Why is Butterbean never mentioned in MMA vs Boxing talks?

Totally serious question here.

Butterbean started as a Boxer in the early 90's and made his MMA debut in 2003, he has 90+ professional boxing fights, and almost 30 professional MMA fights, however, when we talk about MMA vs Boxing the only fights that come up are Couture vs Toney and Silvya vs Mercer...

Not only has Butterbean fought more MMA fights, but he also has more wins via submission than TKO o KO. I think he makes for a more interesting case when debating between MMA and Boxing, what do you guys think?

Cause he was a novelty.

Hmm. Probably because Floyd is one of the best boxers ever and Conor is one of the best MMA fighters today, and they’re both huge stars.

I guess because he was never high level in either sport.

He was more of a super heavyweight tough guy in boxing, generally he would fight 4 round fights, then in MMA he's really more of a journeyman.

No doubt he's a tough guy but he never reached the top level.

So basically what you are saying is Tyson was REALLY mentally weak

Also Tyson wasn't the one people thought wouldn't pass the medical tests. Holyfield was. Holyfeild was FAR more past his prime then Tyson was when they fought

What do you mean basically? That's pretty much exactly what I said. Cus D'Amato/Bill Cayton/Kevin Rooney kept him grounded and focused.

After Don King, the rape allegations/prison time, Givens publicly humiliating him, the speculation of the Douglas fight, everyone trying to gouge him... Tyson was a shadow of his former self and not at all the same fighter.

As far as passing the medicals goes, Holyfield was fine once he stopped using HGH (iirc).

After Don King, the rape allegations/prison time, Givens publicly humiliating him, the speculation of the Douglas fight, everyone trying to gouge him... Tyson was a shadow of his former self and not at all the same fighter.

Well it didn't help that he started fighting guys that were not afraid of him. We don't know how "prime" Tyson would have done vs great Boxers. My guess is he would have mentally cracked. The guy is the definition of a mental midget

Love to see Lungu vs Butterbean in a fight of any shape of form!

Butterbean started as a Boxer in the early 90's and made his MMA debut in 2003, he has 90+ professional boxing fights, and almost 30 professional MMA fights, however, when we talk about MMA vs Boxing the only fights that come up are Couture vs Toney and Silvya vs Mercer...

Not only has Butterbean fought more MMA fights, but he also has more wins via submission than TKO o KO. I think he makes for a more interesting case when debating between MMA and Boxing, what do you guys think?

You have a point

Because MMA vs boxing just isn't such a popular topic at all.

And Butterbean isn't nearly as forgotten in that conversation as Ray Mercer, who is 1-0 in MMA, with his one and only fight being a 9-second KO of former UFC champ Tim Sylvia, even before he became completely irrelevant in MMA.

Because he fought at Super Heavyweight or openweight.

Plus, his wins in Pride are against Zuluzinho and a WWF guy. Minowaman was outweighed by over 200 pounds and still armbarred him.

Every now and then, petey, ya gotta drop in on a thread like this and throw down some old school knowledge to show em why you got the orange name.

Edit: holy shit, this is an old thread.

I think it's because he's seen as a freakshow fighter who can rarely if ever make weight in a legitimate division. Both for boxing and MMA.

Butterbean was the man but he isn't considered a real boxer. He came up from toughman. He only fought 4 rounds or so.

Butterbean would KO everyone on this site in the same day.

And he'd knock Ngannou into another stratosphere in a boxing match.

He is.

But not in a UFC forum.

Back