Why Do People Like Trash Talkers?

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I’m not asking in a judge mental way, but in a genuinely-trying-to understand way.

There’s been trash talking since the beginning of combat sports. But there was a time when at least conceptually the idea was that two professionals were to come and do a job they’re paid to do. It wasn’t personal. You walk-in and shake your opponent’s hand. Then you compete. At the end you shake hands again and thank your opponent for the opportunity. Then you shake the corners hands and thank them. Then a winner is announced and in the post fight interview he explains how he thinks he won, humbly acknowledges his opponents strengths and great moments. The end.

I wish there was more of that.

Idk.
I don't really like them tbh.
Disrespectful peoples in generals piss me off.

I don’t know, when I was a teenager I used to think a lot of dumb shit was cool too.

Not too much of a fan.

Especially the cringy forced trash talk.

When guys who fight for a living have to talk smack on Twitter to sell it, something Wong.

When I was a kid I enjoyed it because I thought it was real, now I find it rather embarrassing.

193129082d46c5ecdb9fd1cf42632ba28752019bcb663b0c02b88a1b2f4e3d44.jpg
url

I like entertainment. That's why I watch two dudes or gals fighting. It's not for any other purpose. So I like trash talk; it's entertaining. Oftentimes cringy - but that's still entertaining.

I think it's more reasonable to ask: Why do you like fighting and not trash talk?

Squeaky wheel gets the grease..

It's quite simple, the more noise you make the more people pay attention to you..

They don't. At least not on here. The big talkers are not liked on Sherdog. In real life? For some reason people admire this.

Trash talkers here have been almost universally disliked:

Examples:

Cody
Boogiewoman
Conor
Horrible talker but says stupid uber cocky things all the time: Luke Rockhold
Usman's latest tirade sucked and people don't like him

There are more

Because it's entertaining? And because believing there's some kind of beef or animosity (even a little) make us want to see something as personal as a fight even more?

Why do you find humans fighting inside a cage to be entertaining but not a little trash talk (quality trash talk, mind you) to go with it?

Because loud, stupid and obnoxious people want to feel validated by seeing other loud, stupid and obnoxious people make money.

Not many can pull it off. When done right it's hilarious. Still always needs to be a hint of respect though.

Not too much of a fan.

Especially the cringy forced trash talk.

Honestly I can't say anyone in MMA has really seemed that interesting in this respect, Rampage was quite witty back in the day but not really in terms of trash talking, MMA has never had anyone close to Ali.

Granted though many do like Conor, Sonnen, etc but I think its a mistake for the UFC to try and force everyone down that path, a lot of fighters actually get damaged by it IMHO killing there likeability.

You get everyone doing this...

tenor.gif

And this leads to.....

701cfb11f9f176c2f215099e41c3e49ff5dc222e_hq.gif

I’m not asking in a judge mental way, but in a genuinely-trying-to understand way.

There’s been trash talking since the beginning of combat sports. But there was a time when at least conceptually the idea was that two professionals were to come and do a job they’re paid to do. It wasn’t personal. You walk-in and shake your opponent’s hand. Then you compete. At the end you shake hands again and thank your opponent for the opportunity. Then you shake the corners hands and thank them. Then a winner is announced and in the post fight interview he explains how he thinks he won, humbly acknowledges his opponents strengths and great moments. The end.

For the same reason we like stand up comedians, poets, writers and etc. People appreciate individuals who have a command of any spoken language.

I think people who like trash talkers would like to do it themselves, but can't for whatever reason (lack of strengh, of balls, of culture or of opportunities) so they do it by proxy, while people who are more confident don't need to have that to be interested.

there are educated and smart people who loke trash talking but I bet you'd find a statistical trend that people who enjoy it are mostly on the low end spectrum of these criteria.

add a layer of cultural specificity, as it is more widely accepted in some cultures (usa vs asia for example) and you get american neckbeards on sherdog saying what matters the most is some fighter ability to trash talk rather than his actual fighting skills.

Back