Why Haven't Video Game Prices Gone Up

Do you game or are you dense too? You have to purchase the new maps when they release or you cant play anything. It is impossible to find a game in COD if you dont get the maps.

That is not true. I play the new COD and aint bought no DLC for it. You talking like you can play it at all. There is a single player mode and lan line mode and online mode. They dont stop you from playing the old maps at all. I can jump on right now and play TDM without being forced to buy a DLC.

DLC, micro-transactions, splitting the game into 4 parts pricing at $60 each, yeah they found a new way to capitalize.

Because nerds don't have any money.
1453836994468.jpg

every nerd in this pic has over 100 mil. Several are billionaires.

More accurate prices here. The OP picture was after the SNES was heavily discounted.

2744108-3587520915-DCP_0.jpg

Seem like they been the same for 20yrs but almost everything else has gone up. New Game avg a price is 50-60 and that is what they been since SNES.

d52f6ee90da652f3209d73c9ba20d7e2.jpg

Is there a reason for this.
they have it's called DLC and microtransactions

You pay for incomplete games now whereas you paid for a complete game back then.

Seem like they been the same for 20yrs but almost everything else has gone up. New Game avg a price is 50-60 and that is what they been since SNES.

Is there a reason for this.

1) More people are buying games , I believe videogame industry is bigger than movie industry
2) DLC and microtransactions

What are you talking about.. in the 90'$ games were around 40-50$ for a new release...

Damn games for my kids now days are like $60 and that's not including the other$100 they spend on patches and shit..

Games are an easy $150 now days..

Fucking noob..

Wrong. In the 90's is when the price boosted from the 30-40 dollar range to the 50-60 dollar range and has pretty much remained constant ever since.

I have never in my life payed 150 dollars for a game. Patches do not cost anything.

https://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/do-games-cost-too-much/
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013...e-games-have-never-been-cheaper-historically/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/15/the-real-cost-of-gaming-inflation-time-and-purchasing-power

Average-price-for-new-games-carts.png

gameprices-unadjusted2.png

because they fucking suck. other than black ops 1 on ps1 or sf 5 on ps4 i dont play shiet

hey TS, did you take into account inflation when comparing the game prices from over 30 years ago and now?

they have it's called DLC and microtransactions
I'm still salty about what they did with the last Hitman game. Split that thing up like cheese slices and charged full price each installment.

Then Lootcrates in every game now. lol. AAA gaming is turning into tablet/mobile games.

Even little crap games on android will try and charge a 100 dollars for some gold

I used to pay $60 for games like you, but then I took a Paradox to the wallet.

<2>

DLC, microtransactions, and loot boxes are another source of revenue, on top of a much larger customer base than what existed in the past, and cheaper production with disks and digital distribution, but another aspect is the developers receive government subsidies that reduce cost even more. There's a lot of reasons games haven't jumped in price, and it's not because they chose to make less money

Same that game was free and now it’s 20 bucks. If people spend over that it is their own fault . Games have stayed around the same , 60 bucks since Snes. I have only spent more on one game, horizon zero dawn because I bought a 20 buck expansion.. most games enough is included in the 60 bucks
The game wasn't free, it was free with a PS+ subscription for a single month and you have to have the subscription to continue playing it. I love the game, and I was happy to throw money at them for content, but their new system cuts off a lot of content for money and forces you to spin a wheel at the cost of real money for a chance at something you want. Plus they have timed events that pressure players to spend more on their wheel spins for a chance to win something that's about to disappear.

That produces an incentive for developers to hold back content so they can charge for it later. It's guaranteeing that games will never be finished on release now and it will cost more than the base price.

Except this is completely false and only true in a very small # of cases compared to the amount of games released.
Bull, every major game is release with different versions and day one DLC with season passes now. There are Indie games, but they can't afford to bank on DLC and are just trying to cast a wider net.
Nope emulators don't come out until long after the system is done. I think the WiiU emulator is the quickest I've seen it done and actually work well.
That's not true. The 3DS has had an emulator called Citra that actually upscales the games to a higher resolution. They recently started developing emulation for the Switch with Citra as the base as well.

Bull, every major game is release with different versions and day one DLC with season passes now. There are Indie games, but they can't afford to bank on DLC and are just trying to cast a wider net.

That's not true. The 3DS has had an emulator called Citra that actually upscales the games to a higher resolution. They recently started developing emulation for the Switch with Citra as the base as well.

Yes and almost none of those games released with DLC or season passes are released as half of a game or 5/8ths of a game. They are full games that the delvopers later add on to it.

Horizon Zero Dawn. I played a full 30+ hours of it and got the the full main story, they later released DLC guess what I still got a full game and if I want to hop back in to that world I can purchase the DLC. It is no required in order to get the full experience. Same with Pillars of Eternity, Zelda BOTW, I could go on and on. The Witcher 3 had DLC but the full game was still released and it was a full game. There seems to be this knee jerk reaction to any DLC. DLC is not the problem it's companies that abuse it that are the problem.

Well the 3DS has been out for like 7 years now and even then just a quick google shows the emulator still needs some work as popular games still don't work on it. That to me is still an emulator that needs work done. When I think of fully functional emulators I think of the SNES ones and even the PSX emulator is great.

Back