Why aren't Wilders looping punches more common in boxing?

He's not the most educated puncher around and his reach, power and chin allow him to get away with it.

It will be fun while it lasts. Don't try this at home.

Last edited:
I been saying this for ages that Wilder is doing this so called "sloppy" technique on purpose. He is throwing this wide reckless loopy shots and also he is hitting with his wrists on purpose.

Its very effective and guys can't see it coming or get out of the way quick enough, and he has crazy power, he has huge power in both hands.

People that keep saying his boxing skills are so bad, just don't get it. They probably never will get it. Anyways I expect Wilder to keep being undefeated for a long time and knocking out every opponent. Fundamental and too the book trained boxers are just a waiting victim for him and stuck in old times with old fogey trainers.

Joshua is going to knock him out. His defence is underdeveloped and Ortiz nearly stopped him.

don't know how anybody could crtiicize wilder...i mean, how many times has wilder been dropped? which of his opponents has he NOT ko'd? how many fights has he lost? the guy has a damn near perfect record and mfkers on here talking stupid shit about how he sometimes loops punches. if he was so flawed, how come nobody he has fought, including ortiz, arreola, stiverne, etc...how come NOBODY has been able to take advantage and hand him a loss?

if anything, goes to show a fighter could have flaws and still be head and shoulders above the rest of the competitiion...that makes him a great fighter, until proven otherwise.

He fought bums!

A lot of the time Wilder hurts, or thinks he's hurt, his opponent with a straight right before going into a frenzy throwing wild punches that leave him wide open, and are usually not effective. He seems to lose a lot of his power when he startes winding up on those slapping shots as well. Wilder knows how to fight smart and stick to a gameplan when he wants too. It looked like he wanted to prove something in the Ortiz fight by fighting like that, but he came close to running into big counters more than once.

I hope he stops taking unneccessary risk in future fights. It can be frustrating to watch him box well only to see him rush in with hands down to throw looping shots in response to landing his fast straight right down the middle. He has the tools to beat anyone out there, including Joshua, but he's also in danger of getting knocked out cold by a counter flush on the chin against anyone if he keeps running inside with his hands down.

A lot of the time Wilder hurts, or thinks he's hurt, his opponent with a straight right before going into a frenzy throwing wild punches that leave him wide open, and are usually not effective. He seems to lose a lot of his power when he startes winding up on those slapping shots as well. Wilder knows how to fight smart and stick to a gameplan when he wants too. It looked like he wanted to prove something in the Ortiz fight by fighting like that, but he came close to running into big counters more than once.

I hope he stops taking unneccessary risk in future fights. It can be frustrating to watch him box well only to see him rush in with hands down to throw looping shots in response to landing his fast straight right down the middle. He has the tools to beat anyone out there, including Joshua, but he's also in danger of getting knocked out cold by a counter flush on the chin against anyone if he keeps running inside with his hands down.

Absolutely agree. When he loses I think it will be by a counter with him going full windmill. Joshua nearly fcked up against Wlad thinking he was badly hurt in the 5th round of their fight when he wasn't. If Wilder makes the same mistake and starts windmilling, he'll get KOd

don't know how anybody could crtiicize wilder...i mean, how many times has wilder been dropped? which of his opponents has he NOT ko'd? how many fights has he lost? the guy has a damn near perfect record and mfkers on here talking stupid shit about how he sometimes loops punches. if he was so flawed, how come nobody he has fought, including ortiz, arreola, stiverne, etc...how come NOBODY has been able to take advantage and hand him a loss?

if anything, goes to show a fighter could have flaws and still be head and shoulders above the rest of the competitiion...that makes him a great fighter, until proven otherwise.
Harold Sconiers dropped him and Molina rocked him pretty bad and Ortiz was outboxing him and was up on all scorecards before he got stopped and that's including with him being knocked down in the 8th. To Wilders credit he's always gotten the job done.

Because they are technically unsound, and because a straight punch nearly always beats a looping one.

It kind of works for Wilder, but the guy needs to be right on the end of it, even if it is just once. Smart feet and a good jab have proven themselves in spots against Wilder. Consistent performance from his adversary was the problem. They can't keep up what works for long enough.

Absolutely agree. When he loses I think it will be by a counter with him going full windmill. Joshua nearly fcked up against Wlad thinking he was badly hurt in the 5th round of their fight when he wasn't. If Wilder makes the same mistake and starts windmilling, he'll get KOd

Wilders defense will not hold. I have him being Koed somewhere in the middle of the fight against AJ.

Wilder is a top 3 ATG at HW. You have Pulev, Wlad and Wilder and then everybody else. not everybody is made of the same material as those three, and not everybody can pull the things they do

Its because its not technically correct to throw like that.

I don't mind him doing it as long as it works but its not advisory for everyone.

TBF, he only goes into super spaz mode when he thinks he's got his opponent hurt.

That's my favorite thing about Wilder actually, is that he has that killer instinct. When his opponent is hurt, his eyes actually open up and he goes crazy. I get so frustrated when other fighters sort of sit back and wait for the reaction to their big shots and lose the opportunity to finish.

I been saying this for ages that Wilder is doing this so called "sloppy" technique on purpose. He is throwing this wide reckless loopy shots and also he is hitting with his wrists on purpose.

Its very effective and guys can't see it coming or get out of the way quick enough, and he has crazy power, he has huge power in both hands.

People that keep saying his boxing skills are so bad, just don't get it. They probably never will get it. Anyways I expect Wilder to keep being undefeated for a long time and knocking out every opponent. Fundamental and too the book trained boxers are just a waiting victim for him and stuck in old times with old fogey trainers.

I'd say Wilder looks best when fighting more conventionally though, like the first Stiverne fight. He has the athleticism and dimensions to snipe behind straight punches and clinically KO guys without the risk of getting clipped himself, but he doesn't have the skill. I'd say Wilder is great despite these flaws, not because of them. Or look at his comeback against Ortiz. He didn't do it by wailing away and catching Ortiz off guard, those wide punches are easy to see coming when not set up. Instead he hurt him with a more straight right. Same with Szpilka, who was getting inside Wilder's wide shots at a low angle all night, until Wilder through a very straight right inside of his overhand left.

ImmenseOilyClam.gif

tumblr_p4ihmshTBa1ucnqpno1_500.gif

Other fighters who broke the rules knew what the rules were first and then deviated to their advantage. Whitaker and RJJ and Ali started out with a sound technical base and then figured out when they could get away with certain things. Not so with Wilder. He's made it work, don't get me wrong, but it's gotten him in trouble too when it's not necessary.

The biggest reason is that normally a big looping punch is easy to see coming, defend and throw inside of. Ortiz has success early in their fight just throwing short punches straight when Wilder was wide.

But it works for Wilder because he's got the touch of death. Even with his bad technique, you really don't want to get caught punching with him. At some point he's going to touch you back and it won't feel good. So guys end up becoming too defensive, waiting for it to end. And even those defended punches hurt.

He knocked out Stiverne cold with a punch through his guard. He has amazing power.

simple physics. the straight punch travels a shorter path to the target, therefore it gets there quicker than a looping punch even if it is not traveling as fast. a lot of you will think this is crazy talk, but i think parker would knock wilder out.

Are you fucking retarded?

And that is actually a serious question, im now curious as to why you are posting videos of someone(presumably you) slapping a kids heavybag of a table

He's got reach, power and speed so hes getting away with it. AJ also has reach, power and speed but can punch correctly.
AJ is winning this on points.

Back