Why did it become un-PC to refer to people from the far East as "Oriental?"

What if I told you people I grew up with use wetback and coolie and it's not considered racist?

Maybe we should all relax.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Do you consider china man and chinito and chino offensive?

As general rule i like changes
I dislike changes to please peoples idiocy, fanatism, propaganda, nonsense outrage etc

Recent years and 2017 are full of the latter, wich is embarassing as a former "left" guy that once gave fucks about politic

I don't like speak for others, but if i was an oriental living in USA i will probably being more upset at being nobody's political main audience rather than be pissed at semantic shit

Not that i believe many asians are bitching about it, from outside they seem like one succesful and pragmatic minority group

I symphatized for chinese peoples in UK when i read they're pissed at UK media spamming the term "asians" for criminal or suspects of obvious middle-east ethnicity, in that case instead empty semantic (specially because middle-eastern ARE asians, but the term has ever been used for eastern/south eastern ones) you have as ethnic group that don't want dirt on it's name because this or that news outlet want to win retard-PC olympics playing dumb on purpose.

Same group of peoples
Same type of issue
Way different spirit behind it

But your reply is ok too, some trends have to born somewhere

You’re throwing out the baby with the bath water. Just because some people take political correctness too far doesn’t mean the majority of political correctness is stupid, or that all the people who sympathize with Asians, who don’t want to be called oriental, are the same as the ultra liberal hippy chicks who want comedians to stop telling good jokes because they’re offensive.

What is so bad about referring to Asians as Asians, as they would like to be called, instead of orientalist? That it isn’t exactly technically correct? Is it that it puts you out to have to not say oriental? Or is it that these types of changes represent an end to when white people could be unapologetically ignorant to the implicit racism most minorities face and are probably guilty of from time to time? That question is not aimed directly at you but more the people who vilify political correctness as if it is what’s wrong in America, and make up stupid terms like SJW, and PC culture - terms which purposefully lump together really reasonable viewpoints with the most extreme ones to make the reasonable ones easier to dismiss.

Words themselves have no power, so I don't believe any word is inherently offensive. That being said, using "oriental" seems so outdated that when I see someone use it, it makes them seem like they're from the 19th century, and with the same values of the century.

Orientals as they were, decided to elect a representative through democratic vote and this representative declared the term Oriental to be offensive.

So now the collective unit that was Orientals previously have been rebranded and will police people to enforce compliance with the new language standards.

You can find the updated standards document on their website.

dont see any outrage there.

<bball1>

"Toronto's prior Mayor Rob Ford who got famous world wide for being a baffoon was almost hung as an insensitive racist when he said something along the lines of 'other kids could learn lesosns from the hard working orientals in our schools'."

In the UK we still use oriental.

Asian is for Indians/Pakistanis/Middle East

Oriental for Chinese, Japanese etc

Theres an Oriental Society at my University, that's their official title

Do you guys in the US call Indians Asian as well?

giphy.gif

nope. we were taught that it was offensive in the 80s.

Orient/Oriental typically & ought to refer only to Chinese folks. but still, some Chinese folks find that offensive.
Right? Even when I was a kid it was considered offensive. They don't like being called that, should be reason enough.

If I gotta deal with being called a snowflake every other day these assholes can deal with someone saying oriental

Put the person first. Say “a person from the Orient” rather than “an Oriental (person)” Say “people from the Caucus Mountains” rather than “a Caucasian (person)” A person isn’t defined by their disability – they are a person before anything else.

Legit can't tell if this is a serious post.

Are westerners offended to be called occidental? Maybe because it's very close to accidental and that has a slight negative connotation but Oriental just means countries from the east.

I really don't think any Westerner would be offended to be called Occidental. Either they won't even be familiar with the term, of they will accept it as a factual designation.

Back