Why does my Reyes no foul look nothing like pics online?

SMSLY

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've just picked up a bargain in Amazon and thought I'd share my opinion about it. Not quite a review.

It was long overdue me buying a groin guard because the ones I was using over the years were uncomfortable for a variety of reasons or often non-existent. Gyms always have spare headgear, but sometimes don't have any of these, which makes no sense for obvious reasons.
IMG_20180603_212417_HDR.jpg
This one, however, fits me perfectly and is very light and comfortable. It goes without saying that the quality is very high. It's everything you'd expect from a Reyes product. I'd say it comes up a bit small compared to the size guide on Reyes's site. Medium is supposed to go up to 32 waist, but I'd say this is for sb with around a 30 inch waist like me. Being that this is the Traditional one, it comes up well short of my navel.

My only gripe is the padding around the cup. On the inside it could be a bit thicker and although fine for now I forsee some discomfort in the future. I also wonder why they haven't padded the outside of the cup at all. Apart from looking ugly as shit, it means a direct blow would have no padding between it and the cup. Is that common on other groin guards guys? Does anybody know why mine looks nothing like all the pictures of it online?

Here's another pic.
IMG_20180603_212500_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest I never wear a groin guard at sparring and only wear them during fights because they're mandatory. I've thought about buying one but never really seen the need.

I've just picked up a bargain in Amazon and thought I'd share my opinion about it. Not quite a review.

It was long overdue me buying a groin guard because the ones I was using over the years were uncomfortable for a variety of reasons or often non-existent. Gyms always have spare headgear, but sometimes don't have any of these, which makes no sense for obvious reasons.
View attachment 389585
This one, however, fits me perfectly and is very light and comfortable. It goes without saying that the quality is very high. It's everything you'd expect from a Reyes product. I'd say it comes up a bit small compared to the size guide on Reyes's site. Medium is supposed to go up to 32 waist, but I'd say this is for sb with around a 30 inch waist like me. Being that this is the Traditional one, it comes up well short of my navel.

My only gripe is the padding around the cup. On the inside it could be a bit thicker and although fine for now I forsee some discomfort in the future. I also wonder why they haven't padded the outside of the cup at all. Apart from looking ugly as shit, it means a direct blow would have no padding between it and the cup. Is that common on other groin guards guys? Does anybody know why mine looks nothing like all the pictures of it online?

Here's another pic.
View attachment 389591
Is that the one for women?

This is just another variation of their groin protector. The other one is a higher cut, the "Mexican" style. Both for men. The woman cup doesn't have that little open compartment...

To be honest I never wear a groin guard at sparring and only wear them during fights because they're mandatory. I've thought about buying one but never really seen the need.
I felt the same way until I was body sparring regularly, but now I don't feel confident without one.

I felt the same way until I was body sparring regularly, but now I don't feel confident without one.

There was a period of about 6 months where I sparred every night (Was going through a rough time) I never wore one and never got hit in the cogs. But then I did one round of Muay Thai with a female and go kicked in the cogs about 3 times. I've been fighting since I was 12 and I'd hazard I've been low blowed about 15 - 20 times.

How does your movement feel with it? For me the restrictions in movement and discomfort is what put me off them.

There was a period of about 6 months where I sparred every night (Was going through a rough time) I never wore one and never got hit in the cogs. But then I did one round of Muay Thai with a female and go kicked in the cogs about 3 times. I've been fighting since I was 12 and I'd hazard I've been low blowed about 15 - 20 times.

How does your movement feel with it? For me the restrictions in movement and discomfort is what put me off them.

That's exactly why I went for this one. Small and light as hell. If I was rich I'd have got a winning one, of course.

They used to annoy the hell out of me, but I figured it was just ill fitting gym gear. I hated that they came up so high that when I bent forward they dug into my stomach. This one is an inch or two shorter and just covers my hip bones and crown jewels.
IMG_20180607_123803.jpg

When I don't use one my elbows smash against my hip bones when I block body shots too, which sucks.

I can honestly say it fits so snug it doesn't restrict my movement at all.

Last edited:
Back