Why BJJ is so expensive

I think he meant the human interaction with students's crazy expectations make it stressfull for him.

It depends on individuals I guess.

Almost every career, hell, almost every job, requires interacting with people, a certain % of which are going to be crazy or have unrealistic expectations. It's kind of just a part of life.

I paid $28 per week for 3 classes a week at a non BJJ school.

I now pay $35 per week for up 10 BJJ classes and 20 other classes per week.

I consider it good value, plus I don't have an extra seminar or grading every other month.

I paid $28 per week for 3 classes a week at a non BJJ school.

I now pay $35 per week for up 10 BJJ classes and 20 other classes per week.

How many of those 30 classes do you go to? 3. Emirite?

How many of those 30 classes do you go to? 3. Emirite?

Lately about 5 or so. (got a fight coming up).
But I usually do double classes during the week so 3 different days.

The real benefit of them having that many classes is that if I can't do one class for some reason I pick up another one at another time.

The old place if I can't do a class, there is no other option.

Also instead of being taught by some people who got their Black belts in 3 years 2 years ago, I am being taught by a BJJ 1st Degree BB and whatever a coral belt in Judo is.

Almost every career, hell, almost every job, requires interacting with people, a certain % of which are going to be crazy or have unrealistic expectations. It's kind of just a part of life.

Yes correct. It is very easy to ensure that you don't overwhelm with human emotion through teaching and/or working a normal job.
But it is easier to get carried away with students life and emotions as you were a student once compare to a normal job.

the volume of things to teach and to learn is not too bad if you are organised and make block of classes that covers all the basics and repeat itself to ensure that students are covering again the same topic.

It is just that people keep complaining it is expensive but somehow I dont see them teaching for free or cheaper in the future.

I did karate for $60 a month. Now the sensei was a big wig faa guy and had the dojo in a old outa the way building. No way anyone else could have done so for that price.

Same with bjj . Unless i had room for a hanger sized garage I couldn't teach bjj for under $120 a month in my area

I thought most BJJ academies are run by individual BB instructor that made a living of teaching.

This. With a few upper belts or BBs as assistants. And maybe a pt/ft office person

Our school doesnt have an office. you walk in and there is a couch and a small changing room and a bathroom, then you walk into the mat room. no sense paying someone to sit at a desk, the school isnt open all day.

sometimes if people want to get together and train when there is no class scheduled they meet there and roll. it is a pretty chill place where learning and fun take top priority. we also have a bunch of competitors and fighters too on the local circuit. the judo instructor was marti malloys instructor as well for 12 years.

Yeah, I guess $120 was the common number a few years back, when I decided that was way too expensive. I know prices have gone up since then. Overall inflation has been averaged about 3% over the past five years, yet BJJ is probably up 50%.

I really have no clue why people shell out that much money to do a sport that has basically no overhead after a few mats are purchased.
Well, for one thing, both Marcelo and John are based in New York where real estate is far more expensive. So its not just inflation. And BJJ schools of today especially Renzo's and Marcelo's are far nicer than just mats on the ground. Look at the Mendes or Cobrinha's school. These are multi hundred thousand dollar facilities, with staffing beyond just the head instructor.

I made a thread regarding this already too, but I agree that it is understandably expensive. It requires a facility, instructors, materials, and tuition(gym fees). I am helping my friend with his website that helps people pay for BJJ just like other pursuits can get financial aid. PM me if you want more info because I don't want to spam people's threads.

What do you think is reasonable for learning from someone who has spent more than a decade learning what they are teaching you?
Especially if that person has a solid lineage in the sport?

Well, for one thing, both Marcelo and John are based in New York where real estate is far more expensive. So its not just inflation. And BJJ schools of today especially Renzo's and Marcelo's are far nicer than just mats on the ground. Look at the Mendes or Cobrinha's school. These are multi hundred thousand dollar facilities, with staffing beyond just the head instructor.

That's fine. If you are looking for a large space with custom fit mats, a shiny locker room and a pretty girl behind the desk, fine. But you are going to pay for it.

No different that a regular gym. You can pay a high price for a state of the art facility, but it's not necessarily going to get you any stronger than a barbell in a garage.

What do you think is reasonable for learning from someone who has spent more than a decade learning what they are teaching you?
Especially if that person has a solid lineage in the sport?

It's not about him and what he is worth; it is about you and what is best for you. You can go to a huge class taught by a pseudo-famous jiu-jitsu guy without ever getting a lot of individual attention for $200/month. Or you can go to a class of six guys run by a good brown belt, and basically every class is a one on one for $80/month.

It's really like buying a car. Sure, you can lease a new Mercedes for $500/month, but is that really the best value out there?

live within your means but don't complain about gyms that clearly don't cater to you.

live within your means but don't complain about gyms that clearly don't cater to you.

Thanks for that advice. Do I have the right to post my opinions in a thread about the topic being discussed? Or should I just nod and look pretty?

That's fine. If you are looking for a large space with custom fit mats, a shiny locker room and a pretty girl behind the desk, fine. But you are going to pay for it.

No different that a regular gym. You can pay a high price for a state of the art facility, but it's not necessarily going to get you any stronger than a barbell in a garage.

It's not about him and what he is worth; it is about you and what is best for you. You can go to a huge class taught by a pseudo-famous jiu-jitsu guy without ever getting a lot of individual attention for $200/month. Or you can go to a class of six guys run by a good brown belt, and basically every class is a one on one for $80/month.

It's really like buying a car. Sure, you can lease a new Mercedes for $500/month, but is that really the best value out there?
Indeed, it IS about what's best for you - decided only by the individual, and not by YOU. Maybe people would prefer a nice, clean, large facility run by professionals at a premium cost. Let them choose it. They're not idiots for choosing that and you're not an arrogant, cheap bastard for choosing the cheaper option.

I couldn't care less what people choose. What I DO care about is entitled whiners that complain about the expensive things in life and what those expensive things should really cost.

Yes Mercedes are expensive. So what? I wonder if there are whiners on the Mercedes forums complaining about the costs of a Mercedes when a Hyundai is so much cheaper.

All this, as well as I think it's pretty hard to have a FT job and teach BJJ as the head instructor. So, really we have to pay for someone to train ft so we can have decent instruction.

Damn, the best you can get for 500 bucks down here is a nice kia...

Indeed, it IS about what's best for you - decided only by the individual, and not by YOU. Maybe people would prefer a nice, clean, large facility run by professionals at a premium cost. Let them choose it. They're not idiots for choosing that and you're not an arrogant, cheap bastard for choosing the cheaper option.

I couldn't care less what people choose. What I DO care about is entitled whiners that complain about the expensive things in life and what those expensive things should really cost.

Yes Mercedes are expensive. So what? I wonder if there are whiners on the Mercedes forums complaining about the costs of a Mercedes when a Hyundai is so much cheaper.

Hey ducky, did you miss the thread title? I didn't make the thread, but I did come in here to share my thoughts. Evidently, there are a few people who agree with me, too.

To extend the metaphor, it's as if this thread were titled, "Why are cars so expensive?" And I'm just here to point on that they don't have to be. Because that's the kind of guy I am. An amazing human being.
Damn, the best you can get for 500 bucks down here is a nice kia...
Yeah, I've heard cars a ridiculously expensive down there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back