Why I hate Conor...and why I hope he wins...

DWAYNEAMERICA

Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
Even though he won't.

I have never been a fan of the "raining money" shit-talkers of combat sports. As a former boxing fan I preferred the intense, quiet savageness of Iron Mike Tyson, during his rise, to the expletive spewing Don King hype-bot that he became later on. As an MMA fan I preferred the class and confidence of GSP to the "Til the death" likes of BJ Penn.

Trying to get emotionally behind either of these fighters has been a challenge. They are both crass, shallow and foul. There is no clear "hero" or "better man" in this scenario. They're both guys who come from little and therefore put bling and bank balances above all else. Driving the most expensive cars, throwing the most money at the stripper, wearing the most outlandish overpriced clothes...that's what they're about. Both of them are an inch deep and a mile wide.

So who to root for between these two bonafide douchebags? To make that decision I go to the tale of the "real life" tape. Through his philanthropic endeavours and political statements, Conor has shown to be a progressive. He, without a doubt, supports the rights of the LGBTQ community and is a voice for the disenfranchised and the poor in his home country. What has Floyd ever done to demonstrate that he gives, even a passing fuck about anyone but himself or his kids?

Now you might be saying "Who cares? I only care about fighting!"...goof for you. Fuck off. This discussion isn't for you. Go get your mom to wash your "TAP OUT" t-shirt and stfu. You're a drooling halfwit. But for some of us, character matters. If you beat your wife, it matters. If you do something good with your fame, it matters.

When all is said and done, Conor McGregor is the better man. Lets hope for the greatest upset in the history of athletic competition.

Last edited:
Even though he won't.

I have never been a fan of the "raining money" shit-talkers of combat sports. As a former boxing fan I preferred the intense, quiet savageness of Iron Mike Tyson, during his rise, to the expletive spewing Don King hype-bot that he became later on. As an MMA fan I preferred the class and confidence of GSP to the "Til the death" likes of BJ Penn.

Trying to get emotionally behind either of these fighters has been a challenge. They are both crass, shallow and foul. There is no clear "hero" or "better man" in this scenario. They're both guys who come from little and therefore put bling and bank balances above all else. Driving the most expensive cars, throwing the most money at the stripper, wearing the most outlandish overpriced clothes...that's what they're about. Both of them are an inch deep and a mile wide.

So who to root for between these two bonafide douchebags? To make that decision I go to the tale of the "real life" tape. Through his philanthropic endeavours and political statements, Conor has shown to be a progressive. He, without a doubt, supports the rights of the LGBTQ community and is a voice for the disenfranchised and the poor in his home country. What has Floyd ever done to demonstrate that he gives, even a passing fuck about anyone but himself or his kids?

Now you might be saying "Who cares? I only care about fighting!"...goof for you. Fuck off. This discussion isn't for you. Go get your mom to wash your "TAP OUT" t-shirt and stfu. You're a drooling halfwit. But for some of us, character matters. If you beat your wife, it matters. If you do something good with your fame, it matters.

When all is said and done, Conor McGregor is the better man. Lets hope for the greatest upset in the history of athletic competition.
I don't disagree with much of your post, but I feel you are missing Conor's true character, maybe you haven't seen enough of him when he's not in PR mode, but I think it's very clear that Conor is a good guy.

I don't disagree with much of your post, but I feel you are missing Conor's true character, maybe you haven't seen enough of him when he's not in PR mode, but I think it's very clear that Conor is a good guy.

Conor's "persona" is no better than Floyd's. He plays a media clickbait douchebag and it works for him.

As I stated in my post...in real life, I have little doubt that Conor is a good guy.

That won't help him on in the ring.

Tyson? Quiet?

Like i said...Mike Tyson under Cus D'amato was very quiet and focused. Almost like a Fedor in sense. It wasn't until Don King got his claws into him that he was used as a fight hype tool.

Like i said...Mike Tyson under Cus D'amato was very quiet and focused. Almost like a Fedor in sense. It wasn't until Don King got his claws into him that he was used as a fight hype tool.

I liked sans Zoloft 'I want to eat your children' version of Mike.

Why, because he speaks in a funny accent and silly soundbites?

Even though he won't.

Well written and thought out post and i agree mostly with what you are saying.

But i think conor is a much better person than he makes out. I think behind all the hype he is a good man, he has just worked out by being loud and brash that is what sells fights and ultimately makes him money. Underneath he is a good guy.

Alot of people act differently for work, i am a salesman and act alot differently at work than at home because i worked out what makes me the most money and then use that to my advantage.

I think conor is a decent person who knows how to put on a show. I think his flashyness is built on the insecurity of having literally nothing 5 years ago.

Where as Floyd is a wife beating Narcissist and a piece of shit.

Hilarious the way you call him 'a progressive' God bless your politically fecked up mind.

I've never really minded Mayweather and the whole money thing - the promo videos where he's counting his money is a bit naff, but I say fair play to him for making whatever he made.

People in America live in a bubble like other countries when it comes to well known people there and the more famous you become, the more people write and make assumptions about you. Everyone runs to the media and tells them about an encounter or meeting they had with him or any one with his level of success and fame. He seems a bit sensitive to the criticism thrown his way and casually threw out that because he's black and cocky people hate him for it.

I think a lot of Americans are warped with the shite about America being the land of opportunity, freedom, liberty, justice, etc - especially if you're a politically minded person - when it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I sort of laugh when black sportsmen say that 'racism still exists' Not laughing at the fact it does exist, but that it's almost like they're sending some powerful social message the rest of the populace is unaware of. There's racists everywhere on the planet and that's just the sad fact. His MO is to get people to dislike him by being cocky and arrogant and hope they buy his PPVs to see him get beaten. It's nothing new in combat sports, as much as he likes to say he made the blueprint on how to sell PPVs.

That goes back to Conor and Rousey when he talked about how they were white and fans loved them - he obviously doesn't pay close attention on that one. I don't find anything particularly witty about Mayweather when it comes to promotion; he had like props on the tour for this fight with his DJ and having his daughter stand beside him looking through her phone when Conor got up to speak.

A lot of famous folk keep quiet about their charitable donations - who knows if he does or doesn't donate to charities? The "media" aren't going to dig around looking for proof of that.

That's BS man. His PR mode isn't an act; I mean, to a degree it is. But it is who he is. A self-centered over emotional guy, quick to talk shit and nit-pick you and try to get under people's skin in a really contentious way. That is who he is.

Even though he won't.

What the HELL is happening to Sherdog??? Since when did gay sex become a humanitarian issue??? What a :eek::eek::eek:!

Most celebrities are selfish but make a huge show of themselves if they ever decide to be charitable, kinda a "look at me!" mentality.

Floyd is the opposite. He acts like an asshole, and behind closed doors pays out large sums of money for charitable causes and actually hides it. When these things come out about Floyd it's usually through a 3rd party, somebody involved mentioning it in a random interview or something.

In a way, that is much more respectable than the "look at me!" outspoken charitable celebrities.

Back