Why is 28 Days later so special?

Two words: fast zombies

I don’t think that had ever been done before.

I thought it was good for about an hour and then kind of went to shit after that, like every Danny Boyle film I've seen.

The Beyond is prob my favourite ever zombie flick

I don't know how long it took to get to the (unfortunately) actual plot, but yeah.... that's when the movie died. I can't even bring myself to watch it again. It was absolutely beautiful, and then the stupid rape compound or whatever the fuck. Jesus.

Then you take a movie like Hell, which is really well done. But in Hell, the shitty human aspect is the whole movie. That's the whole point.

28 days later is a bait and switch, and the switch is a depressing groaner. Ugh. Yeah let's be all creative and develop characters as a patchwork family, then get writer's block and steer back into the same old shit.

This movie pissed me off more than any other for a looonnnnngggg time.

I thought it was good for about an hour and then kind of went to shit after that, like every Danny Boyle film I've seen.

The Beyond is prob my favourite ever zombie flick
The Beyond
<{jackyeah}>
Hail fulci

First off, I'm a big time horror film fan, probably the biggest in this forum. .

And a zombie film fanatic as well...

Personally I believe the original Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time, (Train to Busan is also one of the greatest , especially if youre korean, youll get the social commentary, god damn what a beautiful film )especially with its dark filming , allegories and symbolism..

That being said, I encounter so many people who claim 28 days later to be the greatest zombie film of all time (let's set aside the debate of whether they were true zombies ).

When I first watched this film I was incredibly underwhelmed ...

I thought I missed something ...so I watched it again. ( and of course, I watch all horror films at night ). Again, I wasn't wowed like so many .

It's similar to Spider-Man 2, so many consider this to be one of the greatest comic book films ever...i disagree.

Tell me what I'm missing, why do you consider 28 days later to be one of the best of its genre .

All opinions welcome.

i would say for the following reasons.

1. it provides a plausible scenario for the infection with the concept of bioengineering and shit.

2. the opening scene of desolation in london with 'godspeed you black emperor' soundtrack.

3. it has some tense and lighter moments.

4. it has some good action/suspense scenes, particularly when the main character escapes from his execution and later when he drops down from the rafters and gouges the soldiers eyes.

but, it is also very slow at times, the middle of it is pretty boring and some of the plot is asinine

it is absolutely aids

28 weeks later was alot better all around imo

It’s very tense and well done, throws a few unexpected deaths at you and the story really takes some interesting turns towards the end. Also the “zombies” are pretty terrifying and the score of the film is quite good too.

Shaun of the Dead or Train to Busan are my two favorite zombie films. Train to Busan was fantastic and if you haven't seen it you need to.

28 Days later was good in my opinion, but nothing about it makes it better than the top tier zombie flicks out there.

Shaun of the dead was corny.

The Beyond is kinda dated nowadays. It has some really bad SFX (Some good stuff as well), some terrible acting, doesn't always make sense but I forgive all that stuff when it's Italian horror
<mma3><{cruzshake}>

I don't know how long it took to get to the (unfortunately) actual plot, but yeah.... that's when the movie died. I can't even bring myself to watch it again. It was absolutely beautiful, and then the stupid rape compound or whatever the fuck. Jesus.

Then you take a movie like Hell, which is really well done. But in Hell, the shitty human aspect is the whole movie. That's the whole point.

28 days later is a bait and switch, and the switch is a depressing groaner. Ugh. Yeah let's be all creative and develop characters as a patchwork family, then get writer's block and steer back into the same old shit.

This movie pissed me off more than any other for a looonnnnngggg time.

you can argue though that is starts off with a small group. and in such a scenario the fight is against nature, but once the group becomes bigger there is more defense against nature but more danger in the human.

Yeah the beginning of 28 Weeks Later is great, although it falls off hard after that in my opinion.

Speaking of which, the opening 10 minutes of the Dawn Of The Dead remake is arguably the best 10 minutes of any zombie movie, ever. If it had actually maintained that level of quality throughout the rest of the film it would be the GOAT.

28 weeks later has a really great escape sequence once all hell breaks lose.

from the infecteds fucking everyone up, to the snipers shooting civilians, to the firebombing, the helicopter slicing zombies scene, to the car chase with helicopter, to the chemical attack, to the flamethrower dudes, to the underground subway scene. pretty intense shit.

It's Lucio Fulci. He's pretty renowned in the hardcore horror community. His movies aren't the most....ummm...coherent though. He's mostly known for the effects work in his films, which never disappoint. One of the godfathers of gore, for sure.

"The Beyond" is widely considered his magnum opus.

He's also the man behind this brilliant scene:

what film is that from? cause i seem to remember seeing it years ago.

I think the opening concept felt original—waking up in the hospital a month after the apocalypse took hold. The walk through an empty London was pretty magnificent.

The fast moving, highly aggressive “zombies” were a new take.

Overall I think it had some innovative qualities that made it feel fresh at the time.

It was actually a great time for zombie movies because you had these all coming out around the same time:

Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later

I rank them in that order. I agree that it’s not the GOAT level zombie movie many claim it to be.

First off, I'm a big time horror film fan, probably the biggest in this forum. .

And a zombie film fanatic as well...

Personally I believe the original Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time, (Train to Busan is also one of the greatest , especially if youre korean, youll get the social commentary, god damn what a beautiful film )especially with its dark filming , allegories and symbolism..

That being said, I encounter so many people who claim 28 days later to be the greatest zombie film of all time (let's set aside the debate of whether they were true zombies ).

When I first watched this film I was incredibly underwhelmed ...

I thought I missed something ...so I watched it again. ( and of course, I watch all horror films at night ). Again, I wasn't wowed like so many .

It's similar to Spider-Man 2, so many consider this to be one of the greatest comic book films ever...i disagree.

Tell me what I'm missing, why do you consider 28 days later to be one of the best of its genre .

All opinions welcome.

Dead Alive was way better.

Not my all time favorites or anything, but enjoyed both 28 movies...I'll definitely be checking out Train to Busan now...

Love 28 Days later, @Peteyandjia summed it up nicely. So I'll just add my faves:
28 Days/Weeks later
Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead (both)
Land of the Dead
Zombieland
Return of the Living Dead
Dead Snow
Cooties
Slither
Planet Terror
Dead Alive
Pontypool
Not putting that list in any order and I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten.

I see it as one of the most well grounded zombie flicks out there. It's not played as if some supernatural event is happening/happened. They play it as a virus and put people in very believable situations (obviously for a movie of this calibre) as they die. When you expect someone to die, they do. When they are put in an unescapable scenario, its unescapable. That movie made you accept your favorite character's (and watch them slowly die) death even though you didn't want them to go. Like the rest of the survivors had to do. There is barely any hope, and I couldn't figure out what type of ending this movie would have until it ended. With horrors, after watching the first 30 minutes, you can pretty much guess if the movie will end on a happy ending or grim. This movie had me watching moment-to-moment, unable to guess any outcome. Still a horror movie with obvious horror tropes, but still somehow felt more realistic than other survival horrors.

Back