Why don't you like Metal?

Crimson Glory

Go Pack Go!
@red
Reaction score
I generally try not to care why people don't like the greatest form of music on earth. Makes sense to a certain degree, but I love it so much that I find it odd that people can completely dislike the entire genre.

What are your reasons for not liking it? Gimme something more than just "It sux" or "It just noise".

I love (a few subgenres of) metal. So I'm not actually answering here, just to add to the OP: When I hear people talking music, metal is probably the genre most often mentioned as "the one genre I dislike". As in "Hmm, I like all sorts of stuff - except metal ...!"

I love (a few subgenres of) metal. So I'm not actually answering here, just to add to the OP: When I hear people talking music, metal is probably the genre most often mentioned as "the one genre I dislike". As in "Hmm, I like all sorts of stuff - except metal ...!"
That's generally what you get from 90% of the people you talk too... in North America anyway.

I always hit the tired saying "I listen too everything" with, "What's your favorite Black Metal band?"

Sarcastically, but it's a lazy response to just say "I listen too everything", no one likes everything. We all have our likes, dislikes and indifferences, there's nothing wrong with that most of the time.

I personally will never be a fan of country or gospel. They just fill me with a complex set of feelings of second hand embarassment, loathing, irritation, among others.

Probably not the best board to be asking this question, though. I feel like fans of MMA or fighting in general tend to be more into metal than the general population.

During my teens I loved Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and some of the older stuff like Dio, DP etc . I guess I just drifted away to grunge and alternative like RHCP and Faith no more. Then I drifted to EDM. I just found I enjoyed EDM and I didn't find it as depressing as metal made me.

During my teens I loved Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and some of the older stuff like Dio, DP etc . I guess I just drifted away to grunge and alternative like RHCP and Faith no more. Then I drifted to EDM. I just found I enjoyed EDM and I didn't find it as depressing as metal made me.
I feel yah.

I can't listen to most Thrash Metal anymore, it's kind of boring to me.

I still have a Slayer flag on my wall, but I've been debating taking it down for a long time. Those first 4 or so albums were so good though, I feel like I'd miss it.

Alot of the stuff I like now is Progressive, or more uplifting/anthemic. The extreme stuff that's usually more dark and well, depressing isn't a word I'd use, but I know what you mean when you say it. It's played almost exclusively in a minor key so, it can make one feel that way.

I've been opening up more and more to genres like Electronic/Techno, Rap, Blues, Jazz, even pop is something I find is a guilty pleasure sometimes and can't help but appreciate. I've always been somewhat open, but with age I found I don't care about "being a Metal fan" like I used to, like it's all I can enjoy.

I hate the new movie Lords Of Chaos for officially being the final nail in the coffin of black metal. Black metal died in 1994 RIP. Noobs and sell-outs will lap LOC up most likely...

The book was fun to read in the 90's, but it's full of shit, and all of the artists portrayed in the movie disavow the film's release.

Every major metal site and forum is a joke, just look at any random youtube "black metal" channel and you'll see an overwhelming amount of likes and positive comments for their fresh daily uploads. The current "black metal" scene is completely oversturated with waterdown down, derivative, droning, larping crap. Any poser with a laptop and a guitar can spend a couple weeks on a few songs and suddenly it's considered a serious band. Drum triggers, guitar distortion, and whiney screeching do not make it black metal.

If you want a good laugh, check out the youtube channel BLACK METAL PROMOTIONS to see exactly what I mean!

who said i don't like metal? its all lies i tell ya,lies!

If bands actually used respectable equipment like early black sabbath I might like it better. All that pre amp noise and effects in modern metal just sounds like shit to me.

Depends on the genre.
I liked thrash metal back in the day.
I love progressive, power and Symphonic metal. And most importantly. CLEAN VOCALS.

I hate growly banging on the guitar and screaming and any music where it is impossible to understand what the singer is saying. Phil Anselmo, M Shadows(early albums) or Hansi Kurcsh is about as hard or growly a voice as I want to hear.

My friend got me to listen to a band called Dark tranquility, some song called "Wonders at your feet" because he knew I would like the music. I did, but the singing completely made me hate it. You might as well have Eminem singing freestyle or a country singer with a redneck drawl singing to it country style with Melodic metal in the background . It is antithetical to the music itself in my ears to have someone doing shitty growls.

At least with Epica, I only have to hear Mark Jansen's shitty voice growls a fraction of the time while the rest of the song is Simone's awesome voice. but his shitty growls will forever rank them behind Nightwish since Marco Hietala is a much better clean vocalist for the male parts of nightwish.

I find the themes of their songs cheesy for the most part, kinda juvenile.
Though I do like Iron Maiden for some reason, perhaps because the themes are so far over the top.

I find the themes of their songs cheesy for the most part, kinda juvenile.
Though I do like Iron Maiden for some reason, perhaps because the themes are so far over the top.
With all due respect, thats a stereotype.

It's like hearing Glam and Thrash back in the 80's and thinking that's all that Metal has to offer.

I used to think the same way about rap, listened to a few artists that could actually write lyrics/themes that I didn't find incredibly dumb and I realized not all Rap was "Blang blang, bitches and hoes, money money money, booty booty booty booty rockin everywhere" ad nauseam.

Last edited:
because I'm getting older don't get me wrong I still listen to it but I'm moving towards more stuff like Down, BLS, and Clutch and away from bands like Dimmu Borgir and Six Feet Under.

because I'm getting older don't get me wrong I still listen to it but I'm moving towards more stuff like Down, BLS, and Clutch and away from bands like Dimmu Borgir and Six Feet Under.
I agree with you there.

I find I'm less into extreme metal now in my 20's.

I try to still enjoy the bands I liked back in the day, but I rarely find anything new.

Vocals are a big thing for me, I like a bit of grit, even a bit of distortion. I just, find it hard to really enjoy alot of extreme metal, unless I've already developed a serious connection to a band or song.

Another thing I find is, just like with typical "clean" vocals, "distorted" or "gutteral" vocals have to have a certain tone... I generally find myself, on average, disliking distorted vocals very easily, it's often miss and rarely hit if you know what I mean, because not everyone is Mikael Akerfeldt... even he's stopped doing his monstrously beautiful vocals because he can't do it anymore apparently.

I used to listen to metal a lot in high school and early 20s. Don't listen to it that much anymore, but I still appreciate it in the event I decide to listen to some of the old stuff.

I like some stuff here and there, but for the most part I find it a bit try hard, to a cheesy degree.

I also find metal fans to be some of the more closed minded fans of any medium. It's all metal, all the time, and everything else is shit. It's like a person who only ever watches horror movies, and then trying to explain to them why some drama is a really good movie.

"Shit's gay. Where's the gore, and the titties?"

That's akin to the kind of conversations I've had with pure metalheads, about other genres of music.

"Pink Floyd? They suck! Put on Slayer or Cannibal Corpse!!!"

What I've heard more often is "...except country."

Last edited:
I like some stuff here and there, but for the most part I find it a bit try hard, to a cheesy degree.

I also find metal fans to be some of the more closed minded fans of any medium. It's all metal, all the time, and everything else is shit. It's like a person who only ever watches horror movies, and then trying to explain to them why some drama is a really good movie.

"Shit's gay. Where's the gore, and the titties?"

That's akin to the kind of conversations I've had with pure metalheads, about other genres of music.

"Pink Floyd? They suck! Put on Slayer or Cannibal Corpse!!!"
They often can be.

I was a bit close minded for awhile in my teens... I guess I had something to prove as a fan of the music.

I will say, having been somewhat of a close minded Metal fan in my younger years, it gives such a rush that alot of other music doesn't seem to have. And also that the genre is heavily criticized and shit on, so it makes fans aggressive towards other music fans and musical styles. They grow up feeling like they have to defend their biggest source of joy and self expression to everyone, so there's this feeling of defensiveness and insecurity.

Listening to only Metal is... even as a super fan I couldn't do it, you need to calm the fuck down for a second and listen to something a little slower and softer.

It's so damn loud and generally not relaxing. I like some metal but I certainly understand why people don't like it. I dislike country more than metal though and that's not even close.

Like every other genre, albums are filled with filler songs. I really only like a handful of songs from each artist across all genres.

Back