Why do fighters get so fat in between camps?

Well, I'm 47 years old, 6' tall and have been about 155 lbs all my adult life. I can eat 12 cupcakes and I will still be 155 lbs tomorrow. I have a ridiculous metabolism and always have...I know from experience on the other end of the spectrum. I eat 4000 calories a day and still don't gain weight. People are different and it varies greatly.

The body is definitely capable of producing states where more energy is consumed than what is put in, leading to people losing weight really fast, and incapable of putting on fat.

Hyperthyroidism is just one of the many conditions that can cause this. An excess of the thyroid hormone overstimulates metabolism and speeds up the nervous system, with effects comparable to taking a shot of adrenaline.

The body is definitely capable of producing states where more energy is consumed than what is put in, leading to people losing weight really fast, and incapable of putting on fat.

Hyperthyroidism is just one of the many conditions that can cause this.

Yeah, but I'm healthy. I have endless energy, still play full court basketball and softball league shit. This isn't hyperthyroidism...it's just a fast metabolism. It works for me. I don't feel my age at all.

Yeah, but I'm healthy. I have endless energy, still play full court basketball and softball league shit. This isn't hyperthyroidism...it's just a fast metabolism. It works for me. I don't feel my age at all.

Indeed, but even among people who do not possess a naturally fast metabolism, the body is still potentially capable of increasing the rate of metabolism, although with various, potentially negative side effects (that are comparable to running the body on "over-drive", beyond its genetic capacities). All that needs to happen is the increase of certain type of hormones in their body.

Many people say that "fast metabolism" is a myth, but considering that conditions such as Hyperthyroidism exist, it appears that there is a lot of merit to this so-called "myth".

Fat cells grow but they never go away.

You work your ass off to shrink them, but they expand incredibly easily. Really hard to shrink, almost instant to expand.

I was on a strict diet for a year, went on vacation for a weekend, and put on fifteen pounds in less that three days.

Once you get fat, you're fucked for life. The number of people globally who lose more than five percent body weight and keep it off for two or more years is statistically zero.

Fighters who indulge when not in a camp are making the biggest mistake of their career. They're adding a hurdle for every camp they will ever have going forward.
Fake news.

451778080-bantamweight-champion-tj-dillashaw-and-gettyimages.jpg
<Steiner01>

Some people maybe just after 15 solid years between h.s. and college wrestling after making some cash.... decide to idk maybe give less fucks. ? Idk.

Edit... implying years in the ufc.

Indeed, but even among people who do not possess a naturally fast metabolism, the body is still potentially capable of increasing the rate of metabolism, although with various, potentially negative side effects (that are comparable to running the body on "over-drive", beyond its genetic capacities). All that needs to happen is the increase of certain type of hormones in their body.

Many people say that "fast metabolism" is a myth, but considering that conditions such as Hyperthyroidism exist, it appears that there is a lot of merit to this so-called "myth".
I don't think my case is necessarily a widespread thing, compared to those on the other end of the spectrum. Obviously at 47 I'm not fighting any time soon nor have I ever been in the cage, but I could probably cut down to 145 if I didn't drink protein shakes and stuff like that between meals, which I normally have to do especially if I'm too active.

Some of the best tasting food is unhealthy, and they can't eat it for months during camp, so they splurge when they can.

buddy of mine was a regional champ, and yeah i never understood why he would get so outta shape between fights. it wasnt crazy outta shape, but enough to be like "dude cmon, you're supposed to be an athlete". other buddy is boxing coach and when in shape can wreck shit, buuuuut would rather just coach and be a lump. i guess it's a fighting thing, why put yourself through 365 torture when you only fight so often? i couldn't do it, but i'm soft and would rather deal with violent special ed dudes.

If you were in athletic shape, you wouldn't ask this question

It takes a lot of work, a lot of effort... especially in MMA with the high weight-cutting ratios? You're going have to be as strong and lean as possible.

That requires monitoring every meal, counting every calorie... vigorous amounts of exercises and fitness routines, coupled with non-stop training...

It can get very exhausting after 10-20 years...

Bullshit a cup cake is a cup cake of calories, and a calorie is a calorie. Calories in, calories out, and unless you have a medical problem i seriously doubt your calories out are magically different from some other guy the same height/ weight/ activity level

I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but I had a roommate in the service who ate garbage and never exercised, yet he was pretty much shredded. We were about the same height and I probably had about 50 pounds on him, but I could run him into the ground at any distance over a quarter mile. I was on the verge of being put on the “fat boy program” and he had a six pack. He was just that way naturally, no diet, no exercise.

Pig Rigg

Diego Sanchez used to fluctuate a lot

Masvidal maybe although I think he just said he used to eat whatever he wanted

Mark Munoz got FAT once or twice

Not trying to be a dick... But Mark Munoz is someone that I think struggles with his weight. Based on pics he was looking pretty big.. strange for a high level athlete, especially one that could get pretty jacked...

Most athletes put on weight in off season. When you train intensively over a long period of time you consume a lot of food to maintain energy. So when the training stops and the food intake remains, you put on weight

If you were in athletic shape, you wouldn't ask this question

It takes a lot of work, a lot of effort... especially in MMA with the high weight-cutting ratios? You're going have to be as strong and lean as possible.

That requires monitoring every meal, counting every calorie... vigorous amounts of exercises and fitness routines, coupled with non-stop training...

It can get very exhausting after 10-20 years...

Then how come some fighters are in shape 365 and some aren't? Better yet, how come there some athletes who are retired that are still in fantastic shape? The only reason is laziness. If someone wants to let themselves go after years of training fine, but that doesn't change the fact that it is because of laziness.

It’s not unprofessional until they fail to make their contracted weight.

They aren’t lazy or undisciplined, they’re enjoying life. I drink every weekend. I don’t drink when I have to go to work the next morning, but I might drink mid-week if I have the next day off. I’d rather drink every night, but I know I can’t because I have to perform at my job. I show up to work sober. Because I have control over this, and I don’t have to drink, I’m not an alcoholic.

If a fighter likes to eat and doesn’t have the need to keep in perfect shape (believe it or not, you can improve in martial arts without six pack abs showing), as long as they are on wait and in shape come fight time, what’s the issue? Additionally, having the “perfect” body can be a detriment to performance, as more muscles will require more oxygen which will lead to more gassing (See Yoel Romero’s gas tank as a prime example)

Not everyone has the genes to have a perfectly cut body. Matt Lindland never did, and for a period of time he was considered a top 3 185er.

Now when I see a normally in shape fighter come out to fight looking fatter than normal, that’s a cause for alarm, like Werdum did vs JDS in 2008 where he legit had a gut on him.

Then how come some fighters are in shape 365 and some aren't? Better yet, how come there some athletes who are retired that are still in fantastic shape? The only reason is laziness. If someone wants to let themselves go after years of training fine, but that doesn't change the fact that it is because of laziness.
Your body changes as you age. It takes much more effort and discipline to maintain your athletic shape as you age, and encounter more wear and tear.

Another factor is injuries. Can't train much of anything at all if you are injured.

To call a professional athlete lazy, is just really, really stupid. You're here judging a fighter's athletic shape based on body fat%. They have a gut so they are lazy? Most bodybuilders have no gut, they can't run a simple 5km in under 30 minutes. There's a lot going into it

Now, stop being lazy and go get yourself ONE black belt, you lazy fuck

Not trying to be a dick... But Mark Munoz is someone that I think struggles with his weight. Based on pics he was looking pretty big.. strange for a high level athlete, especially one that could get pretty jacked...

Yea I was thinking afterwards and I think he blew up after the Weidman KO loss as he had some time off. The transformation picture afterwards when he got back in shape was insane. I was a big fan of his

Because good food is true happiness. Im eating righy now 11:24pm carne asada,grilled chicken, bbq corn, grilled asparagus.....

Back