Why do Fighter's with Cardio Problems ignore said problem?

I disagree.

I used to run a 12 minute mile.
I worked on my conditioning and can run it in 11:38 now.

Why can't UFC fighters work on their conditioning like that?
12min mile is slow as fuck. Most ppl walk 4 MPH so 15 min mile.

Are you using your hands in wheelchair?

The answer is they are lazy or have a bad team that doesn’t push them to fix thier cardio issues.

The best example is tito. He had some fights he lost due to cardio like against frank for example and fixed it.

He never had that issue again.

Cardio is one of the easier parts to fix and or improve, as long as it’s actually a physical cardio issue and not a lack of heart.

I disagree.

A 12 min mile is a quick walk like speed walking not running.

3 miles in 18 minutes would be good cardio.

Obviously meant competitive. Also shredding fat is another thing that is determined in part by genetics and age.

Gteat for you, you'd kick my ass in a run, but at the same time I'd be willing to bet I'd destroy you lifting weights. Different muscle types are better at different things, and your primary type is heavily influenced by genetics. I've never been good at cardio related tasks, even as a child before I put muscle on.

Could I have worked harder and got a bit better at it? Sure. Was I ever going to be a triathlon champ or Olympic swimmer? Fuck no. So I started doing the kind of physical activity I was better at, got buff and excelled at it.
Well the marathon was 10 years ago so I suck now but yeah shedding fat isn’t just genetic, it’s a matter of changing the way your body operates. Dieting and work ethic fix everyone.

It sounds like you didn't need 5 minute miles.....what you needed was two or three hours of 7 minute miles....

You probably shouldn't be sprinting the whole time if you're trying to build cardio for endurance.....
Tried everything like that - intervals, long and slows, and even eating betweens. It just doesnt work for guys who are faster twitch. Thats why I've always said GSP is best athlete in MMA fast and could go 5 no prob. JJ is close too but not as quick.

Well the marathon was 10 years ago so I suck now but yeah shedding fat isn’t just genetic, it’s a matter of changing the way your body operates. Dieting and work ethic fix everyone.

The amount of dieting and work ethic required varies wildly from person to person.

I disagree.

Become a conditioning coach, you have a lot of money to make, bro.

Some guys just have it. Some don't. It isn't just as easy as working on it.

Yes but anyone can improve cardio, the problem is...

You kill yourself for the gains, you push your mind and soul to the next level to endure the pain and in doing so, you can improve. Problem is, it goes away super quick if you stop training in it.

Basically its hell to come, easy to go...

I say this because I am the type with shitty cardio despite not being a drinker or a smoker. Yet in spring/summer of 2010, I pushed my body and soul to the next level when I was running sprint for boxing. Got an amazing cardio but then rain and work got in a way and I lost the gains super quick.

Another way I was able to increase my cardio was through raw foods but, I am not sure if raw food works for everybody. That being said, cardio is something you have to work in consistent basis from various aspects of life.

Tried everything like that - intervals, long and slows, and even eating betweens. It just doesnt work for guys who are faster twitch. Thats why I've always said GSP is best athlete in MMA fast and could go 5 no prob. JJ is close too but not as quick.
ive never heard of 'eating betweens'.....sounds like a terrible idea....

MMS fighters arent the smartest bunch.

Classic excuse making. Your cardio suck? Work on your breathing technique, and move your training camp to altitude. When you come down to fight at sea level, you'll feel like you're swimming in oxygen (and nitrogen). The vast majority of fighters that have cardio issues have them because they spend too much time building their beach muscles and/or too little time working on their stamina.
Typical armchair expert. Have you ever trained? You wouldn't last even 3 minutes shoot boxing if you haven't.

"Just get fitter!" May as well be "just get smarter!"

There's a heap of variables at work...your genetic ability, your build, your style...ect.

People naturally reference Conor when it comes to cardio, but he carries a fair bit of muscle, is extremely explosive and is a pressure fighter. We've seen his measured approach in Diaz II, and he still gassed. When you're constantly relying on that fast-twitch, explosive counter striking, naturally you're going to burn more energy than someone who's willing to sit outside and bide their time.

Genetics you can't change, and all the elevation masks, breathing exercises and altitude won't change anything if you have a poor disposition for endurance and you're a pressure fighter.

The big issue for a lot of fighters though is that its not just down to pure cardio but also there fighting style, some fighters simply push it harder than others.

You look at Dan Henderson for example and throwing the H-bomb like a sledgehammer takes a lot more energy than jabbing someone.

That's nonsense. Yes some people have a genetic head start but you gain cardio by repeating repetitions of whatever it is that you're doing.
The fighters who gas out either don't know how to pace themselves or they're not training right.

It's a combination of both obviously. Some people will never achieve great cardio regardless of training because of their genetics.

I disagree.

not sure if youre serious.....

you should be able to casually walk a mle in 12 minutes....

i used to run at least 5 miles a day, 5 days a week....often it was eight miles....

once you get used to runnung, you can pretty much run for hours.....within 6 weeks of running i was able to run 10 miles non-stop......its just that beginning thats hard....and fighting the urge to quit...

Because they don't want to put the work in and have no1 that forces them to.
People who play teamsports and have a trainer/coach, have to work on cardio, or they will be sidelined untill their cardio is good enough according to the trainer/coach.
Fighter don't have anyone that will sideline them if their cardio sucks, so they don't work on it.
Unless they like to do that kind of work, but most don't and thats why most fighters fade very fast.

"But conditioning is something that can be fixed relatively quickly" This is a laughably naive, and ignorant statement. Nearly everybody in the UFC is fairly well conditioned for their frame... if you're a guy like Tyron Woodley to go 5 rounds he can only afford a handful of explosive exchanges.. if he pushes harder than that he knows he'll gas. Tony no doubt is one of the hardest workers in the UFC, but it would be silly to not credit genetics, and body type a little bit... it's not a coincidence the dude that looks like a marathon runner has good cardio, and the guy that looks like a bodybuilder has shit cardio.

ive seen fighters say that their cardio can be ramped up very quickly but strength and body weight take longer. we arent talking about putting on 20lbs of muscle here. we're talking about getting better at breathing, they are not comparable activities.

pretty much anyone can do a couch to half marathon program in 10 weeks. 10 weeks of effort to run a distance that most people would never even contemplate. what kind of increase in cardio does that represent, going from sedentary to running for hours non stop?

everyone knows what to do to increase their cardio, its just that its not remotely glamorous and some people would rather do their bicep curls

Some guys just have it. Some don't. It isn't just as easy as working on it.

if they just have it why do they go pound the roads for hours a week? that shit aint fucking fun. i think its a little disrespectful to watch most fighters overtrain constantly and then talk about what they "just have".

Back