Why don't more people like women's basketball?

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The local sports section has been covering the women's ncaa tournament and I don't care about it at all. I am not a fan.

I cannot pin down the reason I am not compelled to watch women’s basketball. I would rather watch two good high school boys team play than the women’s ncaa tournament.

It isn’t like I do not enjoy watching women's sports. I am a big fan of women's mma except for cyborg. I enjoy women track and field. I like women’s indoor and beach volleyball (and not just to see women in bikinis). The ncaa recently added women’s beach volleyball and it was really exciting to watch the tournament last year. I loved the format. I am not really a fan of tennis, but I could watch women play as much as the men.

Women's basketball gets a thumbs down for me.

Do you enjoy watching women's basketball and why is it that so few do compared to men's basketball?

cuz its awful and boring. Almost as bad as soccer.

Personally, and I know I'm in the minority, I think all basketball is boring and irrelevant.
You can just watch the last five minutes of any game really. If the score is close, it might be exciting, if not you can turn it off. No one comes back from a 12 pt deficit in .8 seconds yet they will take last minute timeouts that end up making 1:32 last almost 20 minutes. Stupid.

Since women are inferior athletes, their version must be incredibly bad. Do not want.

Because it's almost as bad as wmma

Skill level.

Skill level is fine but the game is a lot slower and and less athletic. Tough to watch when you know what basketball can be. It just doesn't translate well to the women's game. Which is weird because women's volleyball is completely watchable.

Personally, and I know I'm in the minority, I think all basketball is boring and irrelevant.
You can just watch the last five minutes of any game really. If the score is close, it might be exciting, if not you can turn it off. No one comes back from a 12 pt deficit in .8 seconds yet they will take last minute timeouts that end up making 1:32 last almost 20 minutes. Stupid.

LOL -- You sound like just about every Canadian hockey fan when i was a kid; a time before basketball became very, very popular.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your perspective, it's just funny that it sounds like the standard Canadian hockey fan opinion from the 80s.

man, I wish I'd kept that old game I used to have as a kid
5e50821f0b7a01542b5ec94f8023917f.jpg

hours of enjoyment

man, I wish I'd kept that old game I used to have as a kid
5e50821f0b7a01542b5ec94f8023917f.jpg

hours of enjoyment

There is a bar called Arcade that I take my kids to (they allow accompanied kids until 8pm) and they have table hockey. My kids are mesmerized by it.

Because they suck. ever watch a wnba game? those chicks airball layups regularly.

of course it is more than that, but thats the biggest reason. some womens sports though, the women are very skillful such as gymnastics and figure skating. beyond that, the women are fugly. if you want men to watch, there needs to at least be a few attractive girls. basketball for women is pretty much going after the lesbian crowd, so their women tend to look like that stereotype. there are a few exceptions, but not many.

other womens sports where the women may lack skill (mma, tennis, etc) at least have a decent percentage of the ladies who are nice to look at. of course some are ugly, but lets be honest, people were watching miesha, gina, anna kournikova, etc. as much or more for their looks than their skill. nobody is wanting to check out Brittany Greiner. You are who you market to. the lesbian crowd is limited

I can't imagine a man who is a big fan of the WNBA not being a giant plain 'ol fucking dork.

Because they suck. ever watch a wnba game? those chicks airball layups regularly.

of course it is more than that, but thats the biggest reason. some womens sports though, the women are very skillful such as gymnastics and figure skating. beyond that, the women are fugly. if you want men to watch, there needs to at least be a few attractive girls. basketball for women is pretty much going after the lesbian crowd, so their women tend to look like that stereotype. there are a few exceptions, but not many.

other womens sports where the women may lack skill (mma, tennis, etc) at least have a decent percentage of the ladies who are nice to look at. of course some are ugly, but lets be honest, people were watching miesha, gina, anna kournikova, etc. as much or more for their looks than their skill. nobody is wanting to check out Brittany Greiner. You are who you market to. the lesbian crowd is limited

A friends daughter was a good softball player and got a college scholarship. She said over half of the players were lesbians who didn't like the women who weren't.

Skill level is fine but the game is a lot slower and and less athletic. Tough to watch when you know what basketball can be. It just doesn't translate well to the women's game. Which is weird because women's volleyball is completely watchable.

Yeah, it's definitely not skill level. It's athletic limits. If you're a basketball purist who just loves the artfulness of the game, strategy, etc., it may well be just as good. But most of us are more casual, action-oriented than that.

This is just false, and pretty laughably so.

This isn't the case in women's high school basketball, let alone in the WNBA. In fact, I'd bet hefty coin that layup accuracy is considerably higher in the WNBA than the NBA, just as FT% is higher in the WNBA.

There isn't much of a difference in skill. The stark difference is in athleticism.

It's weird because I love women and I love basketball. Seems logical I would love them together but I don't. It ruins both of them.

This is just false, and pretty laughably so.

This isn't the case in women's high school basketball, let alone in the WNBA. In fact, I'd bet hefty coin that layup accuracy is considerably higher in the WNBA than the NBA, just as FT% is higher in the WNBA.

There isn't much of a difference in skill. The stark difference is in athleticism.
if you say so. i used to bet regularly on the games and therefore watched some. if you think the skill is remotely similar, i dont know what to tell you. they are horrible. also, they might shoot better free throws because they play with a smaller ball. but you go ahead and stick up for their play. you and the dozens in the stands and hundreds watching at home can keep it a secret from the rest of us

Back