Why do most people discredit Covington’s win over Maia?

I call BS. If he was so damaged from the knockdown woodley would’ve finished him. He didn’t even follow him to the ground to try. Final minute of the third round Colby following Maia to the ground because he sensed Maia ready to give up. Saved by the bell in my opinion. Maia could barely get up on his own.
lol, hi Dana.

I've seen lots of people say this, Woodley should have finished Maia. The last time Maia was finished was 2009 by a roided out Marquardt. Condit couldn't do it. Matt Brown couldn't do it. Masvidal couldn't do it. Gunner Nelson couldn't do it. Magny, Rory MacDonald, Weidman, Silva - none of these guys could finish Maia.

But you and Dana think Woodley should have.

I wanna see wonderboy vs covington
lol, hi Dana.

I've seen lots of people say this, Woodley should have finished Maia. The last time Maia was finished was 2009 buy a roided out Marquardt. Condit couldn't do it. Matt Brown couldn't do it. Masvidal couldn't do it. Gunner Nelson couldn't do it. Magny, Rory MacDonald, Weidman, Silva - none of these guys could finish Maia.

But you and Dana think Woodley should have.

I’m not saying he sucks for not finishing Maia. I’m saying Woodley himself obviously didn’t think Maia was that badly hurt when he got dropped. I’m saying Colby inflicted more damage than Woodley did. Otherwise woodley would’ve at least tried some GnP or he wouldn’t started opening up more power strikes when Maia stood up.

And Colby was definitely closer to finishing Maia than woodley. Considering the ref was telling Maia to fight back in the end of the third round.

He got outstruck by Maia.

Maia.

Good win but hardly anything to alert the press about. I actually enjoy the guys shit talk but he doesnt exactly look like a world beater yet. I dream of him knocking out Tyrone though.

It was a legit win
I dont discredit it
<{MingNope}> fuck what people say !

All that wwe american shit colby pulled off in the post fight might distract from the fight itself.

He got outstruck by Maia.

Maia.

Good win but hardly anything to alert the press about. I actually enjoy the guys shit talk but he doesnt exactly look like a world beater yet. I dream of him knocking out Tyrone though.

Sure, he got outstruck by Maia. But somehow won 30-26. I don’t see how that makes sense...

I don’t believe Colby has earned himself a title shot. RDA hasn’t either. These two should’ve fought during Tyron’s layoff so he has no way to discredit the winner as the number one contender. Back to the topic.

Colby did not get “lit up” by Maia on the feet. Maia had his most success in the opening minute where he landed good strikes because Colby was pressuring him hard with basically zero respect for his power or takedown threat. Colby was actually taking the fight to Maia, something respectable that most of his opponents shy away from. He mentally and physically broke Maia who was fresh off a title shot. At the end of the third round Maia looked like he had been beaten and mugged in an alleyway and the referee was extremely close to stopping to the fight.

Dominating him in his home country after being showered by beer bottles, spit, and trash during his walkout makes the win even more impressive. Colby’s trash talk is forced and cringey. I don’t understand how that takes away from a great win against Maia. Discuss!
What does "earn a title shot" mean to you?

People don't discredit it really, it's just that no one gives a fuck about Colby Covington

Styles male match uoa maia really had no real way to get to ground colby still got lit up

Maybe because he was getting worked on the feet before Maia gassed

Not seen anyone discredit the win. Just acknowledged that he didn't look impressive in victory.

I don’t believe Colby has earned himself a title shot. RDA hasn’t either. These two should’ve fought during Tyron’s layoff so he has no way to discredit the winner as the number one contender. Back to the topic.

Colby did not get “lit up” by Maia on the feet. Maia had his most success in the opening minute where he landed good strikes because Colby was pressuring him hard with basically zero respect for his power or takedown threat. Colby was actually taking the fight to Maia, something respectable that most of his opponents shy away from. He mentally and physically broke Maia who was fresh off a title shot. At the end of the third round Maia looked like he had been beaten and mugged in an alleyway and the referee was extremely close to stopping to the fight.

Dominating him in his home country after being showered by beer bottles, spit, and trash during his walkout makes the win even more impressive. Colby’s trash talk is forced and cringey. I don’t understand how that takes away from a great win against Maia. Discuss!

Because Colby is as likable as a shit stain on a hobo's underwear.

Earning a title shot=proving yourself against top competition in the weight class more than once.
You mean like GSP?

Did Gustafsson earn a title shot against Cormier?

They dont like him and let emotion overcome facts. I dont like him either but I can separate emotion from facts and he's best chance to beat woodley. Woodley knows it too which is why he turned down the fight. WB and Usman would beat him and thats what Woodleys hoping for. Colby's turned down Usman like 3x because he knows thats a bad match for him. Anyway..

He's an asshole and a grinder two things that make UFC fans boo.

Last edited:
I don't think people discredit the win...they're just not impressed with the overall level of excitement that the fight delivered...there is also the fact that Covington was getting outstruck by Maia in rnd 1, then won in just the most boring fashion against a gassed out Maia...I think Covington's desperate attempts at making a name for himself with pretty tame trash talking is not really winning him a lot of fans...

i don't discredit him, he just looked like shit, got outboxed by maia until maia gassed, then colby STILL looked like shit and just spent the rest of the fight stopping desperation takedowns from a mile away.

Cause he was getting his ass beat pretty severely until old man Mai gassed.

Colby was cut. Maia’s face looked like ground beef. Maia laid on the ground when the bell sounded. Colby looked championship ready in the sense of ready to go another two hard rounds at the same pace.
I'm not saying Colby didn't destroy Maia. I agree that he did, but Maia landed a lot of shots on Colby and Maia isn't a striker. He lit him up.

Covingtons striking is horrendous. Consists of loopy overhand lefts. A good wrestler should have no problems against maia as woodley showed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back