Why do they say boxing has a clinch when everything about it is illegal (holding, punching, etc)

interesting that your taught clinch work, not a lot of gyms teach it properly. do you have pros at your gym? clinching used to be a massive part of boxing. all the old school boxers used to use the waist grab to turn their opponent on to the fence.

At my gym we have the Queensland Heavyweight title holder, the Australian Heavyweight title holder, an Asia Pacific Cruiserweight title holder and a lot of other pros. We also have a lot of Thai pro's from thailand who understand boxing clinch work too. My trainer is the Queensland Heavyweight holder. He's only about 29 but he's very oldschool with his technique and training.

Absolutely. I think the reason for that is that there is less padding but really it isnt that much less and I highly doubt it makes a big difference also you can't generate as much power with a backfist anyway. Unless it#s a spinning backfist.....which should also be legal.....se my username. The pivot punch used to be legal until some guy knocked out a favourite after being on his way to lose so apparently fans were pissed and the rules were changed.
I'd say its more of a fighter thinking its not much, rushing in, and getting cut by an elbow. At MT exhibitions they ban those because of that reason

Back