Why did Swanson even bother turning up?

As a fan of both guys, I was a little bummed that Cub didn't let his hands go more.

He seemed to be fighting not to lose, rather than win.

That said, Frankie pressured him well, and kept him honest with the TD attempts, even though Swanson to his credit stuffed them all this time.

well.. he has a wife and kids now, and he's at a point in his career where he has to realize he's a gatekeeper for the top 5. He just signed a new deal after almost leaving UFC, so i'm guessing he is making a conscious choice to fight in a safer way that won't jeopardize his health and might retire after this contract is done.

Just stood there and let Frankie do what he does

I wouldn't say he just stood there, Frankie's pressure maybe rattled him I don't know. I noticed today how well Frankie cuts off the cage, seems to trap guys to be where he wants them to be, i can see why people say he'd be a decent boxer.

Big fan of Cub, but it definitely looks like he's way too hesitant now. He started connecting in the 3rd when he finally decided to commit to his shots. A very frustrating performance.

Just stood there and let Frankie do what he does
He should have signed to Bellator or PFL when he had the chance to recently, try to win the 145 and possibly 155 belts, "resurrecting" his career in doing so, or at least it would have aided in him ending his career with a few more highlights to it. As of now, he looks like he will be the "gatekeeper" at 145 in the UFC.

As a fan of both guys, I was a little bummed that Cub didn't let his hands go more.

He seemed to be fighting not to lose, rather than win.

That said, Frankie pressured him well, and kept him honest with the TD attempts, even though Swanson to his credit stuffed them all this time.
We all knew he had no chance

I wouldn't say NO chance, although Frankie certainly seems to have his number. lol
If you mean in the same way I could win the Powerball; then technically he had a chance. But we all knew who would win before the fight.

He had a good little run going, talks at points of him being close to the title and then he comes out and performs like that. He was just cruising in third gear and has no sense of urgency, never did anything surprising or out of the ordinary, just stood and defended and threw a few jabs. Complete waste of an opportunity

Cub had an off night it seemed, which will happen in any job you have

Before the fight, I did think Cub would at least take a round this time, but Frankie probably wanted to wash the stench of his Ortega loss away and wanted it more

At the same time, Edgar wasn't exactly terrific himself. Looked a little long in the tooth, a little slower, and it's becoming evident Frankie is in the 4th quarter of his career but his heart still gets him a long way

My assessment - It was a pointless rematch between two fan favorites, good guys, and veterans. Neither exactly gained anything from it - Frankie didn't go out & make a statement like he probably should have, and Cub took another loss to him. Usually there is an ulterior motive by the brass for rematches like this, and I'm still trying to figure out what it is, but there could've been other fights made for these guys instead.

You kidding me? Cub proved what we all believed he couldn't do and stuffed every single one of Edgar's takedowns. Unfortunately it came at the cost of his own offense. He wasn't able to get loose and turn the fight into a typical Cub fight because he was focused on defending the takedown. So its frustrating and disappointing, but still shows an improvement on his part. It was a much more competitive fight any way you look at it.

This is yet another example of a superior striker losing to the striking exchanges to a wrestler because they are worried about getting taken down.

maybe he spent alot of his time wrestling and defending take downs in training and had to sacrifice time getting squared away with his striking as a result.

I don’t think Cub gives a shit about the belt or winning.

He showed up for a payday and it showed. Franky look like crap as well.

I was thinking the same exact thing. Swanson was soooooooo hesitant and tentative. I don't know what was wrong with him but he was not letting go at all.

Back