why do people act like theyre so afraid of self driving cars?

It’s like all things good for us, the initial uptake will be difficult but once enough people get on board it will take over.

Government could help things along by giving credits and or making automated vehicle owners no fault in accidents and covered by industry.

Not initially but they will quickly improve. Remember how shit smartphones first were?
That's true. even if it's shitty it'll still be better than moron people. I mean I've gotten a dui myself. no one was hurt but I could've easily killed someone.

one thing that worries me is the find the loophole to save cash thing that big corps do. how many accidents/deaths are acceptable versus losing a little profit. kinda like that fight club conversation on the airplane.

Not initially but they will quickly improve. Remember how shit smartphones first were?

The trouble with that is -

It was ok for early smartphones to suck. No real harm done.

It's not ok for the first self-driving cars to suck. Harm will be done.

the fatality rate of even the most primitive self driving systems is nowhere close to human operated motor fatalities. Driving is the most dangerous activity that people in civilized societies engage in. Self driving cars will raise the safety by several orders of magnitude. But for some antiquated reason, people prefer other humans in control of these deadly machines instead of a carefully optimized artificial driver. Would you rather be on the road with human drivers that have a 1% chance of killing you, or automated cars that have a .0001% risk?

Self-driving car? I'm waiting for self-driving pick ups.

Last edited:
the fatality rate of even the most primitive self driving systems is nowhere close to human operated motor fatalities. Driving is the most dangerous activity that people in civilized societies engage in. Self driving cars will raise the safety by several orders of magnitude. But for some antiquated reason, people prefer other humans in control of these deadly machines instead of a carefully optimized artificial driver. Would you rather be on the road with human drivers that have a 1% chance of killing you, or automated cars that have a .0001% risk?
Where are you getting 1% from?

Ive been in thouands of car rides and I'm alive

I’m ok with the domestics, but I’d be weary of self driving Asian cars.

I was just making an example to illustrate the statistical differences.
So how do you know what the risks of a self driving car when they don't exist yet? And your statistics were just proven to be extremely inaccurate.

So how do you know what the risks of a self driving car when they don't exist yet? And your statistics were just proven to be extremely inaccurate.
based on accidents per mile driven by test cars. Between Tesla, Google, Uber and others there are millions of miles of real world data.

It was okay for early cars to suck safety wise compared to modern cars. People still drove without airbags/seat belts. The first iteration of self driving cars won't be as good as the ones that follow it. They will also test the shit out of these. In the long run I'll trust the machines then the judgement of another person behind the wheel.

For whatever reason people super scared of dying to due computer/mechanical failure/error and totally accepting of being smushed by another human trying to eat a burger, drink a coffee and play candy crush while they are driving.

Have you seen just how dumb bot A.I. is in games? I am not letting the same thing drive me.

After what Wikileaks' Vault7 release revealed, why wouldn't you be?

Have you seen just how dumb bot A.I. is in games? I am not letting the same thing drive me.

Why would anyone want to play a game with proper bot A.I? You'd be slaughtered.

Where's the video of the self driving Volvo that ran someone over?

I like to go off road , there are great camping spots off of the beaten path. Will a self driving car take me there? How many people can read a map these days? Children are no longer being taught cursive. The gender lines are being blurred. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DISPOSE OF A BODY??!! This subject raises so many questions.

every time I bring up the ides of self driving cars to your average Joe, they say they dont like the idea of it and complain about the risks. meanwhile this is a car engineered to keep you safe and the should purpose of its existence is to DRIVE. we have idiot 16 year olds on the roads driving drunk, but youre afraid of an car programmed to drive safely?

it's understandable. losing control over something you used to have control over, is a scary thing.

this actually reminds me a bit of the advent of internet purchasing. lots of people were initially hesitant to give their credit card information over the internet. in time, people began to see that it was safe, and now it's the standard. i'm thinking the same will happen to self-driving cars.

Back