Why do most people discredit Covington’s win over Maia?

The win was legit he just looked like shit winning it....

I suggest you go watch those fights. There was no wrestling involved.

Rory took woodley down in round 3 And denied woodleys 2 attempts. And shields attempted a shitload of takedowns. Just because he didn’t land any that doesn’t mean no wrestling was involved. The threat of the takedown is why shield outstruck woodley.

Rory took woodley down in round 3 And denied woodleys 2 attempts. And shields attempted a shitload of takedowns. Just because he didn’t land any that doesn’t mean no wrestling was involved. The threat of the takedown is why shield outstruck woodley.

Shields outstruck Woodley because Woodley has a low output and tends to back up against the cage. While his striking can look ugly it's also extremely effective. He's been able to stand and hang with strikers. Even took rounds from GSP.

I haven't seen enough from Colby to suggest he has anything to offer Woodley. Awful stylistic matchup for him.

Shields outstruck Woodley because Woodley has a low output and tends to back up against the cage. While his striking can look ugly it's also extremely effective. He's been able to stand and hang with strikers. Even took rounds from GSP.

I haven't seen enough from Colby to suggest he has anything to offer Woodley. Awful stylistic matchup for him.
Agreed woodley having a low output. But you can’t deny GSP and Woodley were both trying their best to avoid having Shields on top of them. Which definitely aided in Shields striking effectiveness in both of those fights. But back to Colby. I think if he makes woodley work hard early and lands a takedown in round 1 he can definitely push a pace that woodley will not be able to keep up with. I’d definitely think oddsmakers would have woodley at least a 2 to 1 favorite though.

He had the worst boxing I've ever seen in an MMA fighter. Literally jab, throw a left overhand while overextending a lot and repeat. Incredibly predictable and sloppy.

I think that's what makes people think his win sucked. That said, he has good cardio and toughness and did well on the ground so I don't necessarily agree with them.

I don’t believe Colby has earned himself a title shot. RDA hasn’t either. These two should’ve fought during Tyron’s layoff so he has no way to discredit the winner as the number one contender. Back to the topic.

Colby did not get “lit up” by Maia on the feet. Maia had his most success in the opening minute where he landed good strikes because Colby was pressuring him hard with basically zero respect for his power or takedown threat. Colby was actually taking the fight to Maia, something respectable that most of his opponents shy away from. He mentally and physically broke Maia who was fresh off a title shot. At the end of the third round Maia looked like he had been beaten and mugged in an alleyway and the referee was extremely close to stopping to the fight.

Dominating him in his home country after being showered by beer bottles, spit, and trash during his walkout makes the win even more impressive. Colby’s trash talk is forced and cringey. I don’t understand how that takes away from a great win against Maia. Discuss!
Racist against him cuz he's white

Racist against him cuz he's white
You really think it’s a race issue? I wouldn’t go that far. I think people are just easily angered nowadays.

It’s as simple as ignoring Colby threads, but instead the haters all rush in trying to discredit his skillset because his out of cage self promotion.

I don’t believe Colby has earned himself a title shot. RDA hasn’t either. These two should’ve fought during Tyron’s layoff so he has no way to discredit the winner as the number one contender. Back to the topic.

Colby did not get “lit up” by Maia on the feet. Maia had his most success in the opening minute where he landed good strikes because Colby was pressuring him hard with basically zero respect for his power or takedown threat. Colby was actually taking the fight to Maia, something respectable that most of his opponents shy away from. He mentally and physically broke Maia who was fresh off a title shot. At the end of the third round Maia looked like he had been beaten and mugged in an alleyway and the referee was extremely close to stopping to the fight.

Dominating him in his home country after being showered by beer bottles, spit, and trash during his walkout makes the win even more impressive. Colby’s trash talk is forced and cringey. I don’t understand how that takes away from a great win against Maia. Discuss!

To compensate for the fact nobody else has ever 10-8'd Maia before. 30-26 overall it wasnt even close

To compensate for the fact nobody else has ever 10-8'd Maia before. 30-26 overall it wasnt even close
Facts. It doesn’t really matter that Colby bled a little bit or ate some shots early on. He was reckless because he had zero respect for Maia’s striking or TDs.

He battered Maia worse than a Prime Silva did, and much worse than Woodley did. Much closer to finishing Maia, too.

The win was legit he just looked like shit winning it....
Colby beat down Maia worse than anyone has since a juiced up Marquardt did 9 years ago.

Not even a prime Silva or woodley came close to finishing Maia the way Colby was close.

Back