Why is Burns so dead set on fighting at UFC 288?

I think it would be tough to fight a good opponent asap. Jones is smart

My guess...

He just paid his taxes and his bank account is little lighter then it should be. Maybe he trying to plan a family vacation. Or maybe he sees this as an opportunity to good in front of his bosses
It's probably something like this yes.
Maybe he just took a phone call from his tax accountant and found out how big chunk of money he is about to pay to the I.R.S. for the past 12months so.... wants to hurry up and make some more whilst he is Flavor of the Month and on a bit of a roll.

Pretty sure 289 needs a co-main too.
True, but the UFC has more time to put that together, whereas they are really going to have to scramble to put one together for 288. And maybe Gilbert thinks that there’s more desperation for May than for June.

Anyone have an idea why Burns seems to be so dead set on fighting on UFC 288 as opposed to a later date where he could fight Belal at WW as a number 1 contender fight?

Burns has said he isn't willing to do a catch weight fight with Belal at 288 and has even suggested fighting Dustin at WW instead. I don't get it, the Dustin fight makes less sense than a catch weight fight with Belal at 288 and way less sense than a WW fight with Belal at like UFC 289 instead.

Anyone have an idea why he wants to fight at UFC 288 so badly?
He owes money

True, but the UFC has more time to put that together, whereas they are really going to have to scramble to put one together for 288. And maybe Gilbert thinks that there’s more desperation for May than for June.
Maybe it just seems like unless he's fighting a big name WW it seems like fighting Belal would be a quicker path to the title shot.

money, still in shape, no damage taken, why the fook not

He knows his prime is running out and he has a big family to feed, so he's just trying to get as many fights in as possible while he can still perform at a high level. I don't think he's trying to revolve his life around Belal muhammad.

UFC 288 is about 17 days away on May 6th and still has 12 fights after losing the comain
UFC 289 is on June 10th, just a month later, and is being headlined by fucking Nunes- Pena 3 for some reason, and only has 11 fights attached to it.

If Leon isn't going again until Oct, seems like waiting til June wouldn't kill your career or break the bank

Maybe he'd rather fight in New Jersey than Vancouver
I'm from NJ. Cannot confirm

Last edited:
Hmm... maybe because he barely took any damage in his last fight and wants to get another paycheck?

Money and knocking off contenders quickly. Leon isnt fighting until october so might as well get on with fighting.
Win bonus and good break to get in line for Leon or a contender fight when Leon defends. Plus can say he offered to fight all comers so not a duck, though many construe as a sneaky duck. F’em weight bullies can take a hike . Gilbert is a a real WW not a massive weight cutter.

Burns can get co-main on the 288 card with the right opponent.

Pretty sure 289 needs a co-main too.

Better exposure/PPV potential on the 288 card, compared to 289 which is headlined by a WMMA fight.

Back