Why does RIZIN get so much more attention than ACB around here?

JMMA huggers. They love to say how UFC is turning WWE and isn't a sport, but love all the freakshow wrassling angles in JMMA.

The production though.

Cool ring bro.

Does the ref wear an earpiece?

Sure, I can try to explain why I prefer it at least.

Primarily, ring ropes are more difficult to use as a tool in a fight compared to a fence, making the fight more about 1 man vs 1 man rather than who can utilise their environment the best.
For example, if you get taken down in a cage you can use the fence to push off and sweep, or to wall walk and get back up (impossible in a ring). Similarly wrestlers can hold you against the cage and wear you down, or wear the clock down (much more difficult in a ring).
If done fairly and quickly i actually like resetting in the centre, as it ensured the fighters always have room to work. Somethong aalot of people would like to see is fighting in an open area and a ring is closer to simulating a fight in an open area, thanks to resetting in the centre (at least during groundwork). Also, the flexibility and large gap between the ropes mean fighters can go for leg and armlocks in any position and are less likely to be blocked off by ropes than they are by a fence.
In summary of this point; while you might think that the ring interferes in the fight more it actually interferes and is much less of a factor than a cage is.
That's why I like it more.

A completely separate benefit is that it induces more entertaining striking bouts due to the ease in which you can corner your opponent.

Also in terms of visibility it's much better although that only really applies to live audiences.

When I was bored I actually designed the perfect fighting area which is neither a ring nor a cage, in fact its a lot closer to a cage so I'm not tied to the idea of a ring at all, I just think it's better for a real 1 on 1 fight than a cage is.

Thanks man. Much appreciated. Quality post.

I prefer the cage personally, just can't stand resets but I do love how it changes the striking game.

If you've ever seen Victory FC on Fight Pass they use a squared cage, kind of a best of both worlds situation. Its pretty interesting.

JMMA huggers. They love to say how UFC is turning WWE and isn't a sport, but love all the freakshow wrassling angles in JMMA.

The production though.

Cool ring bro.

Does the ref wear an earpiece?
Actually that already happened in 2011 and has been renewed in 2016
https://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/...ts-entertainment-to-get-legalised-in-new-york

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12...ttle-between-sport-entertainment-and-business

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_entertainment

And there was 600lbs sumo fighter in the ufc, but that doesnt count as a freakfight?

Last edited:
shiny white ring > dirty dark cage
ruleset
pretty girls
handsome men

I find constant fights on my fight cards more entertaining than cards with 40 minute interrmissions and 20 minute fighter intros. I guess that's where I'm finding a disconnect here. Do we watch mma to watch mma? What am I missing?

Rizin does a great job of making it so you have a personal connection to the fighters, and thus you care about them more. ACB doesn't do that, its strickly fights (which is good). But there is no storyline, and no connection. When I learn more about a fighters I begin to care more if they lose. Its about making each fighter a star. Yes I watch MMA for the fights, but at the same time I need to know the guy who is fighting to give a shit. Undefeated prospects or great up and comers are interesting but Rizin also provides their background and makes the fights feel "big".

Thats why I think its better to me.

I guess part of it would also be that there are about as many Japanophiles out there as there are ants. Those people will be drawn to it simply for being Japanese. While Russophiles tend to be people who reads books and Caucasusphiles... hell I don't even know if they exist or not.:D

Is ACB owned or run by horrible people? Serious question.

I guess part of it would also be that there are about as many Japanophiles out there as there are ants. Those people will be drawn to it simply for being Japanese. While Russophiles tend to be people who reads books and Caucasusphiles... hell I don't even know if they exist or not.:D

There were Caucasusphiles back in the day, mainly German anthropologist that were fascinated with our skulls. We dont get that much attention these days :(.

There were Caucasusphiles back in the day, mainly German anthropologist that were fascinated with our skulls

<{you!}>

I guess Tolstoy counts too... to give a non-horrific example.

Maybe thies will be changed, when Frank Mir Fights thies September in USA in ACB 94 EVENT.

<{you!}>

I guess Tolstoy counts too... to give a non-horrific example.

The German anthropologists weren't that bad :D, they named the a whole race after us "Caucasian". Tolstoy was cool too.

The German anthropologists weren't that bad :D, they named the a whole race after us "Caucasian". Tolstoy was cool too.

1206855.jpg

i dont bother with rizin. i enjoy the entertainment aspect but who are the fighters ?

acb is clearly superior and the owner is not broadcasting it in english just to remain a minor regional promotion.

Long answer: Pride was one of the biggest organizations we've seen, there's a lot of old heads around here who are very familiar with Pride. Those old heads don't necessarily just long for another Pride, but some enjoy the Japanese MMA experience. It wasn't only Pride that had a lot of pageantry, at one point Hero*s was around, and later Dream and Sengoku, and they offered a similar experience that you just don't really find anywhere else. All of those organizations got love around here during their time. It will always be that way when a new Japanese org pops up that had decent talent. We may be a niche group these days, but we jive with the Japanese MMA experience.

ACB is good though. The cards I caught were all solid. But I will miss an ACB card without feeling like I missed something important, while I always try to make the Rizin cards if at all possible. Just enjoy the different side of MMA.

Well that may be the common perception, but I'm not sure it's factually true. ACB's talent is much more anchored to them than other promotions due to their Caucasus connection. Some high-profile names like Petr Yan may jump ship but I think most of their stars are much more stuck there, especially considered the UFC's disinterest/difficulty in securing Russian talent, and even more so now when they're shy about getting into bidding wars.

Zabit was an acb champ, Askarov defended yesterday and now is leaving for the Ufc, Antigulov left for UFC, as did Yan. So there is some history of it being used as a feeder org

I love acb and one fc, but I havnt been following it for a while. Still love those 2 organizations, although one fc be doing some sketchy shit sometimes. I also like how one fc made an app, now we can watch all one fc events for free :) .

Back