why do boxers jump rope?

Take it slow, jumping rope should be an enjoyable activity (like your daily run), especially if it's a warmup for actual training. Well, at least that's how we see it at our Muay Thai school.

i've got an heavy steel rope (thai style), i can jump... but i can't do tricks like crossing hands...

how did you learn it?
it just seems impossible....

maybe should i choose a plastic speed rope?

Yeah, get a plastic or leather speed rope if you wanna do some boxer stuff man. Thai ropes aren't meant for such things.

Yeah, get a plastic or leather speed rope if you wanna do some boxer stuff man. Thai ropes aren't meant for such things.

yeah...
my trainer is skipping with a boat rope like this:

MarlowBoa.jpg

he keeps saying that my steel rope isn't heavy enough... he's crazy.
what's the point on skipping slow and heavy? training shoulders? :icon_chee

i prefer this skipping style... just because is cool to watch:
YouTube - FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. DANCING WITH THE JUMP ROPE

My favourite thing is skipping on a cold morning and whacking my toes...yeh!

day 2 after jumping rope thighs sore ash fuh! cannot jump rope now plays basketball

day 2 after jumping rope thighs sore ash fuh! cannot jump rope now plays basketball

I always jumped rope as an adolescent because I wanted to be able to dunk like Dominique Wilkens and MJ.

I ran into a problem about 11 months ago though when I was doing 3 minutes rounds as fast as I could with 10 pound ankle weights on each leg. After using the ankle weights for a few months I developed edema in both knees, and bursitis in left knee(trailing leg, power punch). I still jump when my knee is not enflamed or swollen, but for anyone using using ankle weights, learn from my mistake. It will mess up your knees.

I was thinking in investing in some of the Strength system items like the 20 pound jump rope and weighted vest. Though I don't think that the Strength shoes would suit me well in my current condition. Not to mention that their products are expensive.

Simple answers:
A: Light on your feet, You should try one leg at a time alternating.
B: Cardio, I know we dont compare exercises on here but Skipping 10mins = Running 30mins Ive been told.

Attacking Soccer players skip alot too for the same reason being light on your toes = More Mobility!!

I used to jump rope all the time, but then I stopped.

Why the hell did I do that??

I'm going back out and buying rope tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration, guys.

jumping rope used to be my least favorite thing to do when I started boxing but now I love it,I can do it in my sleep, and your feet are way faster when you jump rope, I went 4 months without jumping rope and I felt really slow in the ring,jumping rope has a ton of pros.

Try skipping with one of these for 20 minutes of you want to test the endurance of your shoulders, forearms, and legs. This is not your standard boxing jump rope and not even a weighted jump rope you pick up at your local sporting good store can compare. Try not to smack your toes if you are skipping barefoot. You'll be sorry if you do:D

jump.jpg

Back