Why did it become un-PC to refer to people from the far East as "Oriental?"

Oriental is racist? That’s stupid. Asia is Russia, the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, and Southeast Asia. I thought the people of Southeast Asia were known as Orientals, figuring that was a polite term, kind of like using “African-Americans” instead of “black people.” Does anyone know the correct term for the peoples of Southeast Asia?

Different thought: words only have the power we give them. If people simply choose not to be offended by the word, then it loses its power to wound. Just saying...

I know my country still have not the PC disease and so for me it's easier... but really, why you care?

Like, what happen if you say "oriental" ?

This dude challenge you?

latest

I doubt.

Some SJW get mad?
hMkAbkQ.gif

You peoples are feeding these crap social trends by letting few wierdos tell you how to change your language to please them

This whole post is basically “wah, wah, wah, I don’t like change.”

Does honkey apply well to italians?
If so i've no probblem with it :D

But to make a closer parallel, say that Mr. Cheng is "oriental" is like say that i'm "mediterranean"

And tbh i'm "mediterranean" as fuck

Don't be a bitch my friend, i thought asians were above that crap :D
Shut up honkey! :mad:

Oriental is racist? That’s stupid. Asia is Russia, the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, and Southeast Asia. I thought the people of Southeast Asia were known as Orientals, figuring that was a polite term, kind of like using “African-Americans” instead of “black people.” Does anyone know the correct term for the peoples of Southeast Asia?

Different thought: words only have the power we give them. If people simply choose not to be offended by the word, then it loses its power to wound. Just saying...
Lbfm

This whole post is basically “wah, wah, wah, I don’t like change.”

As general rule i like changes
I dislike changes to please peoples idiocy, fanatism, propaganda, nonsense outrage etc

Recent years and 2017 are full of the latter, wich is embarassing as a former "left" guy that once gave fucks about politic

I don't like speak for others, but if i was an oriental living in USA i will probably being more upset at being nobody's political main audience rather than be pissed at semantic shit

Not that i believe many asians are bitching about it, from outside they seem like one succesful and pragmatic minority group

I symphatized for chinese peoples in UK when i read they're pissed at UK media spamming the term "asians" for criminal or suspects of obvious middle-east ethnicity, in that case instead empty semantic (specially because middle-eastern ARE asians, but the term has ever been used for eastern/south eastern ones) you have as ethnic group that don't want dirt on it's name because this or that news outlet want to win retard-PC olympics playing dumb on purpose.

Same group of peoples
Same type of issue
Way different spirit behind it

But your reply is ok too, some trends have to born somewhere

all the old black folks I know from the Caribbean still use China Man to refer to an Asian person, but that is considered derogatory for some reason and its a non Asian who deemed it derogatory.
The China Man is not the issue here. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand you do not cross. You do not! And dude, China Man is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian American, please.

The China Man is not the issue here. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand you do not cross. You do not! And dude, China Man is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian American, please.

I know I don't use the term but some of my relatives use China man, and Chinito to describe asians.

I used to think the Orient was some place in the jungle of Asia where the sun was always just setting.

Oh, you a coolie?

Why are you attacking me with real racist slurs? I told you I dont use those words like china man or chinito but people I grew up with use it and its not considered racist.

It sounds like you got on the defensive man relax.

Why do you give a fuck? Words change meaning. It used to be an insult to call someone a queer, now people are identifying as it. "Colored people" used to be acceptable, now it isn't. Shit happens.

Why are you attacking me with real racist slurs? I told you I dont use those words like china man or chinito but people I grew up with use it and its not considered racist.

It sounds like you got on the defensive man relax.
What if I told you people I grew up with use wetback and coolie and it's not considered racist?

Maybe we should all relax.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Back