Why does RIZIN get so much more attention than ACB around here?

beefcake180

Aces Wild
@Silver
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious which company objectively has more talent and puts on better fights and more cards, yet RIZIN gets way more threads and pbp love in here, despite ACB 86 being the better card yesterday.

This isn't a RIZIN hate thread, the card this morning was entertaining, but I'm missing something here as I don't understand just why it's regarded so highly in here. Is it just PRIDE nostalgia?

I'm still trying to find ACB to watch beginning to end, that's my only issue.
I'd be all over them if I could find the fucker to watch

A bit of PRIDE nostalgia definetly. More familiar with a lot of the talent. Ring MMA which is GOAT MMA, and much can be said for the larger than life production and feel. JMMA is a true alternative.

Also, Rizin event are few and far between while ACB seemingly has a show every weekend. Less is sometimes more.

In the end, ACB has a talented roster and put on good shows but Rizin is an org you want some of those guys end up in, as well as UFC and Bellator.

I think ACB might have somewhat of a feeder stank on them. All their talent seems available so they aren’t one of the orgs that get the hype or stoke alternative org ambitions for fans. People do correctly see them as a great talent source

Last edited:
I know legends like Fedor, Crocop, and Gomi swing by Rizin. Is that the case in ACB? I really don't know.

Also does ACB have Grand Prixs? Cause that's what originally got my attention in Rizin.

Does ACB have the same production value with fireworks etc.?

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious which company objectively has more talent and puts on better fights and more cards, yet RIZIN gets way more threads and pbp love in here, despite ACB 86 being the better card yesterday.

This isn't a RIZIN hate thread, the card this morning was entertaining, but I'm missing something here as I don't understand just why it's regarded so highly in here. Is it just PRIDE nostalgia?

- less events so each one feels more important/gets more attention

- better promotion through social media and english-language coverage

- big names from the UFC, former title challengers

- long JMMA tradition in the hardcore fanbase, no Russian MMA tradition

SHERDOG WORLDWIDE FORUM MOTTO.....

PRIDE NEVER DIES!!!!

I think ACB might have somewhat of a feeder stank on them. All their talent seems available so they aren’t one of the orgs that get the hype or stoke alternative org ambitions for fans. People do correctly see them as a great talent source

Well that may be the common perception, but I'm not sure it's factually true. ACB's talent is much more anchored to them than other promotions due to their Caucasus connection. Some high-profile names like Petr Yan may jump ship but I think most of their stars are much more stuck there, especially considered the UFC's disinterest/difficulty in securing Russian talent, and even more so now when they're shy about getting into bidding wars.

Im way more intrested in acb. The pacing is on point. Plus they have some great talent over there.

ACB needs more promotion on social media....
the management of their twiter s account is nothing amazing (for example)
Also it looks like they do not have a deal with Fite TV anymore, YT is an awesome place but it kinda feels less important when you see the fights there than in Fite or other places (IMO)
Also MMA media gives so much more space to Rizin..... do not really know why, maybe some journalist receive some extra money....

Well that may be the common perception, but I'm not sure it's factually true. ACB's talent is much more anchored to them than other promotions due to their Caucasus connection. Some high-profile names like Petr Yan may jump ship but I think most of their stars are much more stuck there, especially considered the UFC's disinterest/difficulty in securing Russian talent, and even more so now when they're shy about getting into bidding wars.

Maybe you’re right and it’s likely not that common, but you see Zabit leave for UFC after just one title defense. Tokov bounces to M-1 without ever defending his title. Antigulav, only one title defense and he’s in UFC. You mentioned Yan.

That’s a lot of champions. I think most people who invest time in other orgs want to see top prospects yes but they also want to get behind leagues because people want that other big league to rise up since it makes the sport better. When winning a belt likely means a fighter is on his way out it keeps it on that “oh, they have good prospects on that show” basis but it’s not the big show that Rizin presents itself as or Bellator. So fans act accordingly.

I think its because of PRIDE nostalgia and Rizin promotes their events better than ACB. Recently Ariel Helwani had a poll on which promotion they like best. ACB came last and promotions like BAMMA and Cage Warriors(which are no where near in talent and competition) were way higher.

The biggest attention ACB got was when the owner of ACB made a homophobic joke and a sexist statement...they dont get you fans either(atleast not in the west).

Sad that their last event (ACB 86) didnt get much attention(in the west, they got alot in Russia), card of the year imo.

The biggest attention ACB got was when the owner of ACB made a homophobic joke and a sexist statement...they dont get you fans either(atleast not in the west).

Should get you fans on Sherdog though -- like moths to flames.:D

But I guess most sherdog users won't get it when your comments are directed towards Ossentians.

Maybe you’re right and it’s likely not that common, but you see Zabit leave for UFC after just one title defense. Tokov bounces to M-1 without ever defending his title. Antigulav, only one title defense and he’s in UFC. You mentioned Yan.

That’s a lot of champions. I think most people who invest time in other orgs want to see top prospects yes but they also want to get behind leagues because people want that other big league to rise up since it makes the sport better. When winning a belt likely means a fighter is on his way out it keeps it on that “oh, they have good prospects on that show” basis but it’s not the big show that Rizin presents itself as or Bellator. So fans act accordingly.

Yeah some kind of fall-off is inevitable. Even Bellator -- the nr 2 org -- has seen their champions and prospects plundered by the UFC.

I do think however that ACB is in a good position to withstand this due to the sheer quantity of stars/prospects that it produces, which may even surpass Bellators numbers.

Rizin is obviously a special example due to it leaning so heavily on the nostalgia factor and low amount of cards. Holding so few events means that it gets more difficult to groom multiple prospects. It may have the advantage of giving you high ratings but I suspect that it also gives you worse staying-power in the long-run, since you're relying on so few fighters (imagine if Tenshin and Rena gets sniped), and the nostalgia factor doesn't profligate much new stuff to build out off.

Last edited:
Should get you fans on Sherdog though -- like moths to flames.:D

But I guess most sherdog users won't get it when your comments are directed towards Ossentians.

Yeah some kind of fall-off is inevitable. Even Bellator -- the nr 2 org -- has seen their champions and prospects plundered by the UFC.

I do think however that ACB is in a good position to withstand this due to the sheer quantity of stars/prospects that it produces, which may even surpass Bellators numbers.

Rizin is obviously a special example due to it leaning so heavily on the nostalgia factor and low amount of cards. Holding so few events means that it gets more difficult to groom multiple prospects. It may have the advantage of giving you high ratings but I suspect that it also gives you worse staying-power in the long-run, since you're relying on so few fighters (imagine if Tenshin and Rena gets sniped), and the nostalgia factor doesn't profligate much new stuff to build out off.

I think The promoter is cool with the Ossetians now, Arthur Taymazov(legendary ossetian wrestler) was at the event yesterday and sat right next to him.

The talent pool in ACB is insane if you count the Berkut Young Eagles format they are using now, ive seen every fight there and there are legit talents there, not only from Russia but other countries in Europe and Brazil.

Because it's not as appealing. It's another cage promotion.

I'm much more interested in ACB and the other big Russian promotions. Pride nostalgia definitely helps carry Rizin somewhat, but unfortunately Rizin is Pride minus all the elite imported talent that actually made it credible.

People don't care about the actual sports. They need "production value with fireworks",ex -UFC guys and freak shows like Gabi Garcia vs Yumiko Hotta to get invested in a show.

ACB's slogan is "Less show,more fighting". If you want to watch actual competitive high level fights you'd lean towards that,if you want to watch JMMA freak shows because of an entertainment factor,you'd pick Rizin. I think each russian promotion (FNG,ACB,M-1,WFCA) is better than Rizin in terms of it's talent. The only notable fighter on Rizin's roster is Horiguchi.

The rules is a big one.

Fighting in a ring with soccer kicks and stomps immediately has greater appeal to me, I hope they keep the 10 minute first round too.

It doesn't take much effort to follow Rizin. You barely need to pay attention to it because they barely have any cards and you can know all the main fighters.

As well as top fighters and exciting prospects they also have legends and other veterans which is the main nostalgia factor for me.

Crocop
Fedor
Gomi
Mach Sakurai
Aoki
Kawajiri
Sakuraba
Wanderlei Silva
Frank fuckin Shamrock (even though his match sucked)
Peter Aerts
Andy Souwer
Kron Gracie
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka
James Thompson
Bloody heath Herring??

Yes the nostalgia factor is very, very strong with Rizin.

Last edited:
Can people explain the appeal of ring mma to me? I've never gotten it. Constant resets and interruptions of the action.

People say the cage favors wrestlers but in modern mma with a proper takedown defense and get ups game the cage is much more appealing. Nothing annoys me more than fighters crawling under the ropes for resets and shit like the refs helping Aoki get takedowns on Hansen with the ropes in DREAM, fights are much more fluid and controlled in a caged environment.

Not to mention the inherent unneccessary danger you put fighters in of falling out of the ring. Just way more things that can go wrong in a ring setting that disrupt a proper fight.

And nostalgia seems to be the other big reason here. Which I get but I'm just meh on. It definitely has a place which I'm very glad is getting filled but it's not something I geek out over.

I just wish more fight fans actually cared to follow new fighters as well. Yusuf Raisov is one of the top Featherweights not signed to the UFC right now at 22, just won the belt Zabit had before he came to the UFC and yet because he isn't fighting in Japan he'll be basically unknown until he signs to a bigger org. Blows my mind.

Back