Why do some shadow box when fingers out?

muaytao

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why do some people shadow box when their fingers out instead of a fist?

They want to eye poke their imaginary opponent?!

Seriously, I guess it's just easier for the forearm muscles.

Well I shadowbox with my fist and most of the fighters I know shadow box with their fist, I think @Frode Falch is only one I know of that shadowboxes with his fingers out.

I’d say it’s a bad habit @nd nobod6 is perfect, it might on3 f those little problems that fall b6 the wayside.

Helps gauge range.

I was taught to do it to concentrate on speed during shadow boxing and fluid movement, for short hooks/uppercuts I still make a fist though...only flick fingers out for 1-2 type combos.

If I'm practicing shadow boxing slowly to concentrate on all body parts being where they should be, I'll make a fist and rotate shoulder/elbow/fist to imitate proper connection

It's to help them practice staying loose

Obviously they don't do it on the heavybag

It's a bad habit from having bands and gloves, making the arm loose.

That is how hand fits inside glove when it is wrapped. Some people dont tighten their fists when wearing glove.

I always practice my eye pokes for teh streetz

Why do some people shadow box when their fingers out instead of a fist?

Muhammad Ali used to do that; I vaguely recall hearing his trainer (the legendary Angelo Dundee) saying it was to keep the motion relaxed even when throwing at top speed (ie avoid tensing up shoulders and opposing muscles).

I kinda do both. But most often with my hands semi open

as I've been taught, it's what @Frode Falch says. When you're throwing you're not supposed to make a fist until the moment you hit your target anyway, so your hands should be loose/open in the gloves too.

Plus shadowboxing is about warming up and loosening muscles and limbs, not about exerting all your energy, and making fists while shadowboxing is just wasting energy.

When you shadowbox you try to stay as loose and fast as possible.

This leads to some bad habits like stretching out your fingers.

If your experience level is pretty high then you won't let that translate to when you hit the bag etc. But if you're just starting out it could possibly fuck you up and start ingraining bad habits.

A lot of guys are saying the right thing here.

It really is to stay loose and relaxed. This is because when you throw a relaxed shot, you throw it faster, you are able to snap your punches and helps get a feel for the "whip" like the effect that your punches are supposed to have. You can accomplish the same things with a closed fist, but it takes less focus to do it when your hands are loose and not tightened. This allows you to then get a feel for what a snap feels like. So when you throw with the fist later, it will be the equivalent of swinging a kettle bell with a chain.

Back