Why does Kickboxing recieve so much dis-respect from the Muay Thai community?

I followed K-1 since the mid-90s and always got the feeling that the rule change regarding clinching was due to Schilt more than Buakaw.

Changpuek, Buakaw, Kaoklai, and Fuji (Chalmsak) weren't the most clinch-happy nak muay around, at least not under K-1 rules.

Well, the rule was changed for Schilt because of the size differences in heavyweight, it was never meant for Max until Buakaw dominated everyone with it.

But what some people are missing here, the rules didn't change because of Muay Thai. The rules changed because of Buakaw. No one is blaming Ashihara Karate for the clinch rule changes... right?

I certainly think K-1 did everything they could to make Masato as successful as possible, to the detriment of Buakaw (and others). I don't look at it as them doing Buakaw dirty for racial reasons as Buakaw was a big star for them as well and those Japanese girls loved him.

Either way, K-1 is dead ;)

Yeah, I also think that the anti-thai thing was BS. K-1 had only one concern: make sure the Maxsato show kept chugging along. Didn't save them in the end though.

LOL @ Maxsato

They even changed it to an 8 man so that he could win, and even then they had to rob Kyshenko in the final...

Well, the rule was changed for Schilt because of the size differences in heavyweight, it was never meant for Max until Buakaw dominated everyone with it.
Debatable in my mind, as FEG kept the rules pretty much consistent between the GP and Max if I recall correctly. Of course, my memory is a bit hazy after all these years, and may be just as tainted by personal bias as everyone else in this thread haha.

I don't think FEG was on an anti-Muay Thai campaign, just as it wasn't on an anti-Ashihara, anti-Schilt, or anti-Buakaw campaign. I think it was just FEG trying to level the playing field in order to keep the annual finals (and eventual champion) unpredictable and therefore exciting, although the exciting part is debatable as they nerfed the rules. Hey, it kinda sounds like the IJF! ... OK, now I'm going way off on a tangent now! :icon_lol:

Debatable in my mind, as FEG kept the rules pretty much consistent between the GP and Max if I recall correctly. Of course, my memory is a bit hazy after all these years, and may be just as tainted by personal bias as everyone else in this thread haha.

I don't think FEG was on an anti-Muay Thai campaign, just as it wasn't on an anti-Ashihara, anti-Schilt, or anti-Buakaw campaign. I think it was just FEG trying to level the playing field in order to keep the annual finals (and eventual champion) unpredictable and therefore exciting, although the exciting part is debatable as they nerfed the rules. Hey, it kinda sounds like the IJF! ... OK, now I'm going way off on a tangent now! :icon_lol:

I thought they changed the heavyweight rule a year before they changed the MAX rules.

I thought they changed the heavyweight rule a year before they changed the MAX rules.

I always thought it was a "trickle-down" effect since the GP was bigger than Max, but that could have just been my own idea. :icon_lol:

Either way, I wasn't happy with the nerfing in the GP OR Max haha.

K-1/Muay Thai/American Kick-Boxing etc it's like Boxing world titles and too many styles.
I would love just 1 stand up form of Full Contact Martial Art's and not PKA/WKA/Savate/Muay Thai etc

K-1/Muay Thai/American Kick-Boxing etc it's like Boxing world titles and too many styles.
I would love just 1 stand up form of Full Contact Martial Art's and not PKA/WKA/Savate/Muay Thai etc

That's impossible, because they aren't all the same. The best try was K-1 and not everyone agreed on the rules there. Different sports, different rules.

Not really, it's pretty easy to know who the best Kickboxers are. They're all in Glory. Not a difficult sport to follow if you have half a brain...

FRANKIE 総統;88821285 said:
That's impossible, because they aren't all the same. The best try was K-1 and not everyone agreed on the rules there. Different sports, different rules.

At least 2 rules would work have full rules Muay Thai for 1 comp and Full Contact for the other/

At least 2 rules would work have full rules Muay Thai for 1 comp and Full Contact for the other/
There is Muay Thai and Kickboxing, all these other second rate kickfight sports like Savate and Sanda are regional and nobody outside of those regions care about them.

Again, easy to follow...

There is Muay Thai and Kickboxing, all these other second rate kickfight sports like Savate and Sanda are regional and nobody outside of those regions care about them.

Again, easy to follow...

In Kickboxing I mean more shiny pant's above the waist not some watered down version of Muay Thai.

Somrak Khamsing won gold at the 1996 Olympics and was one of the best Muay Thai fighters before that. Wijan Ponlid won gold at the 2000 Olympics and was a premier low weight fighter, and Rajadamnern stadium champion. Other Thai's have medaled since, that were Muay Thai fighters, but I can't verify how good they were.

Also found out Issara Sakkreerin won bronze in the welterweight division at the 1992 Olympics.

He was Lumpini lightweight champ and beat Dekkers.

American Kickboxing has been dead forever and is not relevant in 2013...

i still believe in WCL making a comeback
American kickboxing is the most exciting combat sport IMO, i don't know why it didn't sell

i still believe in WCL making a comeback
American kickboxing is the most exciting combat sport IMO, i don't know why it didn't sell

It was a bit easier back in the late 70's/80's as you had Muay Thai and Full Contact with a crossover for both being WKA rules don't you say ?
Me I would love to see WCL come back as a world comp.

It was a bit easier back in the late 70's/80's as you had Muay Thai and Full Contact with a crossover for both being WKA rules don't you say ?
Me I would love to see WCL come back as a world comp.

agreed

Back