Why is Eddie Alvares so Afraid of Dustin Porrier?

gonna have to watch their fight again, I think. Cant remember any details. But I remember enjoying it.

I don't know what Alvarez is thinking but considering his fight history and his record I don't think he's afraid of anyone, I'm sure he would step back in with Mcgregor any day to try and avenge his loss and I don't think he'd be doing it just for the money. I think one of the main reasons he hasn't agreed to fight Dustin Poirier again is because Eddie is ranked number 3 and fighting and potentially losing to a lower ranked fighter is not helping his case for another title shot. Personally I want to see the winner of Kevin Lee vs Barboza fight Poirier and Tony Ferguson fight Eddie Alvarez next, I know the timelines and injuries may not be perfect but I think that would be pretty wicked to see. I think it would also be exciting if Ferguson fought Poirier next and Alvarez got the winner of Lee vs Barboza... Either way I don't think Poirier vs Alvarez 2 needs to happen, not yet anyway.

i mean, yea i guess, IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GONNA LOSE, why not avoid fighting him right? isn't that the definition of a DUCK??

{<huh}

wasn't Poireir on the ground begging for mercy before he got hit with the knee?
No that's some foggy memory bullshit, I rewatched this to be sure Poirier kicking Eddies ass (he's probably close to be finished) eddie lands a desperate takedown, turns in into a standing guillotine during the scramble out eddie throws 3 illegal knees.

I don't know what Alvarez is thinking but considering his fight history and his record I don't think he's afraid of anyone, I'm sure he would step back in with Mcgregor any day to try and avenge his loss and I don't think he'd be doing it just for the money. I think one of the main reasons he hasn't agreed to fight Dustin Poirier again is because Eddie is ranked number 3 and fighting and potentially losing to a lower ranked fighter is not helping his case for another title shot. Personally I want to see the winner of Kevin Lee vs Barboza fight Poirier and Tony Ferguson fight Eddie Alvarez next, I know the timelines and injuries may not be perfect but I think that would be pretty wicked to see. I think it would also be exciting if Ferguson fought Poirier next and Alvarez got the winner of Lee vs Barboza... Either way I don't think Poirier vs Alvarez 2 needs to happen, not yet anyway.
Basically you're in agreement Alvarez is afraid/ducking, being afraid isn't about taking a beating it's the fear of loss of rank/title/drawing power where the tuff guys get scaird.

Always get a kick out of this “fighter X is afraid of Y” BS. These guys FIGHT for a living.
I GUARANTEE you Germaine was afraid to fight Cyborg. I also believe that GSP didn't vacate that MW belt for medical reasons.

Always get a kick out of this “fighter X is afraid of Y” BS. These guys FIGHT for a living.
I agree that it sounds stupid to talk about a fighter being "afraid".
But maybe the OP thinks it's so obviously implicit that no top10 pro fighter is "afraid" in the sense of not daring to get in the ring with a fighter and take some punishment.

When we're talking about top 10 pro fighters, "afraid" might just mean "scared of losing their rank".

So when someone is "afraid of Fighter Y" it could just mean they wanna avoid that fighter cause he's a high risk, low reward fight.

Of course, fighting a lower ranked guy is always relatively high risk, low reward. But some are more than others.

For example - Eddie might be down with fighting a really low ranked opponent who he's SURE he can beat. But he might think Dustin is significantly more difficult than that, and at the same time not highly ranked enough to make the chance of winning worthwhile.

Last edited:
While I agree that it sounds stupid.
But thinking about it - we could say it's implicit that everyone knows no top10 pro fighter is scared of taking damage or getting into a fight with anyone.

And then it just means that someone is scared of losing their rank, and afraid of fighting certain guys in a risk vs reward kind of way.
i.e. they might fight a lower ranked guy if they think it's a favorable matchup, but they are afraid of fighting lower ranked guys who they think are decent sized risks for them.
100% agree. There is definitely a business aspect to the sport. I just find it hard to believe that fighter x is “afraid” of fighter y.

i mean, yea i guess, IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GONNA LOSE, why not avoid fighting him right? isn't that the definition of a DUCK??

{<huh}

It's not fear you dingleberry it's risk versus reward, a loss to a lower ranked opponent is worse than a loss to a higher ranked opponent in terms earning a higher rank or title shot.

Basically you're in agreement Alvarez is afraid/ducking, being afraid isn't about taking a beating it's the fear of loss of rank/title/drawing power where the tuff guys get scaird.

It's not fear you dingleberry it's risk versus reward, a loss to a lower ranked opponent is worse than a loss to a higher ranked opponent in terms earning a higher rank or title shot.

A theory: Eddie might figure a rematch with Dustin would not build his record that much.

Fighting the same guy twice can sometimes make you look less impressive, since you get fewer names on your record.

Just look at Sherdog - many seem to value the amount of names in a record more than the amount of fights.
For example: a popular statement is something like "Cain has only fought 4 guys since 2011".
He's fought 7 times since 2011. But because he faced JDS three times and Bigfoot twice he only got 4 names - and that's harder to market than 7 unique names.

Last edited:

the point is HE THINKS HE COULD LOSE. if you really think you're the best, why are you afraid that this guy who supposedly isn't as good as you could beat you?

he's doing the same shit that Conor did, he just doesn't have a belt. he's holding his rank hostage because he thinks a lower ranked guy might beat him? then why is he even ranked? he doesn't think he should defend his ranking? how did he get his ranking? obviously somebody ranked higher than he was accepted to fight him right? so why doesn't he do the same? you know, so the ranking actually MEANS something, because we see that you can beat the #6 guy or whatever. now if Poirer beats him, obviously he didn't deserve to be #3.

no matter which way you spin it, Alvarez is being a duck in this.

I must have short term memory

before Eddie hit the illegal knee, wasnt he about to KO Poirerer anyway??

I know Dustin was winning the fight before that, but Eddie had him in some deep shit if I recall correctly

I was drunk though
no, no he wasn't. eddie got raped for the entire duration of the fight and then caught dustin, but still he wasn't that close to being finished at all

Back