Why don't you like Metal?

Like every other genre, albums are filled with filler songs. I really only like a handful of songs from each artist across all genres.

Silly generalisation really, I’d say there’s more filler on a typical pop album driven by one or two singles than a metal album.

I love metal but understand why people don’t, it’s too abrasive and over the top for most. I listen to a bit of other stuff, will get into anything with good guitar in it generally.

I've listened to more metal than any other genre over my life, but the genre feels very stagnant.

It's a been a long minute since I've heard a band bring something original and fresh while still being highly listenable.

That seems to be true for rock music in general.

I generally try not to care why people don't like the greatest form of music on earth. Makes sense to a certain degree, but I love it so much that I find it odd that people can completely dislike the entire genre.

What are your reasons for not liking it? Gimme something more than just "It sux" or "It just noise".

I love heavy metal but I think that the biggest reason that heavy metal isn't liked by some people is in most cases, it isn't beautiful music and it usually isn't happy music either. I think most people listen to music to hear something that sounds pretty and often something that sound happy as well. Melodic metal like Van Halen or Motley Crue was much happier than most heavy metal and more popular as well and I believe there's a direct correlation there. True sang about things people could identify with like Looks That Kill or Too Young To Fall In Love as opposed to songs by other bands like Number Of The Beast or Ride The Lightning. People usually listen to music to have a good time. Listening to a song about a guy sentenced to die in an electric chair is gross - it's not something most people care to hear or can identify with.

Judas Priest has some things that are pretty or beautiful like Dreamer Deceiver or Diamonds And Rust but for every one of those types of songs there are more songs like Painkiller, Freewheel Burning or Screaming For Vengeance that are fairly abrasive and noisy sounding to a non heavy metal fan. I love Priest but i can't say the vocals to Freewheel Burning sound pretty or even very musical.

Early Queensryche had a lot of beautiful songs but again it wasn't happy music and in a lot of cases I think it was too serious for people who usually listen to pop music or mainstream rock.

Heavy metal has more in common with classical music than other rock genres do because virtuosity's more highly valued in heavy metal than in other forms of rock. Most people are too ignorant to realize the ability required to play heavy metal played by bands with virtuosic guitarists and exceptional vocalists.

Last edited:
I generally don't like the whole aesthetic of a lot metal to begin with, that's just a personal thing and just not what I am in too. That carries through to a lot of the lyrics I have heard as well. Musically, it's hard to even rationalise - I just don't like the vast majority I have heard, I hate the really heavy vocals (I know it's not all like that) and I am not a fan of the guitar sounds whether it's really fast technical stuff, or slow 'grungy'/moody stuff. Like someone said above I find it to be quite abrasive.

In short, I just don't dig the 'vibe'. I first got into music by way of 60s stuff and generally I am more of a hippy/folky at the root of it - I like all sorts of stuff from various kinds of folk, blues, rock, soul, jazz, so-called world music (African especially, but also Indian), some electronic, country etc. Just not metal. Where I like 'aggressive' music I would stick to stuff like garage rock/blues and punk.

I generally try not to care why people don't like the greatest form of music on earth. Makes sense to a certain degree, but I love it so much that I find it odd that people can completely dislike the entire genre.

What are your reasons for not liking it? Gimme something more than just "It sux" or "It just noise".

Metal has evolved and branched out so much since it's inception. There are really many forms of metal. I have been a metal fan for a very long time.

Last edited:
any music where it is impossible to understand what the singer is saying. .
Understanding what the singer is saying is overrated. I listen to tons of music thats not even in english,so not knowing whats being said doesnt bother me as long as it is done with passion,and it sounds cool.

I've listened to more metal than any other genre over my life, but the genre feels very stagnant.

It's a been a long minute since I've heard a band bring something original and fresh while still being highly listenable.

Listen to Gojira.

Understanding what the singer is saying is overrated. I listen to tons of music thats not even in english,so not knowing whats being said doesnt bother me as long as it is done with passion,and it sounds cool.
To each his own.

I gravitate more towards songs I have empathy towards lyrically.

Usually it's the vocals that are off putting for me, especially death metal. That's speaking in a general sense, there are exceptions. I do appreciate the guitar work though.

This is true. The only original thing I’ve heard in the last 10 or 15 years would be Meshuggah id say. Before they I’d have to go back to Korn I’d reckon.

Edit: actually more like 20 years ha ha, I’m such an old cunt

Usually it's the vocals that are off putting for me, especially death metal. That's speaking in a general sense, there are exceptions. I do appreciate the guitar work though.
Give this song a listen. Devin Townsend is one hell of a musician. Has one of the most powerful voices in music, a truly extraordinary guitarist and writes some of the best metal I've ever heard.

You might have heard of Death if not then you have now. Chuck Schuldiner who formed Death is considered the godfather of Death Metal and the man who most people agree ended up creating the genre of Death Metal. Chuck was one of the most technically skilled guitarists on this planet and his songwriting skills were a notch above almost everyone in Death Metal and even Metal in general. His vocal work is good too and you can understand what he is saying. Another thing Chuck doesn't just write about gore and dying like a lot of Death Metal bands do, I'm talking to you Cannibal Corpse he wrote about a lot of political, social and philosophical topics. When the band first released their debut album Scream Bloody Gore in 1987 that style of music was unheard of. I mean sure you had Slayer, Possessed, Venom and a few other bands release material already that was pretty damn fast and heavy but nothing like what Death sounded like

The first song Infernal Death from their debut from 1987

The last original song from their final album The Sound Of Perseverance from 1998

You can clearly see the major progression in their playing style. Also Chuck's vocals also changed a bit. Sadly the greatest guitarist in my opinion died on December 13, 2001 of brain cancer. One of the biggest losses in metal by far.

Letthemetalflow.jpg

Give this song a listen. Devin Townsend is one hell of a musician. Has one of the most powerful voices in music, a truly extraordinary guitarist and writes some of the best metal I've ever heard.

You might have heard of Death if not then you have now. Chuck Schuldiner who formed Death is considered the godfather of Death Metal and the man who most people agree ended up creating the genre of Death Metal. Chuck was one of the most technically skilled guitarists on this planet and his songwriting skills were a notch above almost everyone in Death Metal and even Metal in general. His vocal work is good too and you can understand what he is saying. Another thing Chuck doesn't just write about gore and dying like a lot of Death Metal bands do, I'm talking to you Cannibal Corpse he wrote about a lot of political, social and philosophical topics. When the band first released their debut album Scream Bloody Gore in 1987 that style of music was unheard of. I mean sure you had Slayer, Possessed, Venom and a few other bands release material already that was pretty damn fast and heavy but nothing like what Death sounded like

The first song Infernal Death from their debut from 1987

The last original song from their final album The Sound Of Perseverance from 1998

You can clearly see the major progression in their playing style. Also Chuck's vocals also changed a bit. Sadly the greatest guitarist in my opinion died on December 13, 2001 of brain cancer. One of the biggest losses in metal by far.

Letthemetalflow.jpg

yes-awesome-oldschool.gif

I like some stuff here and there, but for the most part I find it a bit try hard, to a cheesy degree.

I also find metal fans to be some of the more closed minded fans of any medium. It's all metal, all the time, and everything else is shit. It's like a person who only ever watches horror movies, and then trying to explain to them why some drama is a really good movie.

"Shit's gay. Where's the gore, and the titties?"

That's akin to the kind of conversations I've had with pure metalheads, about other genres of music.

"Pink Floyd? They suck! Put on Slayer or Cannibal Corpse!!!"

I like metal, but I agree with this so much. A certain band's Facebook group was hating on Pink Floyd recently. Couldn't believe it, those swine.

I like a lot of older metal like Black Sabbath but most modern metal is boring as shit to me, the popular production techniques are far to sterile and cold, the riffs are generic and boring, the lyrics are stupid, and as a genre it seems to attract some of the least talented douche bags available to be vocalists. If there has been a metal album worth listening to released in the last 5 years then please some one send it to me because I haven't heard it.

Norwegian folk metal >

Drunken sailor lyrics not too much screaming

I love everything from Death to Katatonia. Metal has so many different things going on you can find something for whatever mood you're in.

i liked it a lot more when i was younger.

a lot of it is barely music honestly. its a lot of focus onbeing fast and little on melody.

Back