Why does stronglifts 5x5 have you squat so much?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Been doing stronglifts 5x5 for a bit and was just reading the leangains site. Apparently Martin prefers reverse pyramid training so I thought I'd look into it.

Well I come to find out that his plan treats squats just like any other lift, and he does it once a weak. So then I look up some other routines and find a bunch that only squat once a week as well.

So is one better than the other? Stronglifts has you squatting every single workout, even though none of the other exercises in the plan are done that frequently.

Not saying the reasoning is correct, but: I think the idea is the compound lifts like squats and deads that target nearly the whole posterior chain and legs are prioritized. Deads though are considered hard on the CNS so are only once a week. Starting Strength is similarly structured.

I am built like a T-rex and squats are my best lift followed by deads, so I do the program with a little less volume on squats and do the bench and press first and add in alternating dips and pullups and external shoulder rotations.

Edit: Also as a beginner program, the idea is probably to get newbies used to getting under weight on the bar and working on their form a lot since squats is an exercise people do wrong or don't do all too often when they are starting out or just mimicking what the next yahoo over in the gym is doing.

Last edited:
Volume is good for new lifters/gains.

Because you get better at something by doing it often. This applies to any activity.

You aren't lifting heavy enough yet to not be able to improve every session on your squats. For a decent period you will be able to squat freqently at maximal weights and eat and make improvements. Once that drops off you need to vary things up a bit and dropping the squat volume works for some people.

Personally I prefer the Tactical barbell approach and using sub maximal weights, but strength isn't my main focus and I have over 10 years of regular training.

Been doing stronglifts 5x5 for a bit and was just reading the leangains site. Apparently Martin prefers reverse pyramid training so I thought I'd look into it.

Well I come to find out that his plan treats squats just like any other lift, and he does it once a weak. So then I look up some other routines and find a bunch that only squat once a week as well.

So is one better than the other? Stronglifts has you squatting every single workout, even though none of the other exercises in the plan are done that frequently.

Hey I did the Strong Lifts program a few years back. I think the guy who popularized this program logic was that it is the most important exercise thus you should do it the most frequently. FYI he's some dude from Belgium with little to no prior exercise exp or credentials in fitness. He adopted the program from a weightlifter I believe his last name was Star who used it in the 1970s if you go to the website you can read about its origins. With that being said the program is great if your a raw beginner however if you have some base strength or do anything else physical (run, work on your feet, any sport or martial art etc) this program will cause you to over train. Your attempting to hit a new 5x5 max on squats 3x times a week with a day between to recover. It's not sustainable or smart to train that hard all the time unless your 18-19 or are using testerone or steroids. I did get a lot stronger on this program but i was insanely sore and could barely walk 90% of the week. I also didn't like that I got a huge ass and legs and had a pretty much average looking upper body. Also your eventually going to injure yourself going that heavy when your body is already hurting from squatting 2 other times during the week hard. Do the program long enough and you will eventually F yourself up.

It's beneficial to do compound/structural lifts because they lead to the most strength gains + you're not squatting on consecutive days anyways.

Squatting 3 times a week worked fine for me in the beginning. I guess squatting twice/week might have worked just as well, as long as the volume was right.

One the contrary, benching 1.5 times per week is nowhere near enough for me. I think it only really worked for the first couple of months, and even then, benching more often might have been better.

Hey I did the Strong Lifts program a few years back. I think the guy who popularized this program logic was that it is the most important exercise thus you should do it the most frequently. FYI he's some dude from Belgium with little to no prior exercise exp or credentials in fitness. He adopted the program from a weightlifter I believe his last name was Star who used it in the 1970s if you go to the website you can read about its origins. With that being said the program is great if your a raw beginner however if you have some base strength or do anything else physical (run, work on your feet, any sport or martial art etc) this program will cause you to over train. Your attempting to hit a new 5x5 max on squats 3x times a week with a day between to recover. It's not sustainable or smart to train that hard all the time unless your 18-19 or are using testerone or steroids. I did get a lot stronger on this program but i was insanely sore and could barely walk 90% of the week. I also didn't like that I got a huge ass and legs and had a pretty much average looking upper body. Also your eventually going to injure yourself going that heavy when your body is already hurting from squatting 2 other times during the week hard. Do the program long enough and you will eventually F yourself up.

Ha, i am the same buddy. Got a huge ass and legs from doing 5x5 for more than a year and felt like my chest and shoulders looked exactly the same as when i started.

Never understood why you couldn't do something like:

M/Th
5x5 Bench
5x5 Deadlift

T/F
5x5 Squat
5x5 Row

•With 2 more accessory lifts each day

I have found the strength benefits to be much greater with basically that plan than my 6 month attempt with SS.

Bill Starr

https://www.elitefts.com/education/honoring-a-legend-remembering-bill-starr/

It works good initially, but I too experienced the overload. I was constantly broke down, although when I had a few days to recover I felt strong as shit, only to go to back to the gym and do it all over again. I think SS is a little bit better if you live a physical lifestyle, or already run, do BJJ, box, etc.

Back