Why does Kickboxing recieve so much dis-respect from the Muay Thai community?

VicariousVice

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It seems to me like a lot of Muay Thai enthusiasts and Nak Muay don't have much if any respect for the sport of Kickboxing or Kickboxers. Why is that?

ramon dekkers whooped their ass

I like and respect kick boxing i just know muay thai is better :)

in seriousness though, partcuarly here in the UK a lot of people associate KB with U.S shiny trouser kicks above the waist style rather than k1 / glory rules so some stems from that, also because many feel 3 round format is conjusive towards less technique and KB is not so complete and as much of an art.

Funny thing is , he didnt.

He is a guy who does seem to have a lot of respect from Thailand though. He was a guy who fought them on their terms and beat some of them. Is that partly why? Because Kickboxers don't fight full Thai Rules as well?

thai judging.

thai vs non-thai

thai wins.

Do you even watched fights of him? Namphon, Jomhod, Sakmonkol, Namkubuan all stomped him.

all respect for dekkers but thats just not true.

He is a guy who does seem to have a lot of respect from Thailand though. He was a guy who fought them on their terms and beat some of them. Is that partly why?

Yes and because he said never no to a fight and fought even injured.

I have trained and competed in both. In my opinion training both is best. Kickboxers have way better hands and thia boxing has great knees and clinch. Although in kickboxing we did use leg kicks.

Also kickboxing uses more variety of kicks, but thia kicks are more powerfull!

I like and respect kick boxing i just know muay thai is better :)

in seriousness though, partcuarly here in the UK a lot of people associate KB with U.S shiny trouser kicks above the waist style rather than k1 / glory rules so some stems from that, also because many feel 3 round format is conjusive towards less technique and KB is not so complete and as much of an art.

I can understand that. I really can't stand American Kickboxing.

ramon dekkers whooped their ass

You can always tell when someone doesn't know what they're talking about and just know who Dekkers is because of Joe Rogan saying false things about him. I love Joe, but he's made an army of misinformed idiots.

And I don't really know, TS, as I have a lot of respect for kickboxing, but the rule changes in K1 were disgusting and turned art into roided up robots trading left hooks.

The clinch which 99% of kick boxers can not defend as well as the loss of elbows which thai's see as superior to the fists. There is also the fact that the sport we call kickboxing now was only waist high kicking with no knees until k1 in 93. The sport was filled with amateur boxers with some savate or tkd kicks thrown in. Also muay thai has the far superior athletes and a much more even match making system

They have the pretense of cultural elitism to hide that its all about corrupt judging and gambling.

The thing that bothers me is that, to me, European(I'm leaning more towards Italian) is the perfect blend of Boxing and Muay Thai. Takes what works from each. Offense and defense from both. I think it deserves more respect. It's my favorite combat sport.

They have the pretense of cultural elitism to hide that its all about corrupt judging and gambling.

gambling yes , but i dont recall much wrong decisions in better stadiums.

The clinch which 99% of kick boxers can not defend as well as the loss of elbows which thai's see as superior to the fists. There is also the fact that the sport we call kickboxing now was only waist high kicking with no knees until k1 in 93. The sport was filled with amateur boxers with some savate or tkd kicks thrown in. Also muay thai has the far superior athletes and a much more even match making system

Elbows have no need for padding and don't break like the hand(which makes them better in self-defense), but when the gloves are on how are they superior exactly? I don't understand that mindset. Punches have more range and from what I can tell, just as much, if not more power.

Because of this movie.
Kickboxer_poster.jpg

This part in particular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBNHf4OYgA

Elbows have no need for padding and don't break like the hand(which makes them better in self-defense), but when the gloves are on how are they superior exactly? I don't understand that mindset. Punches have more range and from what I can tell, just as much, if not more power.

It's mostly a distance, counter-defensive and defensive maneuver.
The elbow doesn't travel as far, but generates a lot of force in a short amount of time. You're also to not forced to reach and break your guard down. Nak Muay who develop an amazing elbow arsenal are rarely ever not good.

Because of this movie.
Kickboxer_poster.jpg

This part in particular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBNHf4OYgA

Lol. Even in that movie when Van Damme goes to train with the guy in the forest and gets stuck in his trap he's all like "... But you're American". Does it partly just stem from a dislike of Americans? Maybe that's pointless to bring up, it's the writer and director who are responsible for lines like that.

Do you even watched fights of him? Namphon, Jomhod, Sakmonkol, Namkubuan all stomped him.

all respect for dekkers but thats just not true.

If truth be known, Dekker fought with distinct weight advantage against Thais.

Yes and because he said never no to a fight and fought even injured..
Got to give him credit for that
Fact is Ramon never showed respect for muaythai.

Thai's believe that because the fist is covered you can cause more damage with the elbow. There are more elbow knockouts that fist knockouts in thailand to for the most part. The elbow is harder and can cause cuts much easier that the brittle hand to with helps when fighting every 2 weeks. It is also much more effective in the clinch and short range than punches and they use there kicks for long range attacks so that leaves only one range where hands are effective for the majority.

Back