Why do Americans look them for moral insight and political advice?

Social Distance Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
@Madmick , I understand if you merge this thread..

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/d...tein-never-lecture-us-on-anything-ever-again/

I thought about posting this in the Harvey Weinstein mega thread, but this article goes beyond that issue.

I came across this column, and it demonstrates the complete and utter hypocrisy of the Hollywood Elite, especially in regards to their silence and tacit cover up of the sexual predator, Harvey Weinstein.

I’m still puzzled as to why so many look to them for moral insight, or believe them to be politically/ethically astute.

We’ve all seen the “enough is enough” ads by Hollywood, lecturing us about guns.

We’ve all seen Jimmy Kimmel use his comedy show as a soapbox to lecture us on a host of issues.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Hopefully, now…more and more Americans will realize that many of these supposed beacons of morality are full of $hit.

they get spread pervasively everywhere, but the election showed that ultimately people don't fall for that shit

Hollywood is a propoganda organ almost as much as it is an entertainment one

Celebs parrot whatever ideology the power players want. This gets them access to better career opportunities (toe the party line essentially).

They should not be taken seriously because they are typically not genuine (their careers are based on deceiving people to begin with).

They are some of the worst people to be taking guidance from for those reasons.

"We've all seen (clergy, cops, firemen, teachers, politicians, artists, etc.) express opinions/take actions that are agreed with/admired, but some of them have done bad things. Enough is enough. We should disregard everything they all say."

I don't think they do, really. Just because someone is saying something on TV doesn't mean a lot of people are listening to it.

But the answer is probably the same as "why do American's care so much about what football players do?" We've put athletes and actors on pedestals for a long time, and with the invention of the TV broadcasting they became nearly god-like, transported to all of our living rooms simultaneously to whisk us away from our problems for a few hours. It's essentially a drug. And if your drugs started talking to you about politics, you'd probably pay attention. And if they said "we're not going to work the way you want us to, until you start working the way we want you to" we probably wouldn't be too happy about that.

Most of Hollywood tends to be liberal. So of course their opinions are going to resonate with other liberals. But I don't think they're changing minds; just galvanizing them. Same way Clint Eastwood isn't changing any minds - people who agree with him just listen. People who don't, don't.

I just fired all of that from the hip. Could be a pile of horseshit.

I still think it's funny people use Kimmel as some moral compass when he was a Man Show host.

Well, we look to these people because they command our attention. The same qualities that cause people to spend their money see people sing songs or pretend to be space men also cause people to pay attention when these folks tell us what they think about politics and current events.

It's strange that there's this impulse to categorically disregard anything said by a professional entertainer, it comes up in any thread where celebrity opinions are mentioned. We don't do that with other industries, really.

be ause people build an emotional attachment to them, so their pleas carry a stronger emotional weight

It's strange that there's this impulse to categorically disregard anything said by a professional entertainer
I think that's because they always try and say why common people should or shouldn't do something but they're so far removed from that lifestyle that sometimes you wonder if they even wear the same shoes more than once.

Well, we look to these people because they command our attention. The same qualities that cause people to spend their money see people sing songs or pretend to be space men also cause people to pay attention when these folks tell us what they think about politics and current events.

It's strange that there's this impulse to categorically disregard anything said by a professional entertainer, it comes up in any thread where celebrity opinions are mentioned. We don't do that with other industries, really.

well other industries dont go that far outside their element with as much visibility

there arent headlines saying "wisconsin custodian bravely stands against trump"

I still think it's funny people use Kimmel as some moral compass when he was a Man Show host.

Kimmel: Hey everyone, I have something really important to say about Harvey Weinstein and the objectification of women in Hollywood.
Corrolla: But first, girls jumping on trampolines.

be ause people build an emotional attachment to them, so their pleas carry a stronger emotional weight

There must be some sort of evolutionary trait involved with this behavior. Like equating social status to authority or something, which may have been more useful in the past in a more tribal environment. Nowadays it is well understood that celebrities have this unusual influence on people who look up to them, so they are utilized heavily with marketing products. But, products and ideology/opinions can be marketed to the public using the same techniques so using celebrities to market ideology works.

Kimmel: Hey everyone, I have something really important to say about Harvey Weinstein and the objectification of women in Hollywood.
Corrolla: But first, girls jumping on trampolines.
The problem isn't that he says it, it's that he, Kimmel, acts like has the moral high ground when frankly in my opinion he does not.

The problem isn't that he says it, it's that he, Kimmel, acts like has the moral high ground when frankly in my opinion he does not.

Cassidy himself came up with the "Kimmel Test" and lied to the country and Kimmel directly. He's not a political comedian generally, but he got roped into that. He made good points, and made them well.

Cassidy himself came up with the "Kimmel Test" and lied to the country and Kimmel directly. He's not a political comedian generally, but he got roped into that. He made good points, and made them well.
I have no idea what you are referencing there man so could I get a bit more?

Like who the Hell is Cassidy?

Right. That was the point of highlighting the fact that he was on and profited from a show that directly objectified women. He contributed to the culture even if he didn't step over the line like Weinstein.

Right. That was the point of highlighting the fact that he was on and profited from a show that directly objectified women. He contributed to the culture even if he didn't step over the line like Weinstein.
Didn't realize we were in agreement... my brain isn't fucking functioning today.

I have no idea what you are referencing there man so could I get a bit more?

Like who the Hell is Cassidy?

Sorry, Bill Cassidy, Republican senator from Louisiana who came up with the most recent attempt to fuck people on healthcare (Graham-Cassidy).

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...my-kimmel-test-kimmel-says-he-lied/684254001/

http://variety.com/2017/politics/news/jimmy-kimmel-bill-cassidy-healthcare-1202564210/

Thought that's what you were referring to by bringing Kimmel up.

Back