Why dont strikers in MMA/Kickboxing "Jab" to the knee with the side kick?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Bruce Lee was right in that the side kick is a very long range kick, it is also a solidly structured kick that stops your advancement forward, the knee is the nearest target usually, and the side kick doesn't have to be lifted that high to strike to the knee so its faster kicking low.

So why are MMA strikers and kick boxers not standing further back and using the side kick or side teep to the knee to "jab" like a boxer uses a jab to stay at a safe distance while doing damage?

Why do they stay in punching or round kicking range most of the time?

You would have thought their would be alot more in and out movements striking to the knee or whatever body part was closest, but instead they get closer and try to land a shorter strike instead.

Why is that?

Like this, side stance like a boxer lots of in and out motion like they are but with long ranged side kicks to the front leg knee the closest part of the opponent.

Why doesn't that work?

Last edited:
Because the side stance barely works in a sport where people will most likely exploit it with lowkicks.

And some people do teep to the knee.

Because the side stance barely works in a sport where people will most likely exploit it with lowkicks.

And some people do teep to the knee.

hqdefault.jpg

Works really well actually even against top level muay thai fighters see san shou

Its just the Karate and TKD :eek::eek::eek:s gave it a bad name with their girly strikes

Jon Jones side/front kicked to the knee just about every single fight.

Jon Jones side/front kicked to the knee just about every single fight.

You are in no position to answer questions space time, you are a stupid big headed nub

1) Jon Jones has an unusual body type, very long limbs

2) Lots of things work in MMA that are ineffective at a higher level, because the talent pool for MMA striking is low

Using him as am example shows how r-tarded you are if real, or how clever you are if a troll

hqdefault.jpg

Works really well actually even against top level muay thai fighters see san shou

Its just the Karate and TKD :eek::eek::eek:s gave it a bad name with their girly strikes

Do you know even train or are you just talking shit out of google...

there's more than one style of karate and in the style I practice and compete in (shinkyokushin), front and side kicks are used often but they are also vulnerable to front kick blocks and counters with, for example leg kicks on a leg with no solid ground.

side stances are useful in TKD and point karate merely due to their non full contact rules; not having to deal with blows to the leg or in my world a geran mawashigeri.

It looks like it can hurt badly getting hit on the knee with a side kick.

so in formats where its allowed why dont they use it? The idea is to hurt your opponent and to win

why don't you show us how it's done then, if it's so easily done and super effective like you claim to be... i'll be waiting for your video.. with the ref raising your hand ofcourse

You are in no position to answer questions space time, you are a stupid big headed nub

1) Jon Jones has an unusual body type, very long limbs

2) Lots of things work in MMA that are ineffective at a higher level, because the talent pool for MMA striking is low

Using him as am example shows how r-tarded you are if real, or how clever you are if a troll

You asked why dont they do it in MMA. I answered Some Do. Then you answer that the level of striking in MMA is low. Why do you ask questions you already answer yourself???

You asked why dont they do it in MMA. I answered Some Do. Then you answer that the level of striking in MMA is low. Why do you ask questions you already answer yourself???

I wanna know if its effective or not as a technique /strategy vs high level strikers. I do not know if it is or not.

First of all, the level
of striking in todays UFC is not low. Alistar Overeem was a fucking K1 champ to just mention one.

Second of all, what some movie actor in the 70s advocated is completely irrelevant.

First of all, the level
of striking in todays UFC is not low. Alistar Overeem was a fucking K1 champ to just mention one.

Second of all, what some movie actor in the 70s advocated is completely irrelevant.

Ok wow you are a troll, you are a good troll, I dont compliment many trolls but you are good, not so destructive either so you are not gutter slime.

It works like how Jon Jones used it in all his fight. Rampage still bitching about how it ruined his career. But like all technique, you have to train for it.

MMA uses mostly Muay Thai for their striking base. In muay thai, you don't teep their knees. You teep their waist or center of gravity.

Jon Jones used it to great benefit. You can see guys from Jackson-winkle camp utilizing it more and more in fighters like Holly and others. Can't remember names but that one manlet and many other Jackson-winkle fighters are using it.

I would also like to add, kicking the knee is not as fun as it looks. While it hyperextends your opponent, it also hurts you foot. If you don't land properly, there's a high chance of jamming your toes. You definitely need to train and practice it. Especially it they try to check your kick. If you going for kicks to the knee, I highly suggest a side kick than a straight teep.

I’m all for shitting on spacetime but you did it prematurely and unnecessarily dude.

Unless you are a southpaw, a sidekick to the thigh would be showing your back. It would be an oblique kick in an orthodox vs orthodox fight.

And unless you are tall and particularly dexterous at throwing non-commital strikes, if you spam that strike more than a couple times I would step in and overhand the shit out of your temple.

Try using it in hard sparring to the shin just as a feeler, guarantee you will:
a) Accomplish nothing
or
b) Get clocked

Not to say it’s a shitty strike. But it’s worthless unless you get really good at it.

Just wait until you start hard sparring or even fighting. Unless you have a TMA background, when the shit gets real the only strikes you will be throwing is hooks, straights, and round kicks. God forbid throwing front kicks, teeps, side kicks, flying spinning kicks etc.

Lol I mean just look at the video you posted. I didn’t see any ‘damage’ being done with those side kicks. Just a bunch of stalling. They were more like feints to the body anyway. I don’t think low kicks are even allowed. (A much easier and effective strike to land)

Last edited:
I've had a few people do it to me and I've done it to others.

It's not really a damaging strike, its more annoyance and mind games. Makes you think twice about rushing in cause the guy is kicking your knee but apart from that it doesn't do much else.

Back