Why is 28 Days later so special?

Train to Busan is definitely a great additional to the zombie genre. I love the film but didn't particularly like the main actor performance though, I mentioned this same thing in the thread dedicated to the film. I found his expressionless face too annoying, like he is trying to act cool all the time. Only JUST to build up the impact when he broke down in tears in the washroom.

The Macho guy, his wife, the young actresses and the "big shot" that tried to sabotages everything, were all great.

EDIT:
It's one of the few films that really put us on the edge of the seats from beginning to end.

The Beyond is kinda dated nowadays. It has some really bad SFX (Some good stuff as well), some terrible acting, doesn't always make sense but I forgive all that stuff when it's Italian horror

Don't worry, I won't hold you to it. Worst case scenario, I'm looking at Italian broads for an hour and a half.

First off, I'm a big time horror film fan, probably the biggest in this forum. .

And a zombie film fanatic as well...

Personally I believe the original Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time, (Train to Busan is also one of the greatest , especially if youre korean, youll get the social commentary, god damn what a beautiful film )especially with its dark filming , allegories and symbolism..

That being said, I encounter so many people who claim 28 days later to be the greatest zombie film of all time (let's set aside the debate of whether they were true zombies ).

When I first watched this film I was incredibly underwhelmed ...

I thought I missed something ...so I watched it again. ( and of course, I watch all horror films at night ). Again, I wasn't wowed like so many .

It's similar to Spider-Man 2, so many consider this to be one of the greatest comic book films ever...i disagree.

Tell me what I'm missing, why do you consider 28 days later to be one of the best of its genre .

All opinions welcome.

I'm more offended you think Spiderman 2 is overrated..........

Anyway, I think the thing with 28 days later is that it breathed new life into the zombie genre, and was something slightly original/unique.

As I recall, it changed the portrayal of zombies from lumbering oafs into something more relatable, realistic and terrifying, in the terrifying form of them being able to run at you full pelt - they basically had the physical capabilities of humans - could run fast, agile etc - but had a brain eating bloodlust, and therefore were a scarier, bigger threat than classic zombies.

It was revelatory, I guess

I wouldn’t call it the greatest, but I’m not a horror buff. Or any kind of film expert, to be honest. I did enjoy the unique approach to the “zombies”. Some may be offput at the deviation from traditional zombie lore, but I liked the plague approach, and I can appreciate that the virus itself was a creation of man. The added danger of them being fast and hyper aggressive was something that had only really been done on the remake of DotD, and it changes the dynamic entirely, for better or worse. The feeling of hopelessness and danger is magnified by this addition. A pack of these things means your death. They are fast, strong, and relentless. There is no bold hero chopping his way through a herd of these bastards, and I can appreciate that deviation and the added tension it brings.

It's one of the most intense films ever for the first 2/3rds of the movie. It also completely changed the zombie genre by dropping the undead thing and making it more realistic.

Not sure why Danny Boyle can't make a 3rd act.

Train to Busan is definitely a great additional to the zombie genre. I love the film but didn't particularly like the main actor performance though, I mentioned this same thing in the thread dedicated to the film. I found his expressionless face too annoying, like he is trying to act cool all the time. Only JUST to build up the impact when he broke down in tears in the washroom.

The Macho guy, his wife, the young actresses and the "big shot" that tried to sabotages everything, were all great.

EDIT:
It's one of the few films that really put us on the edge of the seats from beginning to end.

I thought the two old ladies (the sisters) were really great as well...especially what one of them does at the end.

The big macho guy was my fave....

All of his scenes displayed incredible acting ...and empathy , with feeling.

28 weeks later is better IMO and one of my favorite horror movies. Didn’t care much for the 1st.

Don't worry, I won't hold you to it. Worst case scenario, I'm looking at Italian broads for an hour and a half.

It's Lucio Fulci. He's pretty renowned in the hardcore horror community. His movies aren't the most....ummm...coherent though. He's mostly known for the effects work in his films, which never disappoint. One of the godfathers of gore, for sure.

"The Beyond" is widely considered his magnum opus.

He's also the man behind this brilliant scene:

I'm Chinese. Korean are.. "yellow" too.

No such thing as racist when we are the same color. <{1-8}>

Lee Kwan Yew is disapoint man!!!

You are all Malay Malay to him!

If you don't like it, you don't like it. No shame in that. Not everything works for everyone. I love horror and 28 Days Later is one of the better horror movies imo. In contrast, I think Romeros Dawn of the Dead is easily one of the most overrated movies of all time. Aside from the admittedly brilliant zombies/mall theme it's a forgettable movie and actually had a pie fight.

And just between you and me, and everyone in this thread , I cried at the end.

Yea , fuck you guys for judging me.

No judgement here. I cry at great movies, TV shows, music etc., all the time, if it is done really well.

And not in a wimpy or gay way, I cry like a really tough Italian guy might cry at the opera or something.

Or the way Clint Eastwood might cry, like standing in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or some shit. One solitary tear, running down my stoic face. Nothing gay about it at all.

Hey btw, wanna fuck

I remember watching it and I enjoyed it. I would put it in the top 5 for me. I think in 1985 the movie...Demons...came out. About a group of people trapped inside a movie theater. Looking back...you could say they were infected with the rage virus vs actually becoming demons. Well...I love that one!

Yeah, Sandra Bullock was awesome.

Shaun of the Dead or Train to Busan are my two favorite zombie films. Train to Busan was fantastic and if you haven't seen it you need to.

28 Days later was good in my opinion, but nothing about it makes it better than the top tier zombie flicks out there.
I think a lot of zombie noobs were overly impressed with the fast rage zombies.

I liked them, but not enough to blind me to the flawed final act of the movie.

It did "revived" the zombie genre though, actually exploded the genre into mainstream. From the remakes Dawn of The Dead plus sequels, Rec franchise, Shaun of the Dead and all throughout 2000s.

It wasn't solely responsible for the zombie revival.
Cabin Fever (another film about deadly infections) and Resident Evil came out the same year as 28 Days Later.

Back