Why did it become un-PC to refer to people from the far East as "Oriental?"

G

Guestx

Traditionally speaking, there was the Occident and the Orient. Occidental people, and Oriental people.

But somewhere along the line, it became no longer socially acceptable to refer to someone from the Orient as "Oriental." They must instead be referred to as Asian.

Asian = from Asia.
Oriental = from the Orient.

It's just two ways of saying the same fucking thing.

Not too long ago I saw an SJW type lose their shit because they saw a white person call an Asian person "Oriental." She acted like it was a fucking racial slur or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea man. Next thing you see is an oriental dude standing under an Oriental Massage sign somewhere, waiting for customers. It's a confusing world.

I think people are just looking to offended.

I'm 13% victim!

Dunno, but as a kid, I was always taught the term Oriental should only refer to food and rugs.

Oriental food is aight.

Traditionally speaking, there was the Occident and the Orient. Occidental people, and Oriental people.

But somewhere along the line, it became no longer socially acceptable to refer to someone from the Orient as "Oriental." They must instead be referred to as Asian.

Asian = from Asia.

It's just too ways of saying the same fucking thing.

Not too long ago I saw an SJW type lose their shit because they saw a white person call an Asian person "Oriental." She acted like it was a fucking racial slur or something.

It's Obama's fault.

Dunno, but as a kid, I was always taught the term Oriental should only refer to food and rugs.

Oriental food is aight.

I was never taught that.

People from the West are referred to as Occidental.

It's Obama's fault.

nope. we were taught that it was offensive in the 80s.

Orient/Oriental typically & ought to refer only to Chinese folks. but still, some Chinese folks find that offensive.

Asian = from Asia.

I am asian myself, but used to call myself an Oriental. Then colleges started using the term asian on their admissions forms in the mid 90s I think.

Orient/Oriental typically & ought to refer only to Chinese folks. but still, some Chinese folks find that offensive.

Why do you say it "ought" to refer to Chinese people? It can and should refer to anyone from that region of the world.

I think the koreans, and japanese did not want to be grouped in with the chinese, and thought it be cooler sounding to be called asian instead.

I am asian myself, but used to call myself an Oriental. Then colleges started using the term asian on their admissions forms in the mid 90s I think.

So for you it was never a point of contention and the two terms (Asian and Oriental) are basically interchangeable?

Why do you think "Oriental" gained a negative connotation?

I used to work with a hipster fgt about ten years ago who would always say “Excuse me, oriental is a rug”

Why do you say it "ought" to refer to Chinese people. It can and should refer to anyone from that region of the world.

China, way back when, was the first major country in the East that was the hotbed for trading goods etc. hence where the term was coined. at least that's what we were taught in elementary school.

Go read Edward Said's "Orientalism", a classic in Post Colonial literature. It is the beginning of the term falling into disfavor in academics. Basically it discusses that the term "Oriental" as a western concept to describe "exoticism" of the non western "Other".

Asian = from Asia.

all the old black folks I know from the Caribbean still use China Man to refer to an Asian person, but that is considered derogatory for some reason and its a non Asian who deemed it derogatory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism
The Orient originally meant Anatolia and Persia. Eventually came to encompass Afghanistan and India too. But the West did not interact much beyond that aside from merchants and emissaries. Hence why an "Oriental rug" referred to rugs from the middle east and the Caucuses.

Go read Edward Said's "Orientalism", a classic in Post Colonial literature. It is the beginning of the term falling into disfavor in academics. Basically it discusses that the term "Oriental" as a western concept to describe "exoticism" of the non western "Other".
<WellThere>

So for you it was never a point of contention and the two terms (Asian and Oriental) are basically interchangeable?

Why do you think "Oriental" gained a negative connotation?
it doesnt have a negative connotation, but its a term used to describe THINGS, not people.

Back