Why is 28 Days later so special?

Social Distance Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First off, I'm a big time horror film fan, probably the biggest in this forum. .

And a zombie film fanatic as well...

Personally I believe the original Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time, (Train to Busan is also one of the greatest , especially if youre korean, youll get the social commentary, god damn what a beautiful film )especially with its dark filming , allegories and symbolism..

That being said, I encounter so many people who claim 28 days later to be the greatest zombie film of all time (let's set aside the debate of whether they were true zombies ).

When I first watched this film I was incredibly underwhelmed ...

I thought I missed something ...so I watched it again. ( and of course, I watch all horror films at night ). Again, I wasn't wowed like so many .

It's similar to Spider-Man 2, so many consider this to be one of the greatest comic book films ever...i disagree.

Tell me what I'm missing, why do you consider 28 days later to be one of the best of its genre .

All opinions welcome.

Last edited:
I thought it was good for about an hour and then kind of went to shit after that, like every Danny Boyle film I've seen.

The Beyond is prob my favourite ever zombie flick

First off, I'm a big time horror film fan, probably the biggest in this forum. .

And a zombie film fanatic as well...

Personally I believe the original Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time, especially with its dark filming , allegories and symbolism..

That being said, I encounter so many people who claim 28 days later to be the greatest zombie film of all time (let's set aside the debate of whether they were true zombies ).

When I first watched this film I was incredibly underwhelmed ...

I thought I missed something ...so I watched it again. ( and of course, I watch all horror films at night ). Again, I wasn't wowed like so many .

It's similar to Spider-Man 2, so many consider this to be one of the greatest comic book films ever...i disagree.

Tell me what I'm missing, why do you consider 28 days later to be one of the best of its genre .

All opinions welcome.

When the movie came out, my stepdad and I (both big horror fans) went to see it in theaters and to this day, it's the only movie I've ever walked out of. That shit is just bad.

Shaun of the Dead or Train to Busan are my two favorite zombie films. Train to Busan was fantastic and if you haven't seen it you need to.

28 Days later was good in my opinion, but nothing about it makes it better than the top tier zombie flicks out there.

Last edited:
I didn't get the hype when I saw it in theaters. Still don't. I suppose the concept was somewhat original at the time, in making the "zombies" just plague ridden humans, which allowed them to break established rules of the genre. But yeah, overall I never saw what the big deal was with it.

Personally, I think "28 Weeks Later" is much, MUCH better.

I want to stop reading after this sentences.. But as a fellow horror buff, I want to contribute to the thread so I will continue after this post.

Didn't like the movie much myself. AS far as where it ranks on my zombie movie list, its not even CLOSE to the top.

1. Night of the Living Dead
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Night of the Living Dead remake
4. Everything else

I liked almost all of the "Living Dead" movies because I am a sucker for zombies, but 28 Days Later wasn't great at all.

It captured the desolation of a wiped out population in a post-apocalypse film better than most movies in that genre. It really felt like there was no one left. It also had a realism and seriousness about it instead of being campy, that made it more impactful when a character you were following would get infected and turn.

I don't know if it's my favorite zombie flick, but it's great. The recent Train To Busan was also awesome.

It captured the desolation of a wiped out population in a post-apocalypse film better than most movies in that genre. It really felt like there was no one left. It also had a realism and seriousness about it instead of being campy, that made it more impactful when a character you were following would get infected and turn.

I don't know if it's my favorite zombie flick, but it's great. The recent Train To Busan was also awesome.

Actually, I need to amend my op.

Train to Busan is my new favorite

Phenomenal film. Best character development of any zombie film I have seen .

I didn't get the hype when I saw it in theaters. Still don't. I suppose the concept was somewhat original at the time, in making the "zombies" just plague ridden humans, which allowed them to break established rules of the genre. But yeah, overall I never saw what the big deal was with it.

Funny you mention that too....

The first 20 minutes of that film is probably one of the best openings of any horror film

And just between you and me, and everyone in this thread , I cried at the end.

Yea , fuck you guys for judging me.

Here I thought I was the only one from what I've read online. Found 28 days later to be quite boring. 28 Weeks later starts out so fast. First time I watched it I had randomly turned on HBO during the opening scene which I had thought was the climax based on the intensity of it. Much better/faster pacing.

Shawn of the Dead is still GOAT for me.

glad people liked train to busan was a great movie also there were actually parts of that film that kept me on the edge of my seat.

I can't remember much of the plot of 28 days later, so that's saying a little of how good I think the film is.

My opinion on why it is so "good" to some/most people.
In the 90s, most zombies films are cheesy horror, B grade if you will.

28 days later had a really slow burn and ambience at the beginning of the film to build up the suspense and creep for audiences. Some horror buffs love these, compared to jump scares and tend to rate this films higher automatically.

I honestly can't remember much past the first act to comment more.

It did "revived" the zombie genre though, actually exploded the genre into mainstream. From the remakes Dawn of The Dead plus sequels, Rec franchise, Shaun of the Dead and all throughout 2000s.

Actually, I need to amend my op.

Train to Busan is my new favorite

Phenomenal film. Best character development of any zombie film I have seen .
I think its one of the greatest zombie films and horror films out there. It was absolutely amazing. Definitely one of my favorites films.

glad people liked train to busan was a great movie also there were actually parts of that film that kept me on the edge of my seat.

It was such an intense film....from start to finish. (Well, after the first 20 minutes) .

Once the train starts, the film is riveting

Although I'm also gonna take @Zer 's recommendation & check out The Beyond

The Beyond is kinda dated nowadays. It has some really bad SFX (Some good stuff as well), some terrible acting, doesn't always make sense but I forgive all that stuff when it's Italian horror

The first 20 minutes of that film is probably one of the best openings of any horror film

Yeah the beginning of 28 Weeks Later is great, although it falls off hard after that in my opinion.

Speaking of which, the opening 10 minutes of the Dawn Of The Dead remake is arguably the best 10 minutes of any zombie movie, ever. If it had actually maintained that level of quality throughout the rest of the film it would be the GOAT.

Back