Why aren't Wilders looping punches more common in boxing?

A lot of the time Wilder hurts, or thinks he's hurt, his opponent with a straight right before going into a frenzy throwing wild punches that leave him wide open, and are usually not effective. He seems to lose a lot of his power when he startes winding up on those slapping shots as well. Wilder knows how to fight smart and stick to a gameplan when he wants too. It looked like he wanted to prove something in the Ortiz fight by fighting like that, but he came close to running into big counters more than once.

I hope he stops taking unneccessary risk in future fights. It can be frustrating to watch him box well only to see him rush in with hands down to throw looping shots in response to landing his fast straight right down the middle. He has the tools to beat anyone out there, including Joshua, but he's also in danger of getting knocked out cold by a counter flush on the chin against anyone if he keeps running inside with his hands down.
They say a fighter is most dangerous when he's hurt.

I'd say Wilder looks best when fighting more conventionally though, like the first Stiverne fight. He has the athleticism and dimensions to snipe behind straight punches and clinically KO guys without the risk of getting clipped himself, but he doesn't have the skill. I'd say Wilder is great despite these flaws, not because of them. Or look at his comeback against Ortiz. He didn't do it by wailing away and catching Ortiz off guard, those wide punches are easy to see coming when not set up. Instead he hurt him with a more straight right. Same with Szpilka, who was getting inside Wilder's wide shots at a low angle all night, until Wilder through a very straight right inside of his overhand left.

ImmenseOilyClam.gif

tumblr_p4ihmshTBa1ucnqpno1_500.gif

Other fighters who broke the rules knew what the rules were first and then deviated to their advantage. Whitaker and RJJ and Ali started out with a sound technical base and then figured out when they could get away with certain things. Not so with Wilder. He's made it work, don't get me wrong, but it's gotten him in trouble too when it's not necessary.

Ali was never sound. For someone as fast as he was he could have been untouchable. He instead turned every fight into a war.

10xwy14.jpg

Bro, why don't you at least hang that bag somewhere ?? Or find a friend to hold mitts for you. Also get a double end bag to practice head movement, timing and reflexes.

Some ppl like a tightly strung bag :

But I prefer a bag with more play :

<mma4> .

10xwy14.jpg

Bro, why don't you at least hang that bag somewhere ?? Or find a friend to hold mitts for you. Also get a double end bag to practice head movement, timing and reflexes.

Some ppl like a tightly strung bag :

But I prefer a bag with more play :

<mma4> .

I don't want a bag hanging around in such a small room, especially when the padding is all worn out. I'll be back in a gym in August.

10xwy14.jpg

I don't want a bag hanging around in such a small room, especially when the padding is all worn out. I'll be back in a gym in August.

<31> Hang one outside, ya goof. Or in the Garage. And again double end bag.

wilder really gets me. lots plain ordinary, then boom. good night. i can't believe townwiz actually thinks this guy hits harder than foreman though.

Yeah the guy can punch for sure.. Still amazed how mediocre he looks technically. Foreman at least had the jab. HW Boxing must be at an all-time low.

Yeah the guy can punch for sure.. Still amazed how mediocre he looks technically. Foreman at least had the jab. HW Boxing must be at an all-time low.
he has some attributes that can't be taught, like heart and reach. i was impressed with the way he came back after getting drubbed by ortiz.

They aren't popular because most top boxers have to fight guys that know how to counter that crap. Wilder's competition obviously doesn't.

they leave you off balance it misses and you get countered, its so easy to get knocked down. Get knocked down cause of that crap and you've just given a 10-8 round. Wilder can pull it off because his competition is sub par and he's way bigger with the massive reach and height advantages, and his power is already considerable.

Back