Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

Because I already answered that earlier in the thread and I fail to see how that's at all relevant to your point if anything that's a strawman trying to change the subject to the old "I been grappling longer I must be right" lol
Oh look there it is lmao, yeah I should take advice from someone with mobility and back issues, I want to be just like you.

you either have a argument or dont my experience should not alter your argument or points.
Because you seem to think it is, in April it will be 8 years total grappling experience (4 years wrestling)

I think I'm much better off now than going 8 years only wrestling/rolling, that's a strong opinion of mine that I find no reason not to believe, especially because I took about 20 something months off lifting, felt good to build myself up again.

That's my point, I literally wrote that
lol don't know where you're disagreement or comes from.

you come across as extremely entitled, litterally rewriting exactly what I been saying, but being argumentative for no reason, because you must have all the answers.
I must be a white belt, That will make you feel better about your self

Holy shit dude. Go back and read my initial replies to you and how you responded.

You're the one acting high and mighty as if you discovered some incredible secret to training. No shit lifting will benefit your training. But if you want to talk about optimization, the vast majority of people should spend more time training than outside work.

Probably half a dozen brown and black belts, who all have lifted to some degree, have posted here saying the same thing.

But because I had mobility issues I don't know about lifting? The whole point of me trying to fix my form was to improve mobility to rehab from multiple injuries and severe congenital stenosis. That video was a couple of weeks back into lifting after years off doing bw squats for reps. And you want to criticize? My max lifts were never anything amazing, but I'm not some noob that has never lifted (~950 lb total around 200-210 body weight, but never really maxed out bc there was no point for my purposes). Nothing special but I've spent some time lifting in my life.

Please upload some videos of you lifting and rolling :rolleyes:

Holy shit dude. Go back and read my initial replies to you and how you responded.

You're the one acting high and mighty as if you discovered some incredible secret to training. No shit lifting will benefit your training. But if you want to talk about optimization, the vast majority of people should spend more time training than outside work.

Probably half a dozen brown and black belts, who all have lifted to some degree, have posted here saying the same thing.

But because I had mobility issues I don't know about lifting? The whole point of me trying to fix my form was to improve mobility to rehab from multiple injuries and severe congenital stenosis. That video was a couple of weeks back into lifting after years off doing bw squats for reps. And you want to criticize? My max lifts were never anything amazing, but I'm not some noob that has never lifted (~950 lb total around 200-210 body weight, but never really maxed out bc there was no point for my purposes). Nothing special but I've spent some time lifting in my life.

Please upload some videos of you lifting and rolling :rolleyes:
So please explain what you're argumentative about?
I clearly state that lifting is very beneficial to bjj and will improve your game.
You just said in your last post that if you're competing you should lift, so you just agreeing with my whole point.

I never said lifting is more important than grappling, and never said you NEED to lift to be a high level grappler.
So I don't understand what your argument is honestly, im not even trying to be a dick.
I understand you were trying to fix your mobility, which is my point you took the time and dedication to improve upon an Inbalance you have, that's what I agree with, so again don't understand your debate, seems like you just want to put out the fact that you been grappling for a long time, congratulations.

I agree. I am also getting really pissed that my gym doesn't have a class at 5 or 530. My gym does advanced class 630 on monday and wednesday and 730 on tuesday and thursday. That means on the early day im leaving the house at 6 and getting home around 830 if I roll after class and leaving at 7 and getting home at 930 on late nights. It was fine when I was single, but GF don't put up with that shit.
Even worse for me. Get home 6:30pm from work. Class starts at 8pm 30 minutes from my house. Class is hour 30 minutes. I leave there at 9:45 after bullshitting a bit after class. Get home 10:30pm. Eat light dinner. Married. That's why I only go twice a week. The other days I go to gym right after work and get in either cardio or weights. If there were classes right after work, I would probably go more.

For reals. I cant believe this even a debate really. Its not black and white. Good or bad. Of course the sport u do and sport specific training trumps(no pun intended) weight training, but to deny that it helps at all is a slap in the face to MOST S & C coaches/trainers that work for Major sports organizations/athletes. Im sure people on Sherdog know more than the S & C coaches on the Dallas Cowboys, Real Madrid, New York Yankees, Golden State Warriors, etc. Not to mention people like Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal, Andre Galvao, Rafa Mendes, Steph Curry, Adrian Peterson, Teddy Riner, and Lebron James who incorporate some kind of weight/machine training into their sport specific drills/regimens. Guess they are all wasting their time, because of course only so many hours in a day. Don't wanna waste it doing S & C, right?! Somebody on Sherdog should just tell them to just practice more. All they need. Wasting their time. Save money for the teams on S & C coaches/trainers. Write them all letters. It'll go over real well. Surely. I promise.
No one said lifting weights doesnt help. For most average people with a set amount of training time a week, taking time away BJJ time for weight training isnt optimal.

Using the top .000001% of athletes such as Serena Williams or Lebron James as the rule of how normal people with 6 hours to train a week is an asinine way to approach a training schedule for a hobbyist.

No one said lifting weights doesnt help. For most average people with a set amount of training time a week, taking time away BJJ time for weight training isnt optimal.

Using the top .000001% of athletes such as Serena Williams or Lebron James as the rule of how normal people with 6 hours to train a week is an asinine way to approach a training schedule for a hobbyist.
Actually there were people on this thread that said it wouldn’t help their BJJ , and I said before that’s debatable of course . People on the yes and no camp .There’s no denying it helps your body for longevity sake , which beyond sports ( as u know as u are a competitor ) is the body u carry round with u forever . Competition will end . U will get old . Broken down . Everybody does. But resistance training helps bone mass and overall strength which declines in all of us as we age . And I never said u have to train like them ( where did I say that ) but just making a general statement on weight training in general . And imo , if u wanna be training FOREVER u gotta supplement your training for BJJ . Wherever it’s weights , yoga , Pilates , running , rowing whatever . The “just train “mentality is meatheadish and ignores exercise science . No doubt training in your sport MOST of the time is beneficial . No shit . But I really don’t think twice a week for an hour is taking away from peeps time .

Actually there were people on this thread that said it wouldn’t help their BJJ , and I said before that’s debatable of course . People on the yes and no camp .There’s no denying it helps your body for longevity sake , which beyond sports ( as u know as u are a competitor ) is the body u carry round with u forever . Competition will end . U will get old . Broken down . Everybody does. But resistance training helps bone mass and overall strength which declines in all of us as we age . And I never said u have to train like them ( where did I say that ) but just making a general statement on weight training in general . And imo , if u wanna be training FOREVER u gotta supplement your training for BJJ . Wherever it’s weights , yoga , Pilates , running , rowing whatever . The “just train “mentality is meatheadish and ignores exercise science . No doubt training in your sport MOST of the time is beneficial . No shit . But I really don’t think twice a week for an hour is taking away from peeps time .

I think I read something about Eddie Bravo taking up weight training for exactly that reason. He is getting older and wanted to do some lifting to help prevent injuries.

I lift 3x a week + judo and wrestling when I can make it as well as studying and spend time with girlfriend. Nothing is impossible! I like lifting because it gives better physique.

I lift 3x a week + judo and wrestling when I can make it as well as studying and spend time with girlfriend. Nothing is impossible! I like lifting because it gives better physique.
Exactly. people should just admit they don’t wanna lift weights . Just wanna roll . That’s fine ( won’t be in the long run as they age but whatever , it’s their body ). But to legitimately say that they don’t have a few hours a week to devote to body maintenance whether it’s weights or stretching , sounds like a fuckimg excuse by most people . There are exceptions of course ( working two jobs , 5 kids , blah blah ) . But most spend at least two hours a week drinking coffee at some hipster coffee shop . That’s time they could have lifted or did yoga .

So let's get back on the subject. It seem that professional fighter/coaches and black/brown belts agree that:

1. Drilling
2. Cardio
3. Lifting weights.

It has to already be something you enjoy. I know a lot of bjj guys who talk about trying to lift weights and they just don't like it. For me its easy to work out and train often, but I was already working out consistently before I started training bjj.

how do you transition your lifting hours after you started doing bjj?

There's a reason rubbers were invented

To fool your competition into not reproducing.

2af.jpg

OK, I will bite. At what poundage increase of weight lifting exercises will overcome 110 hours of pure BJJ training?

2 guys have identical strength starting points, and identical technique starting points. One guy trains 2x a week, one guy trains 3x a week. They both do this for a year. How much does your bench, squat, deadlift have to go up to overcome the guy who has trained 110 more hours on the mat? One guy has put in 33% more time strictly training bjj. How much poundage does this guy have to increase to have that be the deciding factor in not only being able to defend himself, but actually be able to outscore or submit the guy only training bjj, and is that total poundage even possible in a year?

I know some guys who train twice a week and are wrecking some guys training 5/6 times a week, genetic and talent are major factors in the equation..
I would go as far to say that some of us only needs to train BJJ, but some will definitively need to do S&C we are not all the same and we all have different needs.

I try to train bjj almost everyday, but when I can't make it to the dojo I lift weights at home instead (kettlebell swings, weighted pullups, squats and deadlifts)...

You can finish a good full-body resistance workout in in under an hour. Grapplers who never lift weights are just lazy, Same as the ones who don't do yoga..

Last edited:
I know some guys who train twice a week and are wrecking some guys training 5/6 times a week, genetic and talent are major factors in the equation..
I would go as far to say that some of us only needs to train BJJ, but some will definitively need to do S&C we are not all the same and we all have different needs.

You need to drill more. You loose because your technique and timing is inferior, not because you cant bench xxx lbs

I try to train bjj almost everyday, but when I can't make it to the dojo I lift weights at home instead (kettlebell swings, weighted pullups, squats and deadlifts)...

You can finish a good full-body resistance workout in in under an hour. Grapplers who never lift weights are just lazy, Same as the ones who don't do yoga..

Easy to throw stones. I don't lift. Am I lazy because I would rather ride my bike when not rolling than lift? I don't think that is lazy. I think it is having other priorities.

Easy to throw stones. I don't lift. Am I lazy because I would rather ride my bike when not rolling than lift? I don't think that is lazy. I think it is having other priorities.

Cardio is more useful in bjj than lifting

how do you transition your lifting hours after you started doing bjj?
It’s really more of a scheduling issue at that point. But i work in the afternoons so its easy to go to bjj in the morning than rest for about an hour and go to the gym before work.

It’s really more of a scheduling issue at that point. But i work in the afternoons so its easy to go to bjj in the morning than rest for about an hour and go to the gym before work.

I ask because I've been lifting too, for 3 years, and I don't want to lose those 3 years of effort. Can you still maintain your strength levels(bench/squats/deadlift) in the gym or did it improve or deteriorate?

Back