Why Do People Like Trash Talkers?

I don’t care for it. I just want to see good fights.

Respect should be a big part of martial arts.

I’m not asking in a judge mental way, but in a genuinely-trying-to understand way.

There’s been trash talking since the beginning of combat sports. But there was a time when at least conceptually the idea was that two professionals were to come and do a job they’re paid to do. It wasn’t personal. You walk-in and shake your opponent’s hand. Then you compete. At the end you shake hands again and thank your opponent for the opportunity. Then you shake the corners hands and thank them. Then a winner is announced and in the post fight interview he explains how he thinks he won, humbly acknowledges his opponents strengths and great moments. The end.

I wish there was more of that.

People who love trash talkers are massively insecure and fantasise about letting their toxic personalities spew out as if they were jon jones or steve Austin, because in real life they are only 5 foot 11 and live in shame

Trash talking like 'I'm gonna kick your ass' etc is dumb and for teenagers. Or guys like Ferguson who seem like they've rehearsed those lines in front of a mirror for hours.

But trash talking is more than just spewing garbage. It takes wit to come up with smart lines and comebacks on the spot. And sometimes it's funny. I like when Cruz talks people down. He remains calm and just picks them apart verbally.
Other instances of DC/JJ are also entertaining, but cringy at times.

Another thing is, it's also fun to see trash talkers eat crow. When a guy like Cody talked so much shit on TJ, and then got KOed. It's not for everyone, and smart comebacks are definitely hard.

It's not important, and wouldn't take away much if people just stopped doing it, but it adds to entertainment, which MMA nowadays is.

It's rather funny and quite interesting when done right the only people I acutally like hearing trash talk are Conor, Cruz and Bisping tho. (In MMA)

Not really sure who started this trend might be Ali.

Only jackasses enjoy listening to other jackasses act like jackasses.

same reason we like fights, we're drawn to confrontation. Smacktalk draws attention and when someone makes good on what they're saying it's exciting to watch

Depends on the trash talker. If it's like Chael, Conor style i like it.

If it's like Colby i feel like killing myself

Because people like drama. Look what happened to MTV. It used to be music television and now it’s all about reality drama.

Back