And they own a large percentage of businesses.

Most illegals are hired by small businesses but everyone wants to pretend it's corporations while.

Nobody wants to attack small business owners politically

People suggest a variety of penalties.
We have no need for suggestions.

We have an entire Act (Immigration and Nationality Act) which unequivocally lays out the laws (and their subsequent penalties) forbidding the hiring of illegal immigrants).

it's not the giant retail stores/ businesses that hire illegals. It's mostly the small mom & mom's stores/business that hire illegal workers.

Giant retail stores like Walmart or Target don't need to hire illegal workers when they can set up sweat factories in Vietnam or Pakistan or some other undeveloped countries and hire locals to work for 5 cents an hour.

Because employers vote.

We have no need for suggestions.

We have an entire Act (Immigration and Nationality Act) which unequivocally lays out the laws (and their subsequent penalties) forbidding the hiring of illegal immigrants).

Yes but people suggest what they think would be more effective than the existing penalty systems.

‘It’s just business’.

We worship the almighty dollar. What makes America great also hurts us in a lot of ways.

Back