Why is Butterbean never mentioned in MMA vs Boxing talks?

Because due to his shape and unathleticism on the ground, he's too much of an outlier to be included in any serious discussion about Boxing vs. MMA?

Basically, in spite of all his stand-up ability, as soon as he goes on the ground for any reason, he's too round and unathletic to get too his feet or intelligently defend himself without getting finished, so he's not indicative of how any other boxer would fare in a MMA fight.

He's too unique to be included in any conversation of this type except a "Butterbean vs....?" discussion.

Totally serious question here.

Butterbean started as a Boxer in the early 90's and made his MMA debut in 2003, he has 90+ professional boxing fights, and almost 30 professional MMA fights, however, when we talk about MMA vs Boxing the only fights that come up are Couture vs Toney and Silvya vs Mercer...

Not only has Butterbean fought more MMA fights, but he also has more wins via submission than TKO o KO. I think he makes for a more interesting case when debating between MMA and Boxing, what do you guys think?

What is the case that you'd make with his career?

People don't want actual debates. They want to talk about high level fighters failing in other sports and use that to troll the other fanbase.

Didn't he do those toughman competitions? Where average Joes who were bouncers and firefighters and stuff like that could get in the ring and see how tough they really were. I wish they still did that.

Let me guess you think you could take on Tyson because you were in a jiu jitsu class one day for 30 minutes.
“You’re not going to go in there with just your hand and not have a great ground game. You also need a great wrestling game to be successful ... You have to have both games. You have to know how to wrestle and box. That’s just the truth.”

-Mike Tyson

Some boxers will see the truth...most won't however

Get in a boxing ring with someone who knows what they're doing and tell me if you feel like you've been in a real fight.
“You’re not going to go in there with just your hand and not have a great ground game. You also need a great wrestling game to be successful ... You have to have both games. You have to know how to wrestle and box. That’s just the truth.”

-Mike Tyson

Some boxers will see the truth...most won't however

He's ridiculous, but still...always wanted to see a Butterbean vs Tank Abbott fight

they tried to make that fight like 10 years ago in alabama but did the bait and switch with the main event

It says so, at the beginning
What fight would u use? He literally has like one win against anyone who could be considered a real mma fighter and Thompson is a bit of a mess.

they tried to make that fight like 10 years ago in alabama but did the bait and switch with the main event
Those bastards...I'd have actually paid for that one, just for the hilarity of it.

I rememeber when he whooped Jonny Knoxvilles ass in a store

The Tyson that fought Holyfield was already past his prime, and was a mentally defeated fighter. Tyson did eventually fight Lewis in a fight he probably shouldn't have taken in the first place.

Between losing Cus D'Amato, firing Kevin Rooney and drinking the Don King kool-aid, Tyson was completely fucked with no direction. The Tyson that fought Spinks would have beaten both Holyfield and probably Lewis. He pretty much abandoned his peek-a-boo style of fighting from the Bruno fight onwards, a style which allowed him to fight successfully in close quarters.

The Mike Tyson saga/story is a sad one and it's a shame, because he was an amazing boxer. He turned into an uneducated, angry brawler once Don King got his hooks into him, which I why I'm of the opinion there were TWO boxers named Mike Tyson, but only one Iron Mike.

So basically what you are saying is Tyson was REALLY mentally weak

Also Tyson wasn't the one people thought wouldn't pass the medical tests. Holyfield was. Holyfeild was FAR more past his prime then Tyson was when they fought

Basically, in spite of all his stand-up ability, as soon as he goes on the ground for any reason, he's too round and unathletic to get too his feet or intelligently defend himself without getting finished, so he's not indicative of how any other boxer would fare in a MMA fight.

He has several wins by submission and even swept the 408 pounds of Zuluzhino. He wasn't that bad when he managed to establish top control.

FFS Holly Holm barely gets mentioned during MMA / Boxing convos

method=get&s=butterbean-gif.gif
He still kicks better (the leg comes closer to the opponent) than Cormier.

Back