Why do people watch the Formula one ?

I would watch it more if it were broadcast at all in the US.

Le Mans is a very exciting race to keep track of. IMSA races are also very interesting.

While I get the excitement for Nascar, it's format is boring as they just drive in circles. F1 is much more complex and difficult. It also showcases the latest in automotive technology.

There's a lot more to it than just the racing aspect.

Every Formula One race is broadcast live in the US on NBC Sports Network. Most races take place early Sunday morning in the US time zone.

NASCAR is boring? They have twice as many cars on shorter tracks and often more passing in one lap than Formula One has in an entire race. Lots of side by side racing and sometimes 3 and 4 wide at average lap speeds often higher than F1. F1 is limited to 2 hours. NASCAR races can last over 4 hours. F1 races are often won or lost in qualifying. There is little passing so it gets to be a parade unless one of the fast cars has a penalty and has to start farther back.

Last edited:
AFAIC this killed F1

tumblr_oao4tfX5BE1thdnd3o1_500.gif

Watched an hr of it live. Standing on a grassy hill. Left an hr later. Boring af.

Every Formula One race is broadcast live in the US on NBC Sports Network. Most races take place early Sunday morning in the US time zone.

NASCAR is boring? They have twice as many cars on shorter tracks and often more passing in one lap than Formula One has in an entire race. Lots of side by side racing and sometimes 3 and 4 wide at average lap speeds often higher than F1. F1 is limited to 2 hours. NASCAR races can last over 4 hours. F1 races are often won or lost in qualifying. There is little passing so it gets to be a parade unless one of the fast cars has a penalty and has to start farther back.

I love F1 and don't like Nascar.

I find Nascar incredibly boring until the end, it being long is a negative imo. Plus they are just doing circles most of the races. Almost all of those passes are meaningless for the most part until the last stretch of the race. Hell letting someone pass you might be a good strategy to draft in the final laps. I would like Nascar much more if the races were shorter. All out racing the entire time. None of this economy endurance strategy, just all out racing.

There are obvious complaints about F1 but I like the tracks, cars, capabilities, etc.

I love F1 and don't like Nascar.

I find Nascar incredibly boring until the end, it being long is a negative imo. Plus they are just doing circles most of the races. Almost all of those passes are meaningless for the most part until the last stretch of the race. Hell letting someone pass you might be a good strategy to draft in the final laps. I would like Nascar much more if the races were shorter. All out racing the entire time. None of this economy endurance strategy, just all out racing.

There are obvious complaints about F1 but I like the tracks, cars, capabilities, etc.

NASCAR is an endurance race. Those with short attention spans don't like them and the younger generations are all about instant gratification. I'm surprised that drag racing hasn't become more popular in these times. They go out, blow an engine on a run and rebuild or replace it for the next run.

1/4mile and 1/2mile drag racing and 40 or 60 roll racing is the best because they're daily cars.

IMO 1/2 mile stuff has the coolest cars and that's where the progression of the cars is still interesting and attainable. The Pro shit is just spaceships at this point. I like Isle of Mann stuff though.

NASCAR is an endurance race. Those with short attention spans don't like them and the younger generations are all about instant gratification. I'm surprised that drag racing hasn't become more popular in these times. They go out, blow an engine on a run and rebuild or replace it for the next run.

I like gtlm, I just find driving in circles boring. When a good strategy in racing in the closing laps is to give up 1st place I find that very strange. I understand why but it's just the opposite of what I think racing is.

I like drag racing but honestly top fuel goes too fast to be entertaining imo. In person or on TV the angles and everything rarely show what is happening imo. It's hard to physically see another driver drive around someone on the big end. Sometimes you can. You can see who got the holeshot or who won sometimes but everything in between is difficult to see imo. I enjoy pro stock-fast street cars. Mostly fast street cars & pro mod.

Example

I think the top fuel cars, speed, noise, etc is awesome but the race itself is difficult imo to appreciate without slow motion and the actual photo of the finish.

The length of the races has been a complaint among NASCAR fans for decades, not just the "younger generations".

I like gtlm, I just find driving in circles boring. When a good strategy in racing in the closing laps is to give up 1st place I find that very strange. I understand why but it's just the opposite of what I think racing is.

I like drag racing but honestly top fuel goes too fast to be entertaining imo. In person or on TV the angles and everything rarely show what is happening imo. It's hard to physically see another driver drive around someone on the big end. Sometimes you can. You can see who got the holeshot or who won sometimes but everything in between is difficult to see imo. I enjoy pro stock-fast street cars. Mostly fast street cars & pro mod.

Example

I think the top fuel cars, speed, noise, etc is awesome but the race itself is difficult imo to appreciate without slow motion and the actual photo of the finish.

There are no circle tracks. They are ovals and every corner has a distinct personality. A car can be good in one corner and bad in another. They have to run every second of green at the limit of traction. One half second of distraction, the car is wrecked and you are out of the race. If the car is set up poorly it will wear tires quickly and use more fuel. The track changes over the course of a race as rubber is laid down and the weather changes. The crew and driver have to keep up with those changes. There are races that start in the heat of the day and run into the night. Track temperatures can change 70 F from start to finish. The temperature affects the tire grip, the spring rates, the shock absorbers and even the chassis of the car. Temperatures inside the cars are often over 110 degrees. To maintain the concentration required under those conditions is a feat in itself if they were alone on the track but they are often side by side and bumper to bumper. They need to stay close to use the aerodynamics. Other series have to stay separated to best use the airflow. Strategies often come into play with fuel mileage or tire wear. That strategy can be destroyed by a car crashing.

To add excitement NASCAR divided the races into segments so more points could be earned and more strategy applied. They could do that better if they left the pits open. Cars that aren't in the top ten could pit on the last lap of the segment which would put them ahead of the top ten cars in the next segment after they pit.

There are no circle tracks. They are ovals and every corner has a distinct personality. A car can be good in one corner and bad in another. They have to run every second of green at the limit of traction. One half second of distraction, the car is wrecked and you are out of the race. If the car is set up poorly it will wear tires quickly and use more fuel. The track changes over the course of a race as rubber is laid down and the weather changes. The crew and driver have to keep up with those changes. There are races that start in the heat of the day and run into the night. Track temperatures can change 70 F from start to finish. The temperature affects the tire grip, the spring rates, the shock absorbers and even the chassis of the car. Temperatures inside the cars are often over 110 degrees. To maintain the concentration required under those conditions is a feat in itself if they were alone on the track but they are often side by side and bumper to bumper. They need to stay close to use the aerodynamics. Other series have to stay separated to best use the airflow. Strategies often come into play with fuel mileage or tire wear. That strategy can be destroyed by a car crashing.

To add excitement NASCAR divided the races into segments so more points could be earned and more strategy applied. They could do that better if they left the pits open. Cars that aren't in the top ten could pit on the last lap of the segment which would put them ahead of the top ten cars in the next segment after they pit.

I understand what goes into it and realize it's not literally going in circles. I just don't find it entertaining.

The length of the races has been a complaint among NASCAR fans for decades, not just the "younger generations".

Having been a NASCAR fan since the 1950s I never heard complaints about the length of races until the last 10 years. When the speeds were lower, the races took even longer. Maybe they need to do away with other longer forms of racing like the 24 hour, 12 hour and 6 hour races? Those are obviously too long. Just do timed laps and whoever runs the fastest lap wins?

Having been a NASCAR fan since the 1950s I never heard complaints about the length of races until the last 10 years. When the speeds were lower, the races took even longer. Maybe they need to do away with other longer forms of racing like the 24 hour, 12 hour and 6 hour races? Those are obviously too long. Just do timed laps and whoever runs the fastest lap wins?
I've only followed since the 90s, but I've always heard complaints about both the length of the races and the length of the season.

Back