why do boxers jump rope?

i don't know about you guys, but i can't skip with regular ropes... i can only skip with weighted ropes, every time i try to go back to the regular ropes my timing is way off and i end up swinging the rope faster than i'm jumping lol

+1

I have a standard rubbery kind and it's too fast through the air. The second one I bout had some kind of mechanism in the handles which added some beef to the grip and weight, now it's much more controlled of a motion.

a lot of the guys at my gym do all sorts of crazy shit with the rope, i just skip with both feet together like a girl scout for now.

^ Haha. This thread has made me feel better about my jump roping ability abilities for sure.

How many of you guys have been skippping hard with a speed rope, and then stepped on it by mistake? My first few times trying to double jump the rope (2 skips on 1 jump) I whipped myself soo badly.

Nothing says beginner boxer like some whip marks on your arms :icon_chee

Wait 'til you get good though. It's totally worth it.

P.S. Can't believe everyone forgot to talk about the benefits to your forearms...

Yeah, my trainer makes us skip at the END of the workout. It fucking sucks and I get frustrated easy because I can skip well when fresh, but when I'm arm weary my forearms are dying after like 2 minutes. And we do 3 rounds straight usually.

Haven't had to in a while, though, I've been glad of it.

Yeah, my trainer makes us skip at the END of the workout. It fucking sucks and I get frustrated easy because I can skip well when fresh, but when I'm arm weary my forearms are dying after like 2 minutes. And we do 3 rounds straight usually.

Haha that sucks. If my trainer is in a bad mood, we sit against the wall and hold our hands above our head and get clocked in the gut with a stick he has specifically for that purpose.

A bitch for the legs, and the abs.

Why....? Big calves!

I much prefer the thick plastic ropes - have some weight to 'em. Killer on the shoulders and works the wrist-forearms good too. Helps to keep you light on your feet plus the added workout on the arms is the bonus!

You guys have officially freaked me out.

My boxing coach asked me to pick up a jump rope for myself. In his words it's to, "drop some weight and get some... coordination."

Aw man... This right after BJJ. Nuts to me.

^^^
Skipping is pretty gay at first but as soon as you feel your self getting lighter in sparring/on the bags you will thank your trainer.

Watch out for your toes!

How many of you guys have been skippping hard with a speed rope, and then stepped on it by mistake? My first few times trying to double jump the rope (2 skips on 1 jump) I whipped myself soo badly.

Nothing says beginner boxer like some whip marks on your arms :icon_chee

Wait 'til you get good though. It's totally worth it.

P.S. Can't believe everyone forgot to talk about the benefits to your forearms...

i've been skipping rope since i was 17 and i assure you it never stops

like mr. sinister said, typically its after your workout when you're tired is when you're prone to doing that

lol i cudnt jump rope when i started

i could jump it 5-6 times and then fuck it up

now im a lot better......its a good warm up

Sounds horridly wonderful!

what kinda rope should i buy for home use? we use leather ropes in class.

what kinda rope should i buy for home use? we use leather ropes in class.

Leather isn't as bad a "rope" (whatever those old school white ones are made of) but both are slow compared to plastic. I vote plastic.

I like my plastic/rubber one... it is made by everlast. got it from models and i love it.

Any tips on WHERE to jump rope? I don't have access to a gym 24/7 (only a "normal" gym and I certainly don't want to go skipping there)

I don't have enough space in my room to do it, and to be honest I'm afraid of looking like an idiot doing it outside where anybody can see! I'm also just starting and I'm pretty bad now. I used to use a rope-style rope, and I could go like 5 minutes non-stop, but this is a plastic speed rope and after 10 seconds I start tripping on it.

Too bad this exercise is considered "gay" by most people :(

awesome, thanks. i'll start off slow tonight, maybe 10 minutes. then i'll do some pushups, crunches, and back to jump rope.

You will be a machine if you keep this up.

Jumping Rope burns roughly 11 calories a minute, and helps a hell of a lot with foot work.

To be totally honest I think even an uninformed civilian would assume that any grown man jumping rope was doing it for boxing training. Unless of course you actually skip down the sidewalk singing a nursery rhyme or something.

I am 6'4 and I really suck at jumping rope. Any suggestions ?

Back