Why don't more fighters swing for the fence in the last round if they are down every round?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
This seems like something that is obvious but for some reason alot of fighters dont do it. I understand thinking and doing are two seperate things but it seems like if you're down on the cards in the last round you should be swinging for the fences, risking it all to get that win. If not then whats the point?

If you do it might turn out in your favor as it did for Boetsch

I’d probably say the number one factor is CARDIO.

I mean if you’ve been on the losing end of a fight for 10-20 minutes I highly doubt there’s much left in the tank.

bc they ain't there to fight, they there to spar. except for maybe 3 or 4 fighters total

This seems like something that is obvious but for some reason alot of fighters dont do it. I understand thinking and doing are two seperate things but it seems like if you're down on the cards in the last round you should be swinging for the fences, risking it all to get that win. If not then whats the point?

Boetsch is a different animal.
Heart of a lion.

One of the few fighters that come from Jeet Kun Do background.
Its founder would've approved Boetsch:

upload_2017-11-2_15-6-25.jpeg

guys get beat into submission and fight to not get finished.

enjoyed the Boetch comeback video

fucking awesome lol. Rogan just losing it

Cardio and usually when you start swinging for the fences you get cot.

Dumb question.

U have just been fighting for 10 minutes getting shit beat out u. Hence ur down. U think u got the energy to just go all out aggro ?

Because their corners are telling them they’re doing great and winning

"Why don't people who are losing try to win"

DnF5rB7.gif

Fans will casually bash a fighter for not throwing down in a last ditch attempt to win, but it's not that simple. You're tired, wounded, and trying to avoid getting your ass knocked out cold. It's not like your opponent just drops his hands and sticks his chin out. He's going for the highlight reel finish and FOTN bonus. Often times, by the last round, It's all about survival for the losing fighter.

Just because you are a pro fighter doesn’t mean you don’t care about getting your brain shut down

I don't get it sometimes either. I understand if you've been in a tough grueling fight or grappling heavy fight your arms legs and generally whole body is going to be tired and burnt out same with the mind.

I've also seen alot of fights where guys stand around, staring at eachother, jabbing air throwing weak leg kicks and kicking arms for 15 minutes end up losinga split decision where they have more than enough energy to go for it they just choose not to, then having fans get butthurt about the decision after. Lol

Best example eva !
Big Boetsch fan. I think I was screaming louder than Joe.
Also Tim's barbarian scream was badass.

Cardio.

Fear of leaving themselves open for a brain damaging shot.

Their stupid corner have told them that they're winning the fight.

self preservation. either consciously or instinctually, a loss is a loss. but a loss where you got tattered up vs getting your face pounded in because you threw caution to the wind and swung and bung are different. there are physical consequences to the fighter, despite the slight increase chance of winning.

cardio. if youre already losing the fight, chances are you spent quite a bit of energy in the first two rounds.

psychology. some fighters just arent well prepared mentally for strategic fighting. a lot of people go in there and operate 90%+ trained instinct. sometimes thats a good thing, but in this situation, if you're primary goal is to win the fight, then it is not. Some fighters are able to consciously switch up their styles based on their opponents and/or their current situation. others arent as well trained.

Dumb question.

U have just been fighting for 10 minutes getting shit beat out u. Hence ur down. U think u got the energy to just go all out aggro ?

Hey, it worked in every climactic fight scene of every 80s action flick, so why not? :cool:

But seriously, if you're going to just passively accept defeat then you might as well just get it over with quickly. You wind up actually taking less damage being finished quickly than 3-5 rounds of constant battering.

I don't get it sometimes either. I understand if you've been in a tough grueling fight or grappling heavy fight your arms legs and generally whole body is going to be tired and burnt out same with the mind.

I've also seen alot of fights where guys stand around, staring at eachother, jabbing air throwing weak leg kicks and kicking arms for 15 minutes end up losinga split decision where they have more than enough energy to go for it they just choose not to, then having fans get butthurt about the decision after. Lol

EXACTLY!!! A lot of so-called fighters don't even try from the start. It's hard to call it a cardio issue when they're standing around in the third round the same way they stood around in the first.

Many people fight in their head so they respond to fights like that. Some people have learned through their training and experience to push it into another gear. Not all people have that gear.

If fighting and not doing well or if matched with another person who is similar, we sometimes get into a rut. It is like a boring rhythm that we know we are in but can't seem to get out. Sometimes our opponent gets us out of it for good or bad but very occasionally, they are in it as well. It is flat and an off night type of thing. Cardio is part but there is some mental thing that just happens. Kind of feel stuck, you are watching yourself be like this and you can't seem to find the right words or thoughts to get out. You go base level. Many times your opponent will end it for you but sometimes they suck as well.

Back