Why do people talk about Cain like it's five years ago?

Now doesn’t matter when referring to Cain. Pride was definitely bigger than the ufc when Cain was on top.
FYI, Pride was gone before Cain fought for the UFC.

probably cause Cain in top form is probably the only person close to fedor in hw history

Because he's the greatest MMA fighter in the sports history.

not sure how to explain it...

as 1 of yer bigger fans here, sometimes its just..... a miss?

while i admit, most people wont get the subtext, and this WAS full of pearls (heatmiser being my personal fave)

this should hsve gotten more run... but i guess they arent ALL home runs, Doc.

Only the Johny Hendricks part was a joke; the part about the hot dogs is real! <DCrying>

The guy had the chance to join the UFC in 2009/2010, but he chose to go to Beta Leagues and lose. He is 2-4 (with one very suspicious win) inside the cage with unified rules

Blah blah. He was undefeated in an archaic sport. In the cage under some version of the unified rules, he is 2-4 with a suspect win, and none of those fights were in the Gold Standard MMA promotion.

Tell me which legitimate MMA organization still uses the ring with PRIDE FC rules? LOL

Hate to break the news to you but Pride rules were closer to real fighting than Unified rules.

I admit I am one of those sad delusioned fans that are hanging on the the old days with Cain, but as the years move on its getting less and less likely he will ever be what I thought. He is getting older now and has injury after injury, and surgery after surgery. I just feel like I am waiting for the next injury..

He has 1 fluke loss that he revenged twice and 1 loss against Werdum under somewhat unusual circumstances. He's not the GOAT but Cain or Miocic is the UFC HW GOAT (and my money would be on Cain).

Hate to break the news to you but Pride rules were closer to real fighting than Unified rules.
That is not the point. The point is that the sport Fedor dominated no longer exists. So, how can he possibly be the GOAT of MMA that is fought inside the cage with somewhat standardized rules?

You can't ignore the fact that Fedor competed in a ring with very different rules (making it essentially a different sport), and professional MMA is now contested in a cage with somewhat standardized rules.

I think some of you guys need to take a couple of youtube lectures on statistics and research critiquing, to understand the importance of what I am telling you. To compare two entities, you must account for as many variables as possible, to make the comparison more valid and reliable.

My opinion has nothing to do with hating on Fedor. If GSP has spent the better part of his career dominating some ring with PRIDE FC rules, I will punish him with the same argument, and say, he competed in an essentially different sport, so he can't be compared with the athletes who are competing in the more recent version of the sport.

We shouldn't allow our thirst for GOAT debates make us dumb.

What's the state of UFC HW during Pride's run?

Exactly.
There was no PRIDE from 2009/2010. Fedor had the chance to join the UFC, and he chose Beta Leagues, and he was smashed. That is on his record. He lost to a MW for crying out loud. You are GOAT and losing to MW's as a HW? LOL

Back