Why do they say boxing has a clinch when everything about it is illegal (holding, punching, etc)

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm new at boxing so you will have to bare with me here....

• You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time,
And systematic holding is illegal as well and results in disqualification if you go by the book.

Given all of this, why do people still talk as if there is a boxing clinch, and even compares it with a Muay Thai clinch, when it's really only a by-product and not in the scoring system?

Last edited:
Yeah clinching/holding is technically illegal but is tolerated for the most part. Even in the days of ol' Jack Johnson, they were holding nonstop. They're more strict in the amateur system though and are more likely to take points/DQ.

Not sure what you mean by comparing boxing clinch to MT clinch. Boxing clinch is mainly used to pause a fight or to stop counter attacks if used wisely (ex. Mayweather).

I think you mean inside fighting? That's the one I mostly see compared to MT clinch.

Not sure what you mean by comparing boxing clinch to MT clinch. Boxing clinch is mainly used to pause a fight or to stop counter attacks if used wisely (ex. Mayweather).

They compare dirty boxing as a clinch to a Muay Thai clinch. Btw, why do some referees allow fighters to box their way out of a clinch when punching in a clinch is illegal? Is it legal for the guy who is being held to punch the other guy??

lmao there are refs like Kenny Gutless shouting stop before they even hold each other.

They're suppose to box their way out but they always just clinch and hug each other so the ref breaks them up. But Kenny is just..on a whole nother level.

lmao there are refs like Kenny Gutless shouting stop before they even hold each other.

They're suppose to box their way out but they always just clinch and hug each other so the ref breaks them up. But Kenny is just..on a whole nother level.

Why not just allow a clinch? People violate the holding principle anyway, constantly.

Also, how do you guys settle the clinch when you spar at the gym and there's no referee?

Why not just allow a clinch? People violate the holding principle anyway, constantly.
Because they want to see people box and swing at each other. They don't want to see this
giphy.gif

No skills involved.

Because they want to see people box and swing at each other. They don't want to see this
giphy.gif

No skills involved.

Has any top level boxer won by KO in an extended clinch? Would he still be awarded the victory?

I'm new at boxing so you will have to bare with me here....

• You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time,
And systematic holding is illegal as well and results in disqualification if you go by the book.

Given all of this, why do people still talk as if there is a boxing clinch, and even compares it with a Muay Thai clinch, when it's really only a by-product and not in the scoring system?

It is used as a defensive technique. You getting you butt kicked, you clinch up, and ref stops action. You get a breather too.

They compare dirty boxing as a clinch to a Muay Thai clinch. Btw, why do some referees allow fighters to box their way out of a clinch when punching in a clinch is illegal? Is it legal for the guy who is being held to punch the other guy??

Fighter boxing out of clinch is not the one initiating the clinch. In boxing it is illegal to use clinch as offense.

Or this

But hockey fans love it.

That's why they box shirtless and fingerless gloves. And hockey fans like it cuz hockey is fucking boring. That's the most action all game.

lmao fucking hockey fight is part of the game..do they even get fines or anything?

The clinch in boxing is used primarily to pause the action like someone already mentioned before me, but the clinching itself IMO is an art in itself. Trapping or pinning of the hands to create openings, holding while punching and get away with it, I think that itself is a skill and it is absolutely beautiful to watch.

There's an excellent film study about it on Youtube. Featuring of course, the one and only Roberto Duran.

Last edited:
You can clinch, you cannot hold. You're allowed to clinch so long as you work out of it once you have it, the amount of time spent in the clinch is dependent upon the referee. Some refs break up quickly, others let the fighters work it out if they don't just go docile.

Boxing 101

Boxing style in fighting is totally viable if you can use the cage to take your opponents hips away. It's hard to look at Henry Armstrong and not see ways that you can combine his head pressure and punching with wrestling

Ali was an outside figher but later in his career when he was fatigued or otherwise forced to fight inside he'd pull his opponents head down every second of every round even with the ref warning him and it would piss me off. Not only did it stymie his opponents efforts to land hooks and uppercuts against the ropes but it wore them out carrying Ali's entire upper torso. He'd basically ignore the refs, lol. He'd tie em up, pull their heads down and lean on em. screenshot-cc.bingj.com-2017-10-18-01-07-51-786.png

You can clinch, you cannot hold. You're allowed to clinch so long as you work out of it once you have it, the amount of time spent in the clinch is dependent upon the referee. Some refs break up quickly, others let the fighters work it out if they don't just go docile.

Boxing 101

Is pushing someone out of a clinch allowed? Foreman did that costantly, yet was never warned or had points deducted.

Back